Fault of the Engine Control System

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 08:48 PM
fixedupw203 is an unknown quantity at this point
Fault of the Engine Control System

Can someone explain this to me? In particular what's the exact cause for this light to turn on and what are some of the ramifications of it? Long term effects? Any side effects?

Is it broad that it can cover various issues? Anyone else keep getting this error message and can chime in?

TIA

Old 12-03-2014, 11:03 AM
Anyone?

Old 12-03-2014, 11:18 AM
plenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant future
Hi- You should provide some additional details so those who like to help can.... For example, under what condition(s) did the warning appear? Startup, normal operating, track operating, accident, service, dealer visit???? Which P-car 3.4, 3.8, S, Powerkit, etc etc.? There are so many variables that might come into play.

But from what I understand is that the "Fault...." message will appear in any number of situations, each with corresponding levels of severity. You may not be getting any response because there isn't enough information in your OP to work with.

Good luck!

Old 12-03-2014, 11:31 AM
Originally Posted by jawells1
Hi- You should provide some additional details so those who like to help can.... For example, under what condition(s) did the warning appear? Startup, normal operating, track operating, accident, service, dealer visit???? Which P-car 3.4, 3.8, S, Powerkit, etc etc.? There are so many variables that might come into play.

But from what I understand is that the "Fault...." message will appear in any number of situations, each with corresponding levels of severity. You may not be getting any response because there isn't enough information in your OP to work with.

Good luck!

Thanks..Warning usually appears upon startup and remains until I bring the car in. Car is a 2012 991 Base Carrera Cabriolet with PSE and Sports Chrono.
Taking the car in for arbitration so I just want to gather as much info as possible on this and what are the causes and ramifications really.

What types of severity does this fault warn against mainly? I understand there are multiple scenarios but I would like to be armed with all of them and I simply can't find this information. Really hoping someone can chime in.

Old 12-03-2014, 03:35 PM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by fixedupw203
Can someone explain this to me? In particular what's the exact cause for this light to turn on and what are some of the ramifications of it? Long term effects? Any side effects?

Is it broad that it can cover various issues? Anyone else keep getting this error message and can chime in?

TIA

As mentioned the Engine ECU has a problem which could be for any number of reasons. This is more or less a generic "check engine light" and could be attributed to many different things including the ECU itself having a problem..

To find out yourself you would need a durametric OBD tool.. If it is a basic fault it is also possible one of the low cost OBD-II tools might tell you what is going on but I've had limited luck with those with Porsche...

If you don't want to do that of course, the dealer can check it out on their PIWIS tool which apparently from your last comment this has happened multiple times..

So if that is the case I have to ask.. Didn't you ask when you took it in previously?

Last edited by scatkins; 12-03-2014 at 03:37 PM.
Old 12-03-2014, 04:39 PM
Originally Posted by scatkins
As mentioned the Engine ECU has a problem which could be for any number of reasons. This is more or less a generic "check engine light" and could be attributed to many different things including the ECU itself having a problem..

To find out yourself you would need a durametric OBD tool.. If it is a basic fault it is also possible one of the low cost OBD-II tools might tell you what is going on but I've had limited luck with those with Porsche...

If you don't want to do that of course, the dealer can check it out on their PIWIS tool which apparently from your last comment this has happened multiple times..

So if that is the case I have to ask.. Didn't you ask when you took it in previously?
Has happened 5 times and each time the work form states that they checked a leak in the valve (NVLD) but unfortunately I didn't get any further explanation than that. Car is fine now so I can't hook it up to anything just wanted a run down of the four or five most common issues that would cause this warning to light up and what the ramifications are.

Old 12-03-2014, 04:57 PM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by fixedupw203
Has happened 5 times and each time the work form states that they checked a leak in the valve (NVLD) but unfortunately I didn't get any further explanation than that. Car is fine now so I can't hook it up to anything just wanted a run down of the four or five most common issues that would cause this warning to light up and what the ramifications are.
Based on what I've heard I believe this is some kind of fuel tank vent valve and when it gets stuck open it can cause this fault... Supposedly when this occurs your fuel mileage can suffer...

Strangely enough from what I can find, the folks who have had it seem to have gone through multiple trips to the dealer to get it resolved. And it seems to occur a lot near the coasts.. something to do with barometric variations...

Not sure if this is really true but there is a thread on planet 9 about this.. Won't post a link to it here since I don't believe they like us posting links to other boards. But just google "Porsche NVLD" and the planet 9 link with be one of the first..

Last edited by scatkins; 12-03-2014 at 05:02 PM.
Old 12-03-2014, 05:04 PM
Originally Posted by scatkins
Based on what I've heard I believe this is some kind of fuel tank vent valve and when it gets stuck open it can cause this fault... Supposedly when this occurs your fuel mileage can suffer...

Strangely enough from what I can find, the folks who have had it seem to have gone through multiple trips to the dealer to get it resolved. And it seems to occur a lot near the coasts.. something to do with barometric variations...

Not sure if this is really true but there is a thread on planet 9 about this.. Won't post a link to it here since I don't believe they like us posting links to other boards. But just google "Porsche NVLD" and the planet 9 link with be one of the first..
Excellent. Thank you that's perfect. Will check it out.

Old 12-03-2014, 07:55 PM
plenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant future
Excellent post, scatkins!

Good luck fixedup! Let us know what happens....

Old 12-04-2014, 11:11 AM
onedae is on a distinguished road
I had the same thing on my 2013 S. My dealer said it was a known issue - they replaced a sensor and it was fixed. Very quick and no hassle. Sorry I don't remember the details.

Old 12-04-2014, 02:35 PM
does195 is on a distinguished road
Had the same issue. Took it in the dealer told me it had a misfire on cylinders 1 & 3. Happened again about a week later. After starting and stopping the car a couple of times, it went away and haven't had it back since.

Old 02-23-2021, 10:10 PM
Graham.987 is an unknown quantity at this point
Just got a check engine light. Not blinking. It is a 2013 911.1 base model. Recently I have been having a jumping tachometer when opening door and pcm restarts. The battery in the car is 8 years old. Could this give a check engine light? Don’t have stuff to read codes.

Old 02-24-2021, 02:31 AM
PorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond repute
Get a new battery.

Old 02-24-2021, 09:05 AM
Graham.987 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by PorscheCrazy
Get a new battery.
okay

Old 02-26-2021, 09:57 AM
Pmorritt is just really nicePmorritt is just really nicePmorritt is just really nicePmorritt is just really nice
Dude, an 8 yr old battery needs to be replaced NOW. In Porsche’s, a weak battery will cause any number of weird stuff to happen.