Very pleased thus far - Billet license