Battery died.. :-(

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 03:43 PM
6sol4me will become famous soon enough
Battery died.. :-(

Drove my car on Friday back and forth to work and parked it in the garage when I came home. Saturday when I wanted to take it for a ride, several error messages popped up (battery drained, low tire pressure and several others) and the engine did not start. So I called Porsche Fremont and they were super friendly and connected me to Porsche roadside assistance (they also scheduled an appointment for next week to have it checked out). Porsche roadside assistance arranged a jump start, but the guy that showed up never jumped a 911 before and we could not open the frunk... so I did some searching online and found the procedure of using the terminals in the driver fuse box to get some power to the car to be able to open the frunk. This took over 30 minutes before I finally could open it!. from here he was able to jumped the car..

Has anyone else experienced this? I made plans on Saturday and had to tell my friends that my new $100K+ toy did not wanted to start.. i was not a happy camper!!!

Interestingly, when took the car around the block, the tire pressure warning remained (add +6 PSI to rear-left).. BUT the TPM picture of the car showed all tires to be at the right PSI... I finally went into the TPM options menu and the message disappeared...

I do have entry&drive and I don't lock my car once it is in the garage.. I found one article that this could be the cause.. seems strange as I have the car for about a year now and never locked it in the garage... my volt indicator shows ~ 13.7V.

Anyway, I'm bringing it into the dealer next week to have it checked out..

One more note on Porsche Roadside Assistance, they called me twice to check on me if the tow truck contacted me already and later on to check if everything turned out okay.. great service.

Old 06-15-2014, 04:18 PM
John's 991 is on a distinguished road
Yes a dead battery is a pain and trickle charger is your friend. Something must not be right to drain the battery overnight. Im sure the dealer will check out if there is a drain on the system.

I put mine on a trickle charger whenever it will be more than a few days before driving it. That way the battery is always topped off when I get in. But you should be able go for at least a week or two minimum.

Old 06-15-2014, 04:20 PM
rnl
rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !
Reset the tire size from winter then to summer and the tire warning will go away.

Old 06-15-2014, 05:42 PM
PorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond repute
My battery died too after about 1 1/2 years. When you take it in, have them check the alternator. Mine went bad and failed to charge the battery when driving.

Old 06-15-2014, 08:08 PM
dyim will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by 6sol4me
I do have entry&drive and I don't lock my car once it is in the garage.. I found one article that this could be the cause..
I have heard that too and I always lock mine, especially mine is a 3 season car.

I assume you do not use a trickle charger.

I see you have a 2013. When did you pick it up? Was it sitting at the dealer's lot for a while? What is current mileage? How often do you drive it? Short trips?

Old 06-15-2014, 09:21 PM
mrchua is on a distinguished road
This happened to my friend. The dealership discovered that this happens to keyless entry equipped cars.

If you leave the key within the range of the car (inside or within the garage) the car's locking sensor will detect the key nearby and will continue to lock/unlock the system. This eventually will drain the battery.

Hope this helps

Old 06-16-2014, 10:49 AM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
It highly unlikely that entry and drive or leaving locked/unlocked is the primary cause of a dead battery in an overnight situation.

Sure there can be a higher drain, in some cases but the reality is compared to starting and headlights it is a relatively small electrical load. But in general that just accentuates a problem that already exists..

Clearly the primary issue is either a bad/aged battery or a problem with the charging system that results in the battery not being properly charged during normal operation or a battery with a severely diminished capacity.

Old 06-16-2014, 11:10 AM
PKumarC2 is on a distinguished road
if you don't put over 6k miles a year on your car, Porsche will not warranty that battery

Old 06-16-2014, 12:54 PM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by PKumarC2
if you don't put over 6k miles a year on your car, Porsche will not warranty that battery
Do they state that specifically in the warranty?

Old 06-16-2014, 08:00 PM
lunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to behold
I rarely lock my car (and I have Entry & Drive) and the battery holds it's charge.
I have noticed myself leaving the ignition on before.
Perhaps that is what happened.
Since you don't remove the key it is easy to forget to turn it off all the way.

Also, I changed my battery to a 95Ah which I am sure helps a bit.
If you are changing it, get the big 95Ah.

Old 06-17-2014, 07:59 AM
Originally Posted by dyim
I have heard that too and I always lock mine, especially mine is a 3 season car.

I assume you do not use a trickle charger.

I see you have a 2013. When did you pick it up? Was it sitting at the dealer's lot for a while? What is current mileage? How often do you drive it? Short trips?
The car is just over a year old and I picked it up from the factory in Germany.. I've driven it about 6.5K miles and when i take it to work it's about 30 miles one way.. so no real short trips... taking it to the dealer this morning.. haven't started the car since Saturday after they jumped it and I drove around a bit.. so keeping my fingers crossed it will start...

Old 06-17-2014, 12:06 PM
Originally Posted by PKumarC2
So my service advisor told me the same story this morning... but since I'm at 6600 miles, its still covered... curious what they are going to do...

Now about the loaner car the provided me... i made a reservation for a service with a loaner car.. so here i am, dropping my almost $150K car off and i drove off in a Nissan Versa!!! I don't expect a fancy car but this really sets the low bar.. I'm a tall guy (6"4 ) and the car they gave me is the worse car i've ever driven, I can hardly fit it in! I own a BMW as well as a Mercedes and for both cars I receive a nice loaner car when I take it in for service.. got a lot of comments this morning when I parked "my" Nissan Versa at work... and than I have to explain this is my loaner car for my Porsche 911 service... btw, this is at Porsche Fremont, the same place I bought my car...

Old 06-17-2014, 12:42 PM
m5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nice
I once got picked up by a rental car company and had to take a Chrysler minivan.... First time for everything... Most of the time they give me a Cayenne...

Old 06-17-2014, 12:56 PM
plenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by 6sol4me
.. so here i am, dropping my almost $150K car off and i drove off in a Nissan Versa!!!
wow that blows! I may be spoiled, but just yesterday I had to leave my '14 C4S for a few hours at the dealer (I originally went there thinking I'd wait) and instead they gave me a brand new Boxster S that only had 1k miles on it and just about every option available! In the times I've taken a loaner from this dealer, I've had:

Cayenne
Panamera S
Panamera
Cayenne S
Panamera S

and now Boxster S. All brand new cars with very few miles..... Sorry, bragging! lol The worst thing about the loaners is that they have the dealer name on the rear window!

Oh well, sorry to hear about your battery problems! I learned from this thread that battery isn't warranted if you drive less than 6k miles in a year? Yikes! I need to drive more! I usually only hit 5k miles in a year max, as my DD!

Old 06-17-2014, 01:12 PM
Hmmmm, now I'm worried.

I looked up the Porsche USA warranty and I didn't see specifically that the battery warranty would be void...

But in general they define responsibility for normal use as 15 miles a day or 6000 miles a year (rolling). And non off road use... They do mention if you drive less than that you should use a battery maintainer...

I wouldn't interpret that as saying the battery warranty is void if you don't drive that much. Any more than I would void the engine and other warranty which if applied the same way would do the same thing.

My expectation from that would be that you need to maintain the car appropriately if outside of what they call normal.. A battery maintainer would most certainly seem to be reasonable.

So I'd fight like hell with them if my year old car's battery went bad..

But what is scary is based on the warranty criteria they could say that about almost anything if you didn't drive 6K miles a year.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Battery died.. :-(