Car and Driver C2 vs M4

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 09:28 PM
frank69m has a spectacular aura aboutfrank69m has a spectacular aura about
If you look at the scoring carefully, the 911 lost because of Rear Seat Space and Rear Seat Comfort. Haha. So, if I didn't care about the rear seat the base 911 is better than the M4? Also, why didn't the 911 have the PDK. It should have been even quicker. And again, not an S.

Old 07-18-2014, 10:11 PM
neil.schneider has a spectacular aura aboutneil.schneider has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by frank69m
If you look at the scoring carefully, the 911 lost because of Rear Seat Space and Rear Seat Comfort. Haha. So, if I didn't care about the rear seat the base 911 is better than the M4? Also, why didn't the 911 have the PDK. It should have been even quicker. And again, not an S.
Agreed. If the 911 had pdk AND sport chrono it would have been closer....much closer. That would have pushed the price up too high for this comparison.

Old 07-18-2014, 10:35 PM
lunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to behold
For what Porsche charges, they do need to do better.
At least we dont see ourselves comming and going, like every other 4 series owner.

Old 07-18-2014, 10:44 PM
frank69m has a spectacular aura aboutfrank69m has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by neil.schneider
Agreed. If the 911 had pdk AND sport chrono it would have been closer....much closer. That would have pushed the price up too high for this comparison.

That's why I think these comparisons are dumb. I mean, let's take out the sunroof option, PSE and the price would be closer. But like I said, take away those rear seat numbers, and the 911 (non-S) wins. Not that I'm trying to defend the Porsche. It's really these dumb car magazines and how they compare the cars. I'm not saying that the M4 is a bad car. It's just in Southern California, I see a late edition M3 every other block. It gets old :-). Probably start seeing the M4 every other block soon.

Old 07-18-2014, 11:07 PM
Steve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by neil.schneider
The M4 is 10 seconds quicker around Nurburgring than a 991 base. No available option is going to close that gap. The 991 is still the car to own and operate though for many reasons. Does anyone know why Porsche chose to abandon the 3.6 liter motor for the base 911 in favor of the 3.4? I'm assuming they just didn't want to keep making 3 motors so close in displacement, which would make economic sense. Clearly the base needs the extra horses, although one would think it would outperform the lesser powered 981 Boxster S/Cayman S which share the same motor, which it doesn't. I'm very surprised Porsche didn't ensure the base 991 would outperform at least the 997.1 S. Negative there too. With a 3.6 I bet Porsche could have easily met the 997.2 S performance level, which is good enough to lap the ring quicker than a M4.

Old 07-18-2014, 11:15 PM
1analguy is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by shaytun
I guess people are reading my post wrong. I was just saying Porsche always loses because of the price. And I am happy I have a 991 and that's why I could never get an M because the 991 is superior. I was making a joke about the costly decision because I will always spend to get the 911 regardless of value. Maybe a little too much sarcasm for this forum?
I don't know about everyone else, but I understood you perfectly, first time around...

Old 07-19-2014, 12:54 AM
galion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud of
Meh...Just an overstyled and overboosted 3 series.

Old 07-19-2014, 02:28 AM
lunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by 1analguy
I don't know about everyone else, but I understood you perfectly, first time around...
Yes, it was perfectly .
Made funnier by the people who took it serioisly.

Old 07-19-2014, 05:02 AM
STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !
I guess people are reading my post wrong. I was just saying Porsche always loses because of the price. And I am happy I have a 991 and that's why I could never get an M because the 991 is superior. I was making a joke about the costly decision because I will always spend to get the 911 regardless of value. Maybe a little too much sarcasm for this forum?
Gotcha!

I wasn't in a joking mood when I read it! : )

Old 07-19-2014, 06:19 AM
SMLaker will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by STG958
Article is:

"2015 BMW M4 vs. 2014 Porsche 911 Carrera"

To top things off, it's M4 vs. a BASE Carrera (not as S!!!!)

Looks like you have a C2S correct?? You can start liking your 991 again!

Geez
+1...again apples to oranges...I understand they were doing their best to keep price as close as possible, but these are completely different cars. I agree the M "feels" faster and the torque curve peaks lower throwing you back in your seat like an AMG, but take both out to mountains or track and it doesn't handle or corner anything like a 911.

Old 07-19-2014, 06:21 AM
SMLaker will become famous soon enough
Sorry...also missed the sarcasm...

Old 07-19-2014, 08:20 AM
Steve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by SMLaker
+1...again apples to oranges...I understand they were doing their best to keep price as close as possible, but these are completely different cars. I agree the M "feels" faster and the torque curve peaks lower throwing you back in your seat like an AMG, but take both out to mountains or track and it doesn't handle or corner anything like a 911.
Seriously? I don't have any interest in the M4 but it's buckets more agile and quicker than the 991 base. The fact the 981 Boxster S/Cayman S slaughter the 991 base around Nurburgring with detuned versions of the same motor show just how weak the 991 chassis is. 911s are capable only due to power, not cornering.

Old 07-19-2014, 08:55 AM
wanderfalke will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Steve997S
Seriously? I don't have any interest in the M4 but it's buckets more agile and quicker than the 991 base. The fact the 981 Boxster S/Cayman S slaughter the 991 base around Nurburgring with detuned versions of the same motor show just how weak the 991 chassis is. 911s are capable only due to power, not cornering.
More agile? What 991 are you driving, mine is light on its feet. It is always composed and ready for the next hairpin..

Last edited by wanderfalke; 07-19-2014 at 09:05 AM.
Old 07-19-2014, 09:00 AM
Originally Posted by Steve997S
Are there really legitimate ring times posted on the base 991 as well as 981s, with comparable drivers?

Its no secret the 981 is a good chasis.
991 is not exactly flawed, its very competitive with more powerfull cars.

Old 07-19-2014, 09:12 AM
galion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by wanderfalke
More agile? What 991 are you driving, mine is light on its feet. It is always composed and ready for the next hairpin..

ohh....He drives a 981s

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Car and Driver C2 vs M4