991 Turbo vs GTS Driving Impressions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-06-2016, 04:59 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
I can see the appeal of the GTS. I particularly love the Alcantara interior and cry every time I see a GTS that was kitted with the Alcantara delete. I know the sport exhaust sounds nice, better than a stock S. While they are very nice, it really doesn't compare to a turbo. For those that suggest you can't use the power on the street, I can see the appeal of a GTS. For those that have used the launch control and have seen the overboost arrow on the dash, you know that power IS usable and it's INCREDIBLE. I join someone else that commented on the notion that 0.9 sec in 0-60 is "not that much difference" - it is a HUGE difference. If you can drive a turbo and a GTS back to back, there is one simple test. 3k RPM in both cars, put your foot to the floor. Let me know which car you take home.

Old 03-07-2016, 09:45 PM
eddtiff is on a distinguished road
I own a 991 TT and drove the GTS before deciding.

As many others have stated, the sound on the GTS is more engaging and energizing. The Turbo on the other hand is ridiculously quick off the line, video game quick. On the hand, it does have a low pitched moaning sound, which is ok for me.

For me, the external appearance of the Turbo was just more appealing to me than the GTS (the spoiler, fat hips and fins), and in the end that was the deciding factor.

The GTS is a very nice car. If I would have gone down that road, I would of most certainly chosen Carmine Red with the GTS Carmine Red Interior package.

Old 03-10-2016, 06:16 AM
ringtaxi is on a distinguished road
Turbo Vs GTS

Very good review. I have very similar thoughts as to how they drive. GTS of any model feels more raw which is the point. Turbos are faster and more subdued from factory. Which is possibly why many owners add aftermarket parts to make the Turbos more raw, I think. Exhaust and sport springs are fairly common, in addition to wheel/tire combo and possibly intake replacement. Then a chip tune, and you have a different vehicle. Nice to see the variations all over the board, which I believe keeps this forum very interesting.

Old 03-12-2016, 06:40 AM
AndrewP is a glorious beacon of lightAndrewP is a glorious beacon of lightAndrewP is a glorious beacon of lightAndrewP is a glorious beacon of lightAndrewP is a glorious beacon of lightAndrewP is a glorious beacon of light
0.9 seconds difference is like 9 car lengths to 60 mph

Originally Posted by nosleepsheep
My friend that's your opinion. I drive extremely aggressive, that's probably why. Numbers don't lie, but 9ths of a second is hard to gauge. The major reason the Turbo feels faster is because of the difference in Torque.

To sum it all up and to be fair, the Turbo is undoubtedly faster, but the GTS feels like a better driving machine. That's all.
I happen to agree that the 991 GTS is fun to drive on the track, but it is nowhere near as fast as my 991 TTS. The TTS is noticeably heavier and a very different feel with the AWD, which pulls out of corners. FWIW, drove the 991 GTS back to back with a GT4 at Barber and found the GTS much more satisfying and I think a bit faster than the GT4, although laps were not timed.

Old 07-22-2018, 04:39 PM
chance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by PorscheCrazy
Interesting as I have heard of people who have had turbos who turned around and traded them in for NA cars. Obviously a personal choice. Reasons include sound and a more visceral feel of the NA cars. Have also heard that the turbo is just too much car, that the potential of the car cannot be reached in regular everyday driving and that the car is a bit dangerous in that the car gets up to speed so fast and effortlessly that one really has to be careful. Just relaying what I have heard - I have never had the opportunity to drive a TT.
Not intentionally trying to revive this thread but it's an interesting one for me, since I came from a NA GTS into a 991.2 TT. With my 991.1 S back in the day, there were times when I wanted more power, and the chassis with PDCC could easily accommodate it.
It was rare in the GTS where I really wanted more power, maybe on the highway on some hot days...maybe. 430 hp was pretty close to what it needs.
But when I test drove a new GTS with AWD, then I felt a whole new league of torque and stability...which prompted a test drive in a TT and the rest is history.
The only lag I really notice is just off-idle, beyond that the throttle response is excellent and the speed of the TT is just fantastic, along with the stability.
Couple that with the intakes, the hips, the active aero, and the car is just amazing to me.
The GTS in any form is a great car, no doubt...but the acceleration numbers for the TT are really an order of magnitude better.

