991 C4S Wheel Spacer Install - Part 1

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 08:58 AM
plenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant future
991 C4S Wheel Spacer Install - Part 1

Hi All- Following is a detailed DIY for installation of Adaptec wheel spacers on my '14 991 C4S. I've broken this into 2 parts, due to the number of pictures I'd like to include. Link to the Part 2 at end of this post....

Tools I Used:

2.5 ton Floor jack
Wheel stops (2)
19mm Deep Socket
1/2 Ratchet
1/2 Torque Wrench
Porsche Wheel Lock removal socket
Rubber Mallet
Wheel hanger pins (2)
Wire Brush
Brake Cleaner
Lift-off Oil, Grease, Adhesive remover
Permatex Nickel Anti-Seize

I know, this is a very simple project, and some would probably argue one that hardly warrants a detailed DIY. Leave it to me to make the simple things in life much more complex!

Anyways, I ordered a set of wheel spacers from Adaptec Speedware (board sponsor) via Amazon at a great price. I have the stock PASM and wheels on my car -- I do not have PDCC or SPASM or factory spacers. So, stock ride-height with PASM (which for those curious to know is 10mm lower than non-S, non-SportPASM 991s). I feel that the stock setup leaves a large gap around the wheel wells, especially in the wide-body rear quarters, and this project is really about the cosmetic improvement. I do plan on adding H&R springs in the near future, which will further enhance the look. That will be a separate DIY later this year.

The package I chose for my C4S was 7mm Front and 15mm Rear spacers. Received the package in several days. Although the ad didn't state what was included in the purchase price, a set of extended wheel bolts was included in the package.

Here's a picture of the package contents:

I didn't have the option with the order I placed to change the color to black, but in hindsight I should have at least requested black bolts.... More on that in a few. So I received the spacers and bolts in silver.

Heres the set, side view to show difference in thickness (F/R):

Overall the quality was good -- I noticed a few small burrs around the inside edge of the rears, but a quick shot with metal file smoothed it out easily.

So let's get started! I began with lifting the car ( I am doing one corner at a time -- you may want to set-up on jack stands and do all at once...) and removing the stock wheel bolts. I used my standard 19MM deep socket with 1/2 ratchet. I put blue tape around the socket to protect the wheel surface from scratching -- I did the same with the Porsche wheel lock socket that you'll need to retrieve from your toolbox.

Here's a quick comparison of the stock vs extended bolts. The length of your bolts will vary based on thickness of the spacer you've chosen.

Before removing the wheel, I got out my trusty hanging pins to make wheel removal and placement much easier and safer!

Before I continue.... I mentioned earlier that the order I placed included silver spacers and bolts. I really should have ordered black powder-coat, as the OEM stock bolts are black, and I also intend to switch to black wheels in the near future. I looked at the silver on my car with the stock wheels, and didn't like. So, my quick fix was to PlastiDip the bolts in flat black. Yes, I painted myself! Here's a shot of the jig I used to hold the bolts in place while adding each coat (I did 5 coats total, with 20 min set time between each coat):

In the end, the PlastiDip coating will probably have to be replaced, but for now it works perfectly and is a lot cheaper than purchasing a new set of bolts!!!

So I get the wheel off... I'll post a set of pictures here that simply show for the curious what is "behind the wheel" on the rear of a 991 4S.

In this pic I highlighted a curved black plastic piece that is an air director to route cooler air to the brakes.

I also took the opportunity to do some wheel-well cleaning, as well as the brake calipers and other bits. I found that my car had picked-up a TON of small rock and pebbles from the crappy roads around my area, and there are a lot of spots where the rock bits just sit on top of flat surfaces and get caught in cracks, like this area just around the drivers-side muffler heatshielding, wheel well trim and rear apron panel:

With each wheel I removed, I thoroughly cleaned front face and rear tub. They weren't too bad, but there were many small tar bits stuck to the tub surface....
Before:

I used a grease, oil, adhesive and goo remover called Lift-Off to get rid of the tar bits and oil spots, before getting out the detailing products to shine everything-up! Lift-off works great, and very happy with the results! dav a bit on a cloth, place on the tar spot, and it literally dissolves - very little rubbing necessary.

After:

And final, cleaned wheel ready for mounting...

But let's get back to installing the spacers!!!

