991 Turbo vs GTS Driving Impressions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-01-2016, 10:03 PM
nosleepsheep is on a distinguished road
991 Turbo vs GTS Driving Impressions

I'm writing this in hopes of it possibly helping someone who is on the fence of purchasing either a GTS or a Turbo Model 991. And before you reply, yes, I do know they will likely serve 2 different purposes.

I own a '16 GTS in Carmine Red...my friend just purchased a '16 Turbo. First off, I've always been a Turbo type of guy, although I love the likes of an NA high performance sports car. I have owned both variations of engines throughout an extensive list of brands...therefore I don't discriminate.

His turbo is fast...pretty damn fast, but not noticeably faster than my GTS above 4K RPM's, despite 0-60 in 2.9s vs 3.8s. The turbo drives more like a quiet fighter jet....it'll throw you back into your seat, but seems a bit boring to drive at times. The GTS feels a lot more raw, mind you both vehicles were equipped with PDCC and PASM.

Handling in the Turbo lacks, well I guess I'd call it, a more stable feel in Sport + mode...it also feels higher off the ground when compared to the GTS. In regular mode the turbo drives extremely smooth.

Both equipped with PASM, the Turbo has a much softer ride in comparison to the GTS...ofcourse the GTS seems to sit a bit lower and feels like it has tighter suspension due to its ability to be tracked.

I wish my Alcantara steering wheel was as thick as his carbon fiber wheel in the Turbo. Aesthetically, the DRL on the Turbo models look amazing, much better than what's standard across the 991 lineup. The Turbo also looks wider and more aggressive from the rear due to its side vents and exhaust/rear diffuser set up. In comparing front bumpers, I prefer the Sport Design bumper I have on the GTS over the Turbo's, but both pale in comparison to the GT3 front fascia IMHO.

Going above 100+mph...the GTS feels more planted, steering has better feedback and the suspension although emits a raw feeling, helps stabilize you at higher speeds, especially through turns/curves. The steering is "just" right, there isn't too much feedback and there isn't too little either...there's just enough play in the steering and coupled with the PDCC, it makes you feel like you can take on any winding road. Having PDCC is certainly noticeable, at least to my experience. This is an option the turbo I drove was also equipped with, however, on the same roads that I took both of them on (back to back), the GTS, as previously stated, felt more planted.

One thing I can't get over is the sound!!!!! The Turbo doesn't sound very aggressive at all, and it's way too quite for what it is...the GTS in Sport + mode with the valves open, sounds, well....glorious. Downshifts seem more violent and there's no other sound like an NA engine reaching 7.5k RPM's....hands down, lol Disclaimer: I haven't driven a Turbo S, so I'm not certain if the OEM exhaust sound is similar or not.

All in all, they're 2 completely different vehicles for different types of drivers, but the conclusion I've arrived to, is that for me, the GTS feels like it's more fun to drive. In all fairness, one thing that could also contribute to that train of thought is I daily a twin turbo sedan and when I drove the turbo it reminded me too much of it.

Bringing me to my last point, the Turbo 991 is an excellent daily driver...the perfect balance between luxury and a true sports car. Given the choice, if I had to make a decision between one or the other for daily driving purposes, I'd choose the Turbo over the GTS...difference is night and day.

Last edited by nosleepsheep; 03-02-2016 at 06:30 AM.
Old 03-02-2016, 02:47 AM
PorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond repute
Nice review, thanks for posting. I think there are many amongst us who never had an opportunity to drive both and always wondered which drove better, handled better, gripped better, etc. Your review answered a lot of those questions. Good job!

Old 03-02-2016, 04:52 AM
Originally Posted by PorscheCrazy
Nice review, thanks for posting. I think there are many amongst us who never had an opportunity to drive both and always wondered which drove better, handled better, gripped better, etc. Your review answered a lot of those questions. Good job!
No problem! Thank you!

Old 03-02-2016, 05:05 AM
Michael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by nosleepsheep

His turbo is fast...pretty damn fast, but not noticeably faster than my GTS despite 0-60 in 2.9s vs 3.8s.
I don't agree at all. I have driven all types of 991's and owned a 991 C4S for 27 months. The 991 Turbo feels a lot faster than a non TT 991. The 991's are light on torque and the TT's are torque monsters. It's not even close. Sorry....

The NA platform is amazing and agree with a lot of what you wrote. But to say its not noticeably faster is not accurate. .9 of a second is a huge difference plus the torque feel it what makes it feel much faster....

Old 03-02-2016, 05:31 AM
Originally Posted by Michael_s
I don't agree at all. I have driven all types of 991's and owned a 991 C4S for 27 months. The 991 Turbo feels a lot faster than a non TT 991. The 991's are light on torque and the TT's are torque monsters. It's not even close. Sorry....

The NA platform is amazing and agree with a lot of what you wrote. But to say its not noticeably faster is not accurate. .9 of a second is a huge difference plus the torque feel it what makes it feel much faster....
I've driven the C4S and yes, the TT feels noticeably faster than it, but with the power kit in the GTS, to me it wasn't noticeably much faster above 4K.

To be fair: Was it faster? Yes! Did it have more torque? Yes!

BUT, what I should have stated was, ABOVE 4K RPM's I noticed very little difference in speed and pick up. I beat the hell out of both, back to back, and this was my personal assessment and honest opinion.

As far as the Turbo S, that's a different story, I haven't driven it.

Last edited by nosleepsheep; 03-02-2016 at 06:19 AM.
Old 03-02-2016, 06:19 AM
tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !
I am on my second 991. I have driven every flavor of the 991 except for the 991 GT3 RS. At no point anywhere in the rev range does a GTS feel as fast a Turbo. It's not close. Not from 0-60 not from 60-130. The numbers do not lie. A Turbo will put bus lengths on a S, C4S, a GTS stock and tuned its in a different world.

