Thoughts on Tracking For a Virgin

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-22-2016, 12:32 PM
Scrambler8 is on a distinguished road
Thoughts on Tracking For a Virgin

I have an opportunity to gain regular access to a private track. I enjoy driving my cars, but for practical reasons, it is difficult (unwise) to really cut loose with them on the public roads, accidents, tickets, insurance issues, etc. So, the track route seems very appealing, and fun. The other problem is this: I don't have track experience and am reluctant to take my current cars to a track and risk damaging them in any number of ways that I would be capable of doing. I have the opportunity to take some classes with qualified drivers, which I fully intend to do before I take a car of my own out. Another issues, these sessions are not cheap and at some point my pocketbook would be better served by having a car that is appropriate for a track. What are some thoughts on good track cars? I wouldn't mind another 911. What are some things to look for in a Porsche track car? What are some reasonable mods? (I don't want to go the route of ripping out the interior. I want to keep the car street legal) I have thought about getting an older 997 in the 8 to 10 year range. C2S, C4S, C2? I would appreciate some thoughts on this from people with experiences on the track. Thanks.

Old 02-22-2016, 12:41 PM
Christophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to behold
I don't have experience with previous models (other than 991s), so I can't really recommend any Porsche track cars. Of course, any prior GT model would be a blast on track (GT3, GT3 RS, etc.). What's your budget?

Re track experience: Absolutely, 100% go for it. Most reasonable drivers are initially reluctant, but the feeling drifts away with time and experience. If you're smart and calm on track, you're likely to enjoy a lifetime of worry-free track days without any issues. The trick is to understand the limits of your car and avoid pushing the car too far before you've mastered the handling characteristics of it.

Re track mods: The #1 track "mod" you're going to want to invest in is a set of aftermarket wheels (the lighter, the better) and tires. Depending on what car you decide to track, you may only need to worry about tires (at least initially). Stickier tires will lower your lap times and blow your mind with the amount of grip you'll gain over stock tires. That said, you probably should start tracking on stock tires to get a feel for the car before dropping money on a set of track tires.

Last edited by Christophosphorus; 02-22-2016 at 12:43 PM.
Old 02-23-2016, 06:19 AM
991carreradriver has a spectacular aura about991carreradriver has a spectacular aura about991carreradriver has a spectacular aura about
Don't forget about obtaining track insurance. It is almost certain your auto policy will not cover any incidents at the track.

Old 02-23-2016, 06:36 PM
nicholasbenz is on a distinguished road
I started Drivers Education (DE) events in 2007 with a BMW 540i Sport 4-door sedan. I had nothing more than a helmet, gloves, and driving shoes in a stock BMW with regular 3-point belts. Once you get the taste of the track, you pick up a car that can be slightly modified to work both on the street and the track. This is the very beginning of the slippery slope. As your skills get better, so does your appetite for more at the track and more mods ensue. You then reach the inevitable crossroads of having a dedicated track car or sticking with a dual purpose street/track car.

In 2010 I moved on to club racing and have been doing that since in a host of Porsche track cars including a spec boxster, 993 fully gutted GT4 racecar, and a 996 cup car. The more you drive at the track, the more you realize things can just go wrong.

So as previously advised, after you make the commitment to get started, get track insurance for your car. Lockton has a good agreed-upon policy. I know, because I totaled a 993 at Summit Point 2 years into driving at the track when I ran out of talent in Turn 9. Like I said, anything can happen.

The next advice is NOT to skimp on the safety equipment. You have one life and one body. The performance mods are much more sexy but the safety ones should be non-negotiable. A helmet, gloves, and shoes are a must to start. Once you make the first mods to your car, you should seriously consider a bolt-in roll bar and then get a HANS device and 5 or 6pt belts. Eventually you get into a race suit, fire supression, electrical kill switch, full welded roll cage, etc... Again, I rolled a car and only had a bolt in roll bar behind me as a driver and it saved my life.

As for cars, well that depends on you, your budget, your driving style, and what kind of driving experience you want to have. A low horsepower car is best to learn on as you have to learn how to take a corner fast to ultimately ever drive fast, even when you have the big horsepower monster. A manual transmission allows you to learn the craft of heel/toe, double clutching, left foot braking, and smooth shifting. A PDK allows you to just drive, left foot brake, right foot throttle, like a go cart. You'll have to decide what kind of car you want and what kind of experience you want.