In the drivers side rear, I first cleaned the hub and mounting surface. I used combination of wire brush, brake cleaner to remove any rust or surface debri. Overall it was pretty clean, but I could definitely see that over time the areas where harsh NE winter salt and wet weather will continue to oxidize the surfaces it can reach.

I debated a short while over using anti-seize.... In the end I used my handy Permatex nickel anti-seize, putting just small dabs at various points on the surface. This will prevent the metal surfaces from sticking together in the future, and make it easier to remove the wheel, etc. I have experienced where a wheel would not budge from (previous car) the mounting without extreme pounding and things like liquid wrench, and I would like to avoid that from happening on my 991.

The first bit of anti-seize goes between new spacer and hub....

Placed the 15mm spacer on hub, pushed into place. Fit very snug, had to tap it lightly with my rubber mallet.

Once the spacer was set in place, I added a very small bit of anti-seize to the surface where the wheel will contact the spacer. I then put the hanger pins in place and we are ready to remount the wheel!

And here is a pic of the wheel installed in the rear. I've pointed-out how when viewing from above you can see the spacer. This will be of interest to those who have black or other color wheels. You may want to choose the black option for the spacers so the silver doesn't clash!

For additional details about installing the front 7mm spacers, and "After" pictures once I had all installed, visit Part 2 of the DIY: 991 C4S Wheel Spacer Install - Part 2

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1F82592D-EC83-471E-AA71-0B079673DEC3_zpswofxho1l.jpg
Views:	6239
Size:	188.3 KB
ID:	388236   Click image for larger version

Name:	449FA676-FBF2-4885-AC57-416785B3C3FA_zpsjacrmcn5.jpg
Views:	5746
Size:	183.0 KB
ID:	388237   Click image for larger version

Name:	503EE58E-708D-4949-9B6D-0F8896112DF2_zpsp9lprk71.jpg
Views:	5708
Size:	172.4 KB
ID:	388238   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0542_zps5e4d2b96.jpg
Views:	6068
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	388239   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0536_zpsf93b3552.jpg
Views:	5644
Size:	297.4 KB
ID:	388240  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0551_zpsec6b9f87.jpg
Views:	5673
Size:	220.0 KB
ID:	388246   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0535_zps9468e0cf.jpg
Views:	5630
Size:	264.6 KB
ID:	388247   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0543_zpse6bd547f.jpg
Views:	5604
Size:	205.3 KB
ID:	388248   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0544_zpsc9b77e5c.jpg
Views:	5577
Size:	221.7 KB
ID:	388249   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0549_zpsf3324b60.jpg
Views:	5674
Size:	200.5 KB
ID:	388250  

Name:	IMG_0546_zpsc06a0c65.jpg
Views:	5818
Size:	210.2 KB
ID:	388251   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0545_zpsca54f78c.jpg
Views:	5698
Size:	191.9 KB
ID:	388253   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0555_zps7614526b.jpg
Views:	5533
Size:	177.8 KB
ID:	388257   Click image for larger version

Name:	6098df5f-1b4c-427d-aba5-e8a0ed8650e0_zpsa9c1a9c6.jpg
Views:	5755
Size:	193.4 KB
ID:	388259   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0579_zps2f057b61.jpg
Views:	5567
Size:	204.2 KB
ID:	388260  

Name:	IMG_0550_zps2c778a28.jpg
Views:	6025
Size:	176.7 KB
ID:	388261   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0548_zps524b35d6.jpg
Views:	5724
Size:	198.5 KB
ID:	388262   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0547_zps658992d6.jpg
Views:	5623
Size:	202.4 KB
ID:	388263   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0552_zpsd85d8fc4.jpg
Views:	5958
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	388264   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0558_zps337077a4.jpg
Views:	10011
Size:	166.9 KB
ID:	388265  

Last edited by plenum; 06-17-2014 at 09:47 AM. Reason: Add link to part 2
Old 06-17-2014, 09:04 AM
socalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to all
In part II, did the Plasti-Dip chip and peal off when you put a tool to the lug nuts? I cannot imagine it wouldn't as it is very fragile.

Cannot wait for the second part! The waiting is killing me!!!......

Old 06-17-2014, 10:58 AM
plenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by socalsteve
In part II, did the Plasti-Dip chip and peal off when you put a tool to the lug nuts? I cannot imagine it wouldn't as it is very fragile.