Old 07-22-2018, 04:43 PM
chance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by PorscheCrazy
Interesting as I have heard of people who have had turbos who turned around and traded them in for NA cars. Obviously a personal choice. Reasons include sound and a more visceral feel of the NA cars. Have also heard that the turbo is just too much car, that the potential of the car cannot be reached in regular everyday driving and that the car is a bit dangerous in that the car gets up to speed so fast and effortlessly that one really has to be careful. Just relaying what I have heard - I have never had the opportunity to drive a TT.
As one that traded his NA GTS for one, it's a very entertaining experience in a TT. I wouldn't say it's too much car, but getting on the throttle and being simply...gone is a fantastic feeling.

Old 07-23-2018, 01:23 AM
Harry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud of
The OP's review is pretty much spot on except the power above 4k. I was considering a GT3 or a Turbo S. Ultimately went with a non-local Turbo S because the deal with a local seller just didn't work. I wasn't too bummed the GT3 deal fell thru because it's easy to make a Turbo S handle as well as a GT3, but it's much more difficult to get a GT3 to have the same power at a Turbo S. Regarding the comparison to the GTS, i'm sure some minor suspension work, tires, and an exhaust would satisfy your craving for a more raw drive

Old 07-24-2018, 06:41 AM
Audi R8 is on a distinguished road
In my opinion, the GTS would be my pick based on raw planted feeling and pricing point.

Old 07-24-2018, 07:58 AM
MT15 is an unknown quantity at this point
Better comparison would be a .2 gts and a .1 turbo. I think the .2 chassis separates them here and the speed is very close imo. The .1 gts sounds like a hooligan though.

Old 07-28-2018, 06:01 PM
Jersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to behold
Have had several Pcars including 4 different TT Porsche’s. I traded my 991.1 4S with Cobb tune and other goodies for my current TTS.
The 991.1 NA is a great car with great driving characteristics. The TT and TTS are just different animals. First as far as exhaust note you are comparing a PSE equipped car vs a car with no PSE, not available on TT or TTS. I have a Europipe exhaust on my TTS and the sound is awesome.
Handling, the chassis of the TT cars is super stiff and the handling laxer like the difference you feel come from doing everything at a higher speed.
Speed/torque. No debate. Bottom end or top end in the TT and TTS the power is endless. Plug a Cobb tune in with PDK upgrade and shifting is super quick and precise and the speed intoxicating. Love the NA cars but the TT and TTS are in a league of their own

Old 08-05-2018, 12:47 PM
Originally Posted by ryem3
I can see the appeal of the GTS. I particularly love the Alcantara interior and cry every time I see a GTS that was kitted with the Alcantara delete. I know the sport exhaust sounds nice, better than a stock S. While they are very nice, it really doesn't compare to a turbo. For those that suggest you can't use the power on the street, I can see the appeal of a GTS. For those that have used the launch control and have seen the overboost arrow on the dash, you know that power IS usable and it's INCREDIBLE. I join someone else that commented on the notion that 0.9 sec in 0-60 is "not that much difference" - it is a HUGE difference. If you can drive a turbo and a GTS back to back, there is one simple test. 3k RPM in both cars, put your foot to the floor. Let me know which car you take home.
Driving back from downtown Chicago yesterday, I found that the power increase (430 vs. 540) and the torque increase (325 peak vs. 486 in Sport) are VERY usable if you just want to blast thru traffic and create some distance. I love it.

Old 08-09-2018, 08:23 PM
chuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud of
To me there are substantial differences in feel in the 17s and 18s compared to the 16s - in both the TT and GTS. Not just what comes from the extra torque- the suspensions are improved. That said, the GTS provides a good bit more than expected.