Launching without sportchrono

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2016, 07:44 AM
2013gts is on a distinguished road
Launching without sportchrono

Just purchased a 2012 991 pdk without the sport chrono package . I did a launch with the car the same as you would do with a sport chrono equipped pdk. Put it in sport mode held the brake and floored the gas. The rpms jumped to around 5600-6000 . I released the brake and took off. The car launched great .
My question is what is the difference with the sport chrono equipped cars. And am I doing any damage to the car because it's not equipped with the sport chrono pkge.

Old 03-23-2016, 07:53 AM
P997S will become famous soon enoughP997S will become famous soon enough
they meant to be driven!! have fun

Old 04-09-2016, 08:24 PM
carbonbmw is on a distinguished road
Anyone else with any insight to this? How does the Porsche SC launch control work. Does it pop the trans into natural when launch control is activated then when you release the brake drop it into first gear and launch? or is it the same as holding the brake and gas same time then launching?

Old 04-10-2016, 05:35 AM
combatninja has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Pretty sure the Sport Chrono is working essentially the same way. You must have your foot down hard on the brake to engage it, all the way to the floor as I recall. The software then holds the revs where the best launch is obtained (high in the range for the peaky naturally aspirated cars with rear--drive-think GT3--and lower for the torque-rich turbo stuff--think 911 Turbo. The launch is engaged once you release the brake pedal. FWIW, the gear readout for the PDK in the cluster always shows "1" when you are getting ready to launch. I really don't think there is any witchcraft going on with the car being in neutral at any point, just a good 'ol fashioned brake torque launch with lightning quick shifts from the PDK in Sport Plus mode. With a little skill, one can get probably 90% as effective just using their feet. It is the super rapid shifts of Sport Plus that you won't get that will keep you from ever being quite as fast up through the gears.

Old 04-10-2016, 06:23 AM
todd92 is on a distinguished road
Wow. PDK has a clutch. It's an automated manual. It doesn't 'pop' in or out of neutral or brake torque, as there is no torque converter.

This pretty much confirms my hunch that most buyers buy PDK because, 'it's an automatic'. They have no idea, nor could care less, how it works.

Last edited by todd92; 04-10-2016 at 08:55 AM.
Old 04-10-2016, 12:25 PM
eldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to behold
No way am I trying LC in a car without SC Plus.
PDK is 2 separate manual transmissions in one.
Dual clutches.
LC is specifically designed for Sport Chrono Plus, Sport regular is Not. You are high if you keep doing it.

Old 04-10-2016, 02:50 PM
Chupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond repute
Or maybe their wife does not know how to drive a manual making it easier for road trips to share the driving...

Old 04-10-2016, 03:24 PM
carbonbmw is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by eldertec
Dual clutches.
LC is specifically designed for Sport Chrono Plus, Sport regular is Not. You are high if you keep doing it.

There is no difference in the PDK tranny if it has SC or no SC, its not like there is a special beefed up version pdk in cars with SC that i know of. SC is all software and dynamic engine mounts and a clock on the dash.

Old 04-10-2016, 04:05 PM
chance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to behold
Sport chrono package includes 'Sport Plus' mode, which rachets up the wick in terms of PDK shift speed, PASM, and also makes the rev limiter more hard (slightly higher). So, in a car with only Sport mode and no Sport Plus, you're missing the milliseconds of faster shift times, hard damping of PASM, and the hard rev limiter, from my memory.

You could take a 1971 Pontiac GTO and hold the brake, floor the gas, and release...shouldn't hurt it.

You'd be missing the Sport Plus mode handling the optimal launch control gearing programmed into the software.

Old 04-10-2016, 05:11 PM
2013gts is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by eldertec
Dual clutches.
Seems like no one can explain why it shouldn't be done with a correct technical reason.

Old 04-11-2016, 04:50 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 2013gts
Seems like no one can explain why it shouldn't be done with a correct technical reason.
I doubt there is any physical difference between the transmission or the software to keep the costs low. They all have wet clutches with servos that engage them. There is probably just a software switch that is turned on when Sport Plus is integrated. Either the switch was accidently turned on or if there is no switch and all will act this way is to be determined.

ChuckJ