Cannot wait for the second part! The waiting is killing me!!!......
Thanks for taking the time to read thru my post! Actually, the plastidip is quite solid when applied with the right techniques. I used 5 layers, so it was thick and I let it set-up 20 minutes in 74 degree weather in-between coats. By the time I put the wheels back on, it was solid. Now, that isn't to argue that it won't nick-up or come off -- but if you do it right, and take care when using your wrench, you won't see a single mark on the bolts from the socket. I use a deep socket, and before turning make sure it is firmly seated on the bolt head. Then when tightening, I make sure that the socket doesn't move around at all, which is usually how you get marks on the bolt head. I don't use an impact wrench, I turn manually then use a proper torque wrench to set.

But even if I did nick one up, I can simply remove that single bolt and repaint in a matter of minutes. Long-term I'd rather have powder-coated bolts, but for now in a pinch this works just great, and I'll leave them for now.

Sorry didn't add this last bit to my DIY posts.... Thanks again.

Old 06-17-2014, 11:57 AM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
Nice job on this.. !

My first thought when I saw the post was... "it's just pull the wheel off and add the spacer and put the wheel back on"..

But it's good info and always nice to see someone else do it before getting into the middle of something simple and going.. oops.. didn't think about that..

Should get it put on the sticky/DIY...

Old 06-17-2014, 01:27 PM
Money2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond repute
Well done. I always appreciate others that enjoy the details.

Old 06-18-2014, 04:27 PM
bluepr0 is on a distinguished road
Did you find an improvement over the driving experience?

Old 06-18-2014, 07:15 PM
Originally Posted by bluepr0
Did you find an improvement over the driving experience?
My own personal situation, I wouldn't say there was any change in driving experience -- at least not technically. The spacers definitely widen your track, so I would expect there is someone who can attest to an "improvement" in some cornering or other high-speed maneuver. But I have not tracked my car yet, and have only taken it out for "spirited" driving around my area - not nearly anything that I would notice change in handling from something like spacers. In the end, this is much more a change for aesthetics and from that perspective I am very happy with the "look" achieved.

Plus I take great satisfaction in doing all the work myself....

Hope this helps!

Old 04-01-2017, 09:20 PM
911carrera4s is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi everyone,

My name is Frank and I am new to the 6speedOnline community!

I am planning to get spacers for my 991.1 4S (w/ SPASM) that has the Carrera S wheels. I heard that, for a ''Very FLUSH'' set up, some Porsche wheels require different spacers it could play between 15mm - 17mm and even 18mm in the rear.. and possibly 10mm in the front? Anybody has fitted their 4S (carrera S wheels) with such spacers? (pictures please, if possible)

I've been navigating throughout the forums/topics but I couldn't find a specific answer to my question (considering I have the carrera S wheels that, I believe, are narrower)

A BIG THANK YOU

Attached Images  
Old 04-02-2017, 08:06 AM
Originally Posted by 911carrera4s
Hi everyone,

My name is Frank and I am new to the 6speedOnline community!

I am planning to get spacers for my 991.1 4S (w/ SPASM) that has the Carrera S wheels. I heard that, for a ''Very FLUSH'' set up, some Porsche wheels require different spacers it could play between 15mm - 17mm and even 18mm in the rear.. and possibly 10mm in the front? Anybody has fitted their 4S (carrera S wheels) with such spacers? (pictures please, if possible)

I've been navigating throughout the forums/topics but I couldn't find a specific answer to my question (considering I have the carrera S wheels that, I believe, are narrower)

A BIG THANK YOU
In my original post I was installing 7mm front and 15mm rear spacers on Carrera S wheels. This achieved a much more "flush" look with the wheel arch lip. You could go further with 18mm in the rear but you will have a LOT more road stuff thrown up the rear bumper cover as a result. While the top edge of the tire sidewallis flush at the arch, down below the tread of the tire sticks out considerably more than stock. Even with 15mm in my case the areas just behind the wheels took a Heck of a beating!!

Old 04-02-2017, 09:50 AM
77Tony is on a distinguished road
Hi Frank, Recenlty purchased new wheels and no longer need these spacers. They worked perfectly on the GTS. (2) 15mm spacers with extended lug bolts and (2) 5mm spacers $ 130.00 includes free ship to Conti US & Hawaii. Rears spacers (edges only) are painted similar color as hats to blend in. pm 77tony

Attached Images