If you want to get a taste of the track, schedule your first events, get insurance, get a coach/instructor, and do a few weekends. I suspect you'll quickly determine if this is something that really excites you and the people you surround yourself with at the track will have all kinds of helpful advice on what kind of car to get into and how to proceed.

Hope this helps.

Old 02-24-2016, 12:43 AM
CSK 991 C4S is on a distinguished road
Scrambler have you ridden along with anyone at the track before?

I learned quite a bit when I would just go to DE events and do a few ride alongs with friends who knew how to drive. I also attended the track talks given just to hear what the pro's were telling the drivers how to get around the track, take turns, and tricky spots.

Because of a few DE events as a passenger when I actually went to a DE event as a driver my previous experience payed off big time.

Enjoy. BTW beginner group can be fun.

Old 02-24-2016, 08:23 AM
Scrambler8 is on a distinguished road
Thanks all for the well-thought out responses. I am looking forward to trying the track when the weather clears around here. I figured there is a great deal to getting the process started and getting some track time, with pros and friends, is the first step. Seeing that I probably have a little OCD thing going on, I can see the evolution that Nicholasbenz talks about in his post. Thanks again, a lot of great input.

Old 02-25-2016, 08:32 AM
shumi_9 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Scrambler8
Thanks all for the well-thought out responses. I am looking forward to trying the track when the weather clears around here. I figured there is a great deal to getting the process started and getting some track time, with pros and friends, is the first step. Seeing that I probably have a little OCD thing going on, I can see the evolution that Nicholasbenz talks about in his post. Thanks again, a lot of great input.

I feel bad for 911 owners who have never tracked their cars. They are definately missing out. Once you try it, you will be addicted. It is amazing what these cars can do and how mych abuse they can take. Take a class, get coached by an instructor and start easy, no need to push it to the limit.
If you decide to keep on tracking it, I would recommend the following as prioritized:
1) set of track wheels/tires
2) endurance pads and racing brake fluid
3) Center radiator if you do not have it already (if oil temps exceed 260F while tracking)
Have fun.

Old 02-28-2016, 06:40 AM
combatninja has a little shameless behaviour in the past
This might not be a popular answer here but honestly if you are just starting out, a Porsche 911 or any modern Porsche for that matter is frankly way too much car. Buy a mechanically sound Miata for $5000 and go have a blast. No need for track insurance because the car is so cheap. Upgrade the Miata in sync to your growing skills and when you outgrow it completely, sell it too another aspiring track rat for basically what you paid. Consumables (tires, brakes, fluids) are just too expensive on the Porsches for a rookie, especially when the car is too much to handle anyway. You'll be spending lots of money but not really getting much better at driving because your tool is too hard for someone inexperienced to use. If you can't drive a slow car fast, there is no way in hell you can drive a fast car fast.
A cheap to run, moderately powered rear drive car with a manual transmission and LOTS of driving instruction is what a rookie needs, not a Porsche and free reign on a private track.

Old 03-01-2016, 10:06 AM
beemer guy is a jewel in the roughbeemer guy is a jewel in the roughbeemer guy is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Christophosphorus
You probably should start tracking on stock tires to get a feel for the car before dropping money on a set of track tires.
So true! All you need is a safety inspection, bleed the brakes, decent street tires to start with.

Originally Posted by 991carreradriver
It is almost certain your auto policy will not cover any incidents at the track.
Very true these days.

Originally Posted by nicholasbenz
The next advice is NOT to skimp on the safety equipment.
Absolutely. I crashed badly at Road Atlanta. Rollbar and five-point harness saved me and my instructor from any serious injury.

Originally Posted by combatninja
This might not be a popular answer here but honestly if you are just starting out, a Porsche 911 or any modern Porsche for that matter is frankly way too much car. Buy a mechanically sound Miata for $5000 and go have a blast.
This is great advice. An older BMW 3-series is also a great alternative, especially if you can (and they are out there) find one already prepped for the track with some safety gear.

I've driven 964, 993 on the track, but that was back in the day when you were covered by your insurance. I also spent many hours and miles in my stock BMW 528 (E39) and learned more driving that under-powered softly sprung car than I would have in a turbo 911.

Start slowly. It's a slippery slope, and before you know it, you'll have a dedicated GT3RS and trailer and motorhome...