Car and Driver C2 vs M4

Old 07-19-2014, 04:02 PM
Capsfan is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Steve997S
How's that Kool-Aid taste?

911s have been known for ill-handling since the very beginning. Sublime steering, but cornering bordering on dangerous through the years. Porsche has done a great job to bring it to the level of performance it now exhibits, but without the mass electronics and super wide rubber on the rear, the car would live to swap ends.
Steve, Do you race your Cayman or just drive for fun?

Old 07-19-2014, 04:42 PM
gtr
gtr has a spectacular aura aboutgtr has a spectacular aura aboutgtr has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Fkim011
Do people even cross shop these 2 cars?

If I was in the hunt for a 911 again, I would probably look at the R8, GTR, used SLS, used Continental Supersport and the new Z06.... but not the M3.

Yes, I cross shopped these, but was more interested in the M4 vs Cayman GTS. With the advantage the bimmer has in terms of room and utility, I had widen the gap even further and went with the M3 instead.

Beater, daily driver, and super car. Every car has a purpose .

Old 07-19-2014, 06:13 PM
Steve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Capsfan
You are referencing cars from 20-30 years ago and when compared to their competitors Porsche has always done well. I have had many Porsches, BMWs, Ferrari, Audi, AMG, etc and that is what I am comparing it to. What's your reference point?
My reference point is owning 2 997 S cars over the past 5 years--up until 6 weeks ago. Turn in is not ideal, neither is mid corner speed, and you have to wait what seems forever until you can apply full throttle exiting corners. I also used to blow by them regularly in my Z4M Coupe on the ring. I'm not knocking them. They're great cars and there isn't a more iconic GT on the planet. But let's don't go trying to believe it's impeccable. Still waiting for someone to try to explain why the base 991 is so slow on the ring given 350 hp, the same 991 chassis as the S, and brakes from the 997S which should be up to the task.

Old 07-19-2014, 06:23 PM
frank69m has a spectacular aura aboutfrank69m has a spectacular aura about
My reference point is owning 2 997 S cars over the past 5 years--up until 6 weeks ago. Turn in is not ideal, neither is mid corner speed, and you have to wait what seems forever until you can apply full throttle exiting corners. I also used to blow by them regularly in my Z4M Coupe on the ring. I'm not knocking them. They're great cars and there isn't a more iconic GT on the planet. But let's don't go trying to believe it's impeccable. Still waiting for someone to try to explain why the base 991 is so slow on the ring given 350 hp, the same 991 chassis as the S, and brakes from the 997S which should be up to the task.

Since you had a 997S, maybe you should go and post this on the 997 forum instead of the 991 or are you just trying to cause controversy here?

Old 07-19-2014, 06:23 PM
Steve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond repute
Steve, Do you race your Cayman or just drive for fun?
That car is my DD and maybe just an interim DD until the Cayman GTS hits the scene. If I still lived in Germany, I would take it to the ring regularly though since it would be a blast there. But after living in Germany, the thought of track days in the US isn't that appealing. Speeds are still depressed from what the car is capable of. I actually think karting is way more fun.

Old 07-19-2014, 06:34 PM
Originally Posted by frank69m
Since you had a 997S, maybe you should go and post this on the 997 forum instead of the 991 or are you just trying to cause controversy here?
Are you serious? My posts are on point with the M4/base 991 discussion. Some of you guys just can't handle unbiased objective thought. God forbid someone blasphemes the iconic 911

Old 07-19-2014, 06:50 PM
SMLaker will become famous soon enough
Seriously? I don't have any interest in the M4 but it's buckets more agile and quicker than the 991 base. The fact the 981 Boxster S/Cayman S slaughter the 991 base around Nurburgring with detuned versions of the same motor show just how weak the 991 chassis is. 911s are capable only due to power, not cornering.
I will concede the last M I drove was a '10 M3 sedan...I currently have a '13 C2S cab with PDCC, sport chrono, PTV that IMO handles way better than the former...I have not driven the new M4.

