Paint protection questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-25-2016, 10:35 PM
maxr is an unknown quantity at this point
Paint protection questions

I'm considering doing a front wrap with STEK paint protection film and CQuartz FINEST coating. A full front wrap of STEK DYNOshield is $2495, rocker panels including extended coverage for flare guards are $350 each and the strips behind the rear wheels are $95 each. CQuartz FINEST is $1250 so a total for everything is $4635 plus tax = $5075.33.

The shop is highly reputable and their prices seem to reflect that. They're definitely the most expensive of all the shops I've come across. The other shops out there are using a variety of different films such as xpel ultimate and others. For paint protection coatings I've seen ceramic pro out there and again a variety of others.

What sounds reasonable for a service like this? What should I be looking for in either of these services. What do you all think about this quote. Does it seem reasonable considering the high end shop that works on all the high roller cars in the area or am I paying for their overhead and the service not worth that much. Just seems steep but I want the best for my car.

What products are you seeing good reviews of out there?

Old 12-25-2016, 10:39 PM
LIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant future
honestly seems very high to me.
Xpel is a better film also, not sure why they are charging so much for suntek ///

Old 12-26-2016, 09:46 AM
KonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud of
seems crazy. i would also recommend xpel. you can buy a high quality nano ceramic coating for around $100 (enough to put on at least 2 coats) and easily do it yourself (especially if you don't have a black car), though personally i prefer the ease of Optimum Opti-seal (though it's not quite the gloss of the ceramic).

Old 12-26-2016, 09:13 PM
Zmoney is on a distinguished road
has anyone done any ceramic coating by a professional detailer? I drive my 991 daily and through the winter and was contemplating doing a ceramic coat in addition to Xpel or maybe instead of? Curious what you guys think of the ceramic coating?

Old 12-27-2016, 01:42 PM
Former Vendor
XPEL is a jewel in the roughXPEL is a jewel in the roughXPEL is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by maxr
I'm considering doing a front wrap with STEK paint protection film and CQuartz FINEST coating. A full front wrap of STEK DYNOshield is $2495, rocker panels including extended coverage for flare guards are $350 each and the strips behind the rear wheels are $95 each. CQuartz FINEST is $1250 so a total for everything is $4635 plus tax = $5075.33.

The shop is highly reputable and their prices seem to reflect that. They're definitely the most expensive of all the shops I've come across. The other shops out there are using a variety of different films such as xpel ultimate and others. For paint protection coatings I've seen ceramic pro out there and again a variety of others.

What sounds reasonable for a service like this? What should I be looking for in either of these services. What do you all think about this quote. Does it seem reasonable considering the high end shop that works on all the high roller cars in the area or am I paying for their overhead and the service not worth that much. Just seems steep but I want the best for my car.

What products are you seeing good reviews of out there?
stek is still a new film in the US Market. In the end, regardless of the film you use, find an installer that you are comfortable with. I have a feeling I know which installer you're referring to, they're in Bellevue?

Originally Posted by Zmoney
has anyone done any ceramic coating by a professional detailer? I drive my 991 daily and through the winter and was contemplating doing a ceramic coat in addition to Xpel or maybe instead of? Curious what you guys think of the ceramic coating?
Many of our customers like and have great success using a ceramic coating on XPEL ULTIMATE. Many of our installers offer as an add-on, as it will make cleaning easier and increase hydrophobic properties and much more depending on the coating.

Old 12-27-2016, 03:17 PM
Originally Posted by XPEL
stek is still a new film in the US Market. In the end, regardless of the film you use, find an installer that you are comfortable with. I have a feeling I know which installer you're referring to, they're in Bellevue?

Many of our customers like and have great success using a ceramic coating on XPEL ULTIMATE. Many of our installers offer as an add-on, as it will make cleaning easier and increase hydrophobic properties and much more depending on the coating.
Metropolitan detail is the one I was referring to. They're not cheap but they have a great reputation.

Stek eel seems like it has less orange peel effect than expel but I'm not sure if that's the lack of paint prep. My car is white so it won't show imperfections as easily.

What shops in my area, if you know of any would you recommend? I checked out APC in woodinville and they do xpel and ceramic pro

Old 12-27-2016, 04:09 PM
Former Vendor
XPEL is a jewel in the roughXPEL is a jewel in the roughXPEL is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by maxr
Metropolitan detail is the one I was referring to. They're not cheap but they have a great reputation.

Stek eel seems like it has less orange peel effect than expel but I'm not sure if that's the lack of paint prep. My car is white so it won't show imperfections as easily.

What shops in my area, if you know of any would you recommend? I checked out APC in woodinville and they do xpel and ceramic pro
We have a shop in Bellevue about 10 minutes away from kirkland. East Side Auto Salon, which does phenomenal work.

We also have a full list of available installers here: XPEL Washington

Last edited by XPEL; 12-28-2016 at 07:25 AM.
Old 12-27-2016, 08:32 PM
beaverlake is on a distinguished road
STEK is one of the three largest PPF manufacturers in the world. They make film for many others. New to US market but not PPF. Newest product doesn't need coating. Have in my wife's SUV for 5 months and love it. In the rain it looks just waxed.

Old 12-28-2016, 07:16 AM
LIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant future
is STEK SunTEK? or different company all together.
Please advise.
Thanks!

Old 12-28-2016, 07:22 AM
GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !
I would go with xpel and skip the coating. To me the coating is a waste unless you really don't take care of your car. Most high end car owners take care of their car and get them washed and detailed often, the coating is a waste.

The xpel will protect against much debris and when polished and waxed looks as good as doing a coating. The key to all of this is getting a really good detail BEFORE applying the xpel.

Old 12-28-2016, 08:42 AM
Originally Posted by LIL RAJA
Please advise.
Thanks!
pretty sure it's a different company.

Old 12-28-2016, 08:47 AM
Originally Posted by Goin2drt
I would go with xpel and skip the coating. To me the coating is a waste unless you really don't take care of your car. Most high end car owners take care of their car and get them washed and detailed often, the coating is a waste.

The xpel will protect against much debris and when polished and waxed looks as good as doing a coating. The key to all of this is getting a really good detail BEFORE applying the xpel.
TBH I don't like washing my car and hate going through car washes. I also have two black cars. And as you know black is impossible to keep clean and if you wash it, the car shows swirl marks and paint is cloudy. I would get the coating just to help with keeping the cars clean.
Its the wrap that I'm toying with the idea of. Not sure I want to spend the money on it. The Porsche paint is one of the most durable ones I've seen. I have a Mercedes and Cadillac and the GM paint is aweful. You can almost scratch it with a light pressure from a finger nail. Mercedes isn't much better.
My body shop told me that Porsche uses a better hardner?

I had had some debris fly up on the freeway and scratch up the front bumper and hood. After the shop repainted the front end I haven't gotten a single rock chip or scratch. *knock on wood*

Old 12-28-2016, 09:18 AM
beaverlake is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by LIL RAJA
Please advise.
Thanks!
Different companies. Suntek and Llewmar owned by Eastman. STEK independent. Eastman as a Corp is larger.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.