Car and Driver C2 vs M4

Old 07-18-2014, 11:26 AM
shaytun will become famous soon enoughshaytun will become famous soon enough
Car and Driver C2 vs M4

Another Car and Driver test that the C2 was destined to lose based on price. At least the authors admit the C2 was the better car, but the M will always win on value and practicality. Both great cars but apples to oranges. My biggest mistake was getting a C2S and passing up the wait for the M. Now I don't think I can go back. Pricey mistake

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...carrera-page-2

Old 07-18-2014, 02:10 PM
JoshuaKM1 is on a distinguished road
So I spent the last 3 months agonizing over whether to buy a fully loaded 2015 M3 for 80k vs. a fully loaded CPO 2012 C2S for 90k and I opted for the C2S. In my mind the only reasons you would choose the M3/M4 is if (1) you needed a full size trunk and rear seats or (2) you would only buy a new car and you were looking for the best "value." Let's face it, if you're on a "budget" (I use this term loosely because most of the country would dream about being able to buy an 80k car) the M3/M4 stacks up incredibly well against any performance car. Even if you're not on a budget the M-car is an amazing vehicle. But... in my mind ... if either money is no object or if you're ok with a CPO car then the Porsche 911 wins every time. I personally find the interior far more luxurious and the 911 exterior is drop dead gorgeous. Everyone from my girlfriend who knows nothing about cars to any of my guy friends would pick the 911. I know many forum members are jaded because either A) they drive Ferraris or B) they live in Beverly Hills where everyone drives Ferraris but it's still a very special event for most people to see a 911. So I guess what I'm trying to say Shaytun is enjoy your car.

Old 07-18-2014, 02:21 PM
PorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond repute
Shaytun - are you unhappy with your 911? Like you said the comparison is apples to oranges and for me I would take the 911 over the BMW any day.

Old 07-18-2014, 02:24 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
I personally think the M3/M4 is a better car than a 991S, regardless of price.

Here is where I am coming from. I have an exotic for flash and pure driving. So the other car would serve to put the extra miles, be more comfortable while able to handle track days, daily driving and weekend drives.

For my purpose, the M3/M4 is a better car. It'd also be my choice if I had to limit to 1 car only.

I used to drive a 996 and would think it's better than M3. Now I have gotten the M3 boat, I think it's a better car since it does what 911 can and more.

Just my opinion. 911s have better interior but the rear bias is just too unforgiving for those that push the cars hard on backroads.

Old 07-18-2014, 02:30 PM
STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by shaytun
Another Car and Driver test that the C2 was destined to lose based on price. At least the authors admit the C2 was the better car, but the M will always win on value and practicality. Both great cars but apples to oranges. My biggest mistake was getting a C2S and passing up the wait for the M. Now I don't think I can go back. Pricey mistake http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...carrera-page-2
Let me read into this correctly??

You liked the C2S until you read some dumb Car & Driver article that somehow made you see the light and now you have come to the conclusion you bought the wrong car based on a magazine?

It must be freaky Friday.

Do the C2S a favor and sell it to someone who appreciates it and go buy the Beemer.

Sell your 911 to Josh! He's still looking for one!

Old 07-18-2014, 02:51 PM
STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !
Article is:

"2015 BMW M4 vs. 2014 Porsche 911 Carrera"

To top things off, it's M4 vs. a BASE Carrera (not as S!!!!)

Looks like you have a C2S correct?? You can start liking your 991 again!

Geez

Old 07-18-2014, 02:55 PM
Last words of wisdom quoted from the article:

So how did the 911 lose? By a narrow margin. In the objective scoring categories, it was dinged for its sparse equipment, slower acceleration times, larger price tag, and compromised practicality. We can forgive Porsche for the tiny rear seats, but surely the engineers in Weissach can carve out a space for a cellphone or a pair of sunglasses without making this tidy car any larger.

You’ll notice that the 911 took every one of our subjective chassis categories. The 911’s shortcomings have nothing to do with driving. If you can make peace with the fact that there’s at least one faster and cheaper German in town, the 911 experience is worth the price. Continued...

Old 07-18-2014, 03:48 PM
rnl
rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !
It's a Porsche and they don't understand that there is no substitute.
There's always going to be a faster, snazzier, more or less expensive car. I get into my P car and drive off. It's different from any other vehicle I've owned.

Oh, and the magazine has to say something to sell issues.

Old 07-18-2014, 04:27 PM
Robsc2s is a splendid one to beholdRobsc2s is a splendid one to beholdRobsc2s is a splendid one to beholdRobsc2s is a splendid one to beholdRobsc2s is a splendid one to beholdRobsc2s is a splendid one to beholdRobsc2s is a splendid one to behold
yawn...

Old 07-18-2014, 05:15 PM
Originally Posted by PorscheCrazy
Shaytun - are you unhappy with your 911? Like you said the comparison is apples to oranges and for me I would take the 911 over the BMW any day.
No I LOVE my car. There is no substitute is my point haha. I would take the 991 any day.

Old 07-18-2014, 05:18 PM
Originally Posted by STG958
Let me read into this correctly??

You liked the C2S until you read some dumb Car & Driver article that somehow made you see the light and now you have come to the conclusion you bought the wrong car based on a magazine?

It must be freaky Friday.

Do the C2S a favor and sell it to someone who appreciates it and go buy the Beemer.

Sell your 911 to Josh! He's still looking for one!
I guess people are reading my post wrong. I was just saying Porsche always loses because of the price. And I am happy I have a 991 and that's why I could never get an M because the 991 is superior. I was making a joke about the costly decision because I will always spend to get the 911 regardless of value. Maybe a little too much sarcasm for this forum?

Old 07-18-2014, 05:23 PM
Originally Posted by djantlive
I personally think the M3/M4 is a better car than a 991S, regardless of price.

Here is where I am coming from. I have an exotic for flash and pure driving. So the other car would serve to put the extra miles, be more comfortable while able to handle track days, daily driving and weekend drives.
I see your point, but did you notice the article even said the 991 was more comfortable with a better ride. that's what makes it an amazing car. Now if you need a real back seat, that's a different story.

Old 07-18-2014, 05:28 PM
Originally Posted by shaytun
I guess people are reading my post wrong. I was just saying Porsche always loses because of the price. And I am happy I have a 991 and that's why I could never get an M because the 991 is superior. I was making a joke about the costly decision because I will always spend to get the 911 regardless of value. Maybe a little too much sarcasm for this forum?
I'm checking out of this one. I'm losing brain cells reading this post. Later ...

Last edited by STG991; 07-18-2014 at 06:08 PM.
Old 07-18-2014, 06:54 PM
wanderfalke will become famous soon enough
The 911 is a unique rear engine car. The M4 is a refinement of a conventional car, if you do not put the unconventional nature of the 991 at a premium, the M4 is a the car for you.I knew the moment I looked underneath the 991 and saw that everything is right there in the rear it was the right car for me. No long exhaust pipes from front to back, no long drive shaft, a beautiful compact design. Add to that the other intangibles, like the engine noise that you run away from the faster you go, and that is the right car for me.. It really isn't something you can quantify on paper you have to drive it period.

Old 07-18-2014, 08:27 PM
Grunty will become famous soon enough
The m car is nice... But it's not a Carrera.

One is a fabulously capable and practical machine, the other is iconic.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Car and Driver C2 vs M4