Old 07-19-2014, 10:41 PM
Capsfan is on a distinguished road
Perhaps it is the driver? You are using some editor as your wholly Grail. I guarantee you won't catch me in a cayman, no chance. I'm certainly not the best out there, far from it, but if you have the ***** you can get into and out of a corner very well in a 911. The M is way to heavy although well balanced and now finally has some torque but it us not nearly as agile as a base 911 in the right hands.

Old 07-20-2014, 12:02 AM
wanderfalke will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by sportscentury
Yup, there are a few twilight zone comments in this thread.
Hi,
Rod Serling here, isn't the C class AMG and the RS4 the actual cars the magazine article should have been comparing to the M4 in the first place. Just saying. :-)

I would not want to sit in the back seat of either of those cars. I could sit in the back but would rather not.

I would not even try to get in the back seat of my car, that is just a place to hike a camera bag over the console and between the front seats. The M4 and 991 are apples and oranges.

Last edited by wanderfalke; 07-20-2014 at 12:28 AM.
Old 07-20-2014, 07:25 AM
lunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to behold
Where are these times you talk about?
Did Porsche attempt a max effort ring time for the 991 base?

Old 07-20-2014, 07:49 AM
FrstPorsche is on a distinguished road
So what does the cayman take to make it around the ring? Ive seen the video of the 991 3.4 do it in 7.44. The only time I've seen published for the cayman s is 755. I haven't seen any time faster than 7.44. Where does all this talk of the cayman "destroying" the 991 around the ring lol.

Old 07-20-2014, 07:59 AM
frank69m has a spectacular aura aboutfrank69m has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by FrstPorsche
So what does the cayman take to make it around the ring? Ive seen the video of the 991 3.4 do it in 7.44. The only time I've seen published for the cayman s is 755. I haven't seen any time faster than 7.44. Where does all this talk of the cayman "destroying" the 991 around the ring lol.

They are coming from a fantasy dream Steve997 had when he Turbo charged his Cayman. Maybe he saw those numbers in Car and Driver mag?

Old 07-20-2014, 08:44 AM
Originally Posted by FrstPorsche
It's fun to dream, isn't it?

NFW can a 991 base lap that quickly. That's Audi R8 V10 and Porsche 997 Turbo S territory. Both those cars produce over 500 hp. The official base 991 lap time is 8:02. Until there's another professional effort, it stands. Most likely it's there to stay. 7 seconds slower than the Cayman S. What's not to believe about that? The Cayman charges into corners. I'm hoping the Cayman GTS clocks at least a 7:50, which is on par with a 997S.

Old 07-20-2014, 08:53 AM
Perhaps it is the driver? You are using some editor as your wholly Grail. I guarantee you won't catch me in a cayman, no chance. I'm certainly not the best out there, far from it, but if you have the ***** you can get into and out of a corner very well in a 911. The M is way to heavy although well balanced and now finally has some torque but it us not nearly as agile as a base 911 in the right hands.
Let's go to Germany and test your theory. For sure you don't have the experience or ***** to keep up with me on the Autobahns, nor twisty B roads. What Americans learn about their own driving skills when they arrive in Germany, is that their skills are about to enter a steep learning curve. What's the top speed you've achieved in your car thus far? Be honest.

Old 07-20-2014, 09:02 AM
STALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to behold
Steve997S,
I track all my cars, I have had a lot, and a lot of track time over the last 15 years.

You have no idea what you are talking about regarding the 991 chassis. The 991 in fact is fast because of it chassis and stability, not it's motor.

The car is extremely well balanced and you can take such liberties with it that it often amazes me how Porsche got it to work so well.

Is it the best handling car or the quickest....no, but it does everything exceptionally well.

I have no doubt a Cayman is a better handling car, but your assumptions regarding the 991 are no where near the truth. On a side note I think the new Cayman GT4 is going to be the car to have.

Last edited by STALKER; 07-20-2014 at 09:06 AM.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Car and Driver C2 vs M4