Engine Cover Strut Failure

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 03:10 PM
rnl
rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !
Engine Cover Strut Failure

Can you believe it? What kind of cr@p are they putting on these cars.

My C2 is four years old and out of warranty. Was changing the oil today, lifted the engine cover and it dropped. The struts failed. I have never seen that in a car, ever.

My Porsche Dealer has them for $77 each
Sunset has original Porsche part for $45 or so

....last month it was a stinking horn that failed......

other than these annoying failures it has been a pleasure to drive and own.....

still, Kia makes better struts....

Last edited by rnl; 06-15-2016 at 03:33 PM.
Old 06-15-2016, 04:00 PM
zx5go is on a distinguished road
My 2013 C2 is going to the dealership this Friday...luckily still under warranty. Engine cover and 'frunk' struts are failing. My front ones are at the point that they will hold the lid but not raise it. The engine cover struts won't even hold the lid (really, how much can that little thing weigh?). Dealer was very surprised and said they hadn't really seen this issue.

I thought it was strange that I couldn't find any signs of leakage on any of the struts.

My driver's side mirror is also failing to dim with the others.

Old 06-15-2016, 04:02 PM
plenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by rnl

My C2 is four years old and out of warranty. Was changing the oil today, lifted the engine cover and it dropped. The struts failed. I have never seen that in a car, ever.

Failed? How? Mount break off, or hydraulic leak? Any pics? Very odd indeed. I've seen hydraulics go on big hoods before though -- but def not with only 4 years on the clock and such a small light piece of metal! More like 40!

For the cost I would DIY...

Old 06-15-2016, 06:31 PM
drizute will become famous soon enough
I have had my engine cover struts replaced twice, the first change lasted a week before they failed, the last one is 6 months old. C2S 4 years old, nearly.

Old 06-15-2016, 06:51 PM
rnl
rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by plenum
Failed? How? Mount break off, or hydraulic leak? Any pics? Very odd indeed. I've seen hydraulics go on big hoods before though -- but def not with only 4 years on the clock and such a small light piece of metal! More like 40!

For the cost I would DIY...
There is nothing to see. The engine cover won't stay up. It drops. OMG my car needs ED medicine.

Old 06-15-2016, 07:05 PM
drizute will become famous soon enough
Kinda sucks though on a 145K vehicle having to prop the "hood" up with a cardboard box to add fluids .....

Old 06-15-2016, 07:24 PM
PorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond repute
That really stinks. Hard to believe these things would fail in 4 years of less. Pretty disconcerting, or should I just say it really sucks.

Old 06-16-2016, 04:23 AM
rnl
Originally Posted by PorscheCrazy
That really stinks. Hard to believe these things would fail in 4 years of less. Pretty disconcerting, or should I just say it really sucks.
Perhaps they failed as I rarely exercise them. Seals could have just dried up and leaked. I almost never open the lid

Old 06-16-2016, 07:06 AM
GraSox is on a distinguished road
Yep, mine had to be replaced at 30K miles (engine lid) too. Seems odd, must be a defect in struts for sure to have it be this common. Replaced under warranty.

Old 06-16-2016, 11:23 AM
ak78 is on a distinguished road
My cover struts had also failed at 25K, replaced under warranty

Old 06-16-2016, 11:36 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by rnl

Mine went out also, Richard. Fortunately, I figured it out as I was inspecting it for the 4 year warranty expiration. The dealer replaced them on their nickel.

ChuckJ

Last edited by ChuckJ; 06-16-2016 at 11:39 AM.
Old 06-16-2016, 01:37 PM
Sizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond repute
Had the same issue. Just replaced them last month.

Old 06-16-2016, 02:13 PM
runner1021 is a splendid one to beholdrunner1021 is a splendid one to beholdrunner1021 is a splendid one to beholdrunner1021 is a splendid one to beholdrunner1021 is a splendid one to beholdrunner1021 is a splendid one to behold
Add another failure here @ the 3 year point.

Sounds like a recall would be in order and/or extended warranty provisions. Obviously a defective part.

Old 06-16-2016, 03:48 PM
PorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond repute
Jeez! I am going out to check mine right now!!

Old 06-16-2016, 10:16 PM
eldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to behold
2013 4s
40k miles
All good here.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Engine Cover Strut Failure