Wheel replacement - what would you do? - 6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

Go Back  6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource > Porsche (Present) > 991
Reload this Page >

Wheel replacement - what would you do?

Sponsored by:

Old 08-09-2018, 07:16 AM
drspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud of

so my drivers rear wheel is slightly out of round. I had it repaired by a wheel shop and he said itís 95% back to spec but itís as good as it gets. The car, 17í 991.2, rides fine except...it vibrates with a resonance around 93-97 mph which is a common occurrence for me on the highway. BTW, I only noticed this issue when switching to summer tires. My tech said the softer rubber on the winter tire likely masks the vibration issue.

The wheel at the dealer is $3500 w/tax - ridiculous. Its $2,250
at Suncoast - better. But what I canít stomach is that suncoast sells wheel sets of comparable wheels 20 inch black Carrera S wheels w/sensors, valve stems and tires for $1600 a wheel!! The sensors and stems are 75 each and the tires are 350-400 ea., so youíre paying $1,100 for the wheel!

I love my wheels, and my current tires are about 50% worn. If I buy a new set it would only be to
avoid getting raped on one wheel! Plus all this stuff Can be sold online way down the road. (Which conversely means I could offset the new wheel price of $2,250.00 by selling the current wheel for @$500-600 w/full disclosure of course)

Iím kinda leaning toward the new set as I write this. That way I could use my current wheels as dedicated winters.

Your thoughts?

Old 08-09-2018, 05:11 PM
dbh
dbh is an unknown quantity at this point
Get a new set of forged wheels and save old wheels for winter.
Or, drive <90 or >100mph. Oh, and where in CT can you drive this fast for any extended period of time???

Old 08-09-2018, 05:50 PM
90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by drspeed View Post
so my drivers rear wheel is slightly out of round. I had it repaired by a wheel shop and he said itís 95% back to spec but itís as good as it gets. The car, 17í 991.2, rides fine except...it vibrates with a resonance around 93-97 mph which is a common occurrence for me on the highway. BTW, I only noticed this issue when switching to summer tires. My tech said the softer rubber on the winter tire likely masks the vibration issue.

The wheel at the dealer is $3500 w/tax - ridiculous. Its $2,250
at Suncoast - better. But what I canít stomach is that suncoast sells wheel sets of comparable wheels 20 inch black Carrera S wheels w/sensors, valve stems and tires for $1600 a wheel!! The sensors and stems are 75 each and the tires are 350-400 ea., so youíre paying $1,100 for the wheel!

I love my wheels, and my current tires are about 50% worn. If I buy a new set it would only be to
avoid getting raped on one wheel! Plus all this stuff Can be sold online way down the road. (Which conversely means I could offset the new wheel price of $2,250.00 by selling the current wheel for @$500-600 w/full disclosure of course)

Iím kinda leaning toward the new set as I write this. That way I could use my current wheels as dedicated winters.

Your thoughts?
Did you hit something on the road like a pothole that would have damaged the rim, if so then submit a claim with your state for the damage. Or you could see if your insurance covers the damaged wheel. Back in the late 90's I hit a pot hole on highway 101 in San Jose and destroyed two rims on my M3 and the state payed me back for the damaged rims.

Old 08-09-2018, 08:14 PM
Bob Z. has a spectacular aura aboutBob Z. has a spectacular aura aboutBob Z. has a spectacular aura about
If I were you I would stick to your plan and buy the new set, etc.

Old 08-10-2018, 10:49 AM
2010Panny4S is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 90sundevil View Post
Did you hit something on the road like a pothole that would have damaged the rim, if so then submit a claim with your state for the damage. Or you could see if your insurance covers the damaged wheel. Back in the late 90's I hit a pot hole on highway 101 in San Jose and destroyed two rims on my M3 and the state payed me back for the damaged rims.
Doesn't work every time in California or bay area where we have ****ty roads. The state is so broke they will find every reason to try to deny your claim. You also have 6 months to file a claim while those bastards take 6 months to even get to your claim (Experience). Best way is go through your insurance and have them go after CalTrans (in Cali) or whom ever does your state freeways.

For my wife's Cayaman R, she went over a brick (road debris) in bayarea, cracked her 19" forged OEM wheels, I filed the claim wiith insurance, only cost me $100 deductible and got her brand new front wheels.

Old 08-13-2018, 11:05 AM
Basic Sponsor
WheelEnhancement has a brilliant futureWheelEnhancement has a brilliant futureWheelEnhancement has a brilliant futureWheelEnhancement has a brilliant futureWheelEnhancement has a brilliant futureWheelEnhancement has a brilliant futureWheelEnhancement has a brilliant futureWheelEnhancement has a brilliant futureWheelEnhancement has a brilliant futureWheelEnhancement has a brilliant futureWheelEnhancement has a brilliant future
If you are going to keep it on the car. Move it to the passenger side and if the vibration diminishes. Should make it a little better. Which wheel are you looking for?

We are your #1 source for aftermarket wheels, tires, suspension, and brakes.
Distributor for HRE, Volk/Rays, Forgeline, BBS, TSW, Brembo, Bilstein, and KW.
We are also your source for factory Porsche wheels and tires. Brand new and hard to find classic wheels on hand.
www.wheelenhancement.com | [email protected] | (310) 836-8908