Old 03-02-2016, 06:19 AM
PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !
I was lucky enough to have a choice between GT3, GTS, GT4 and TT. I also chose the TT but it wasn't easy. They are all so good in so many different ways.

- Patrick

Old 03-02-2016, 06:23 AM
PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by tommyboy214
I am on my second 991. I have driven every flavor of the 991 except for the 991 GT3 RS. At no point anywhere in the rev range does a GTS feel as fast a Turbo. It's not close. Not from 0-60 not from 60-130. The numbers do not lie. A Turbo will put bus lengths on a S, C4S, a GTS stock and tuned its in a different world.
I should take you for a ride in my COBB stage 3...

- Patrick

My friend that's your opinion. I drive extremely aggressive, that's probably why. Numbers don't lie, but 9ths of a second is hard to gauge. The major reason the Turbo feels faster is because of the difference in Torque.

To sum it all up and to be fair, the Turbo is undoubtedly faster, but the GTS feels like a better driving machine. That's all.

Last edited by nosleepsheep; 03-02-2016 at 06:32 AM.
svoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond repute
I too have had a lot of different 997 and 991 platforms.

And here is my take on the car. The turbo HANDS DOWN is the faster car, the torque is just insane...

However, that being said. I feel the NA engine is more engaging. If I did not have my turbo for my wife to race in events, then I would have a GTS or GT3. Sometimes, I feel that the turbo is just TOO GOOD. It is almost like it reads your mind.

You see an opening, and before you know it... You are through. You think about a downshift, and before you realize, you are in overboost and the car is gone...

The exhaust note that was mentioned is a valid point. However, with a Kline system like on my car, the exhaust issue is not an issue. But stock to stock, I agree. Turbo sounds like a vacuum.

All 991's are great cars. They really are. The turbo is fast. Like really damn fast. But the 3.8 NA cars are great too.

Even my little 3.4 991 Cab was a good car. Slow as mud. But a good car.

Whatever your choice, you will enjoy it.

Mike

Old 03-02-2016, 06:28 AM
Originally Posted by svoshop

And here is my take on the car. The turbo HANDS DOWN is the faster car, the torque is just insane...

However, that being said. I feel the NA engine is more engaging. If I did not have my turbo for my wife to race in events, then I would have a GTS or GT3. Sometimes, I feel that the turbo is just TOO GOOD. It is almost like it reads your mind.

You see an opening, and before you know it... You are through. You think about a downshift, and before you realize, you are in overboost and the car is gone...

The exhaust note that was mentioned is a valid point. However, with a Kline system like on my car, the exhaust issue is not an issue. But stock to stock, I agree. Turbo sounds like a vacuum.

All 991's are great cars. They really are. The turbo is fast. Like really damn fast. But the 3.8 NA cars are great too.

Mike
I agree. And as stated in my post...different cars for different purposes.

The Turbo is an amazing piece of machinery! And if you've never really had a Turbo quite like the 991TT, then you're certainly in for a treat.

Old 03-02-2016, 06:32 AM
tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by nosleepsheep
My friend that's your opinion. I drive extremely aggressive, that's probably why. Numbers don't lie, but 9ths of a second is hard to gauge. The only reason the Turbo feels faster is because of the difference in Torque.

To sum it all up and to be fair, the Turbo is undoubtedly faster, but the GTS feels like a better driving machine. That's all.

Its not up for debate. It is a fact, "it doesn't feel faster" it is faster, much faster. The torque is part of the reason but it also has an additional 90 HP as well. ALso 9/10th of a second in a drag race is a whooping and in the quarter mile a Turbo is over 2 second faster. I love the go to wins "it feels more planted" "it sounds better" and "Is more fun to drive" which are all very subjective. I am happy you are satisfied with your car, it is a nice one.

Old 03-02-2016, 06:35 AM
Originally Posted by PMNewton
I should take you for a ride in my COBB stage 3...

- Patrick
I wish you were closer so I could go for a spin.

Old 03-02-2016, 06:41 AM
Its not up for debate. It is a fact, "it doesn't feel faster" it is faster, much faster. The torque is part of the reason but it also has an additional 90 HP as well. ALso 9/10th of a second in a drag race is a whooping and in the quarter mile a Turbo is over 2 second faster. I love the go to wins "it feels more planted" "it sounds better" and "Is more fun to drive" which are all very subjective. I am happy you are satisfied with your car, it is a nice one.
It's a review on my part, so yes those statements of sound, stability and subjectiveness are obviously going to be introduced in my PERSONAL review.

You're playing into words way too much, I said it is faster. Yes, it's fact. I've never stated otherwise. We all know that, and I've said it.

We're not referring to drag racing, so that statement is irrelevant.

Speed isn't everything in a sports car...obviously, handling, suspension and transmission factors are a major component of driver engagement.

You're turning this into some sort of war and preying on every single aspect of my review and verbage isn't going to get you anywhere...because there's nowhere to go lol I've already said its faster, that wasn't the entire point of my review, get over yourself.

Now I'll wait for some smart a** reply, and kindly reply with, I could care less. Have a blessed day.

Last edited by nosleepsheep; 03-02-2016 at 06:43 AM.
Old 03-02-2016, 06:43 AM
Originally Posted by svoshop

Mike

I did a short term lease on a C2 991 before the TT just to drive around and take to Motor Sport Ranch for track days all the time. I used to drive the hell out of that car. It was more fun at times because you always had to keeps the revs up.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 991 Turbo vs GTS Driving Impressions