Front plate solution

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 07:20 PM
akbjr will become famous soon enoughakbjr will become famous soon enough
Front plate solution

For anyone interested I have a 2016 GTS w parking sensors. I have installed a US millworks quick release mount on the tow hook and when the plate is removed the sensors do not go off.

I installed the plate so that it sits to the farthest left as possible. Between the first and second sensor (from right to left) but closer to the second. It does trip a margin of that sensor when installed but I typically install the plate when parked downtown and remove when I leave and drive away.

Cheers.

Old 10-08-2015, 08:03 AM
drsubie is on a distinguished road
I have the same situation--can you post pics? isn't it a pain to have to take the plate on/off? Would it be possible to cut the plate to a smaller size so as to not trip the sensors?

Old 10-08-2015, 09:20 AM
Snowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to behold
Using the Skene bracket eliminates needing to change etc. Not sure about your jurisdiction but in BC a car parked on the street with no front license plate is subject to a ticket.

Old 10-08-2015, 09:58 AM
akbjr will become famous soon enoughakbjr will become famous soon enough
Hi there guys

I looked at skene but didn't feel like drilling so here are the photos wig and without the plate. Quick release takes about 10 seconds.

Name:  image-1899881736.jpg
Views: 1296
Size:  370.0 KB

Name:  image-950354197.jpg
Views: 1275
Size:  389.9 KB

Old 10-08-2015, 01:34 PM
jster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud of
If you get the quick release plate be sure to check the laws in your state. Texas prohibits these types of plate (and sliders). Of course it is likely they won't ticket you for this unless they already have you pulled over and are trying to stack you.

You cannot cut the mounting plate smaller and have it do you any good. The mounting plate is about the same size as a license plate (well, I guess one might look to cut both but I wouldn't recommend it).

Old 10-13-2015, 11:38 PM
pandawest is on a distinguished road
Anyone tried a license plate sticker? I just took delivery of my 2015 991 GTS and may go this route. I have a local source I will try which my dealer recommended. Will post pics if anyone is interested.

Failing this I will try a Skene bracket.

Old 10-14-2015, 10:05 AM
Snowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to behold
A couple of our PCA members went the sticker route. At least one of them got the ticket also. Only the Provincially produced license plate is acceptable in BC.

Old 10-14-2015, 10:25 AM
Originally Posted by Snowczar
A couple of our PCA members went the sticker route. At least one of them got the ticket also. Only the Provincially produced license plate is acceptable in BC.
Do you have the Skene Bracket? How are the small self tapping screws holding up? I looked and they seem a little small for my liking.

Old 10-14-2015, 11:24 AM
I've now had the Skene bracket mounted for about 2 1/2 years with no issue whatsoever and especially no issue around the self tapping screws. Driven about 13k miles in that time.

Old 11-08-2015, 03:41 PM
Green Hornet has a spectacular aura aboutGreen Hornet has a spectacular aura about
How about a hologram generator?

I really Hate front plates.

Old 11-09-2015, 10:03 PM
Originally Posted by Green Hornet
How about a hologram generator?

I really Hate front plates.

So do I, so I went the sticker route. $40 installed with an extra if needed. Printed with a black frame rounded off on the edges. Looks great, most people don't even notice its not real. I'd post a pic but I'd rather not post my plate online.

Old 11-10-2015, 02:29 AM
PorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by pandawest
So do I, so I went the sticker route. $40 installed with an extra if needed. Printed with a black frame rounded off on the edges. Looks great, most people don't even notice its not real. I'd post a pic but I'd rather not post my plate online.
Can you post a pic and blurout your plate number? Would love to see how it looks. Same size as regular plate or did you reduce it? Thx.

Old 11-10-2015, 09:53 AM
Vise is on a distinguished road
Got my third front plate ticket (since July) this morning and it looks like I need to do something about it... I'm not planning to drill so going to give one of the tow hook options a shot. Issues is I have the parking sensors so wanted something that I could mount low or to the left.

Ended up ordering the rho-plate this morning with the extender bracket below. Looks like it should give me enough flexibility to keep the plate out of the way of the sensor... looks ok too, not optimal of course but I'm committed to not drilling. Should be easy enough to take off/put on too.

Originally Posted by pandawest
You should check your local laws on this, in Ontario it is a far worse fine to have a fake plate/sticker vs no plate at all.

Last edited by Vise; 11-10-2015 at 09:55 AM.
Old 11-10-2015, 09:52 PM
Originally Posted by PorscheCrazy
Can you post a pic and blurout your plate number? Would love to see how it looks. Same size as regular plate or did you reduce it? Thx.
It doesn't look real in the photo but it is. Exact same size as a plate.

Old 11-11-2015, 04:24 AM
PorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks. Obviously, cannot see the detail, but looks like a legitimate plate. Great looking car btw.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Front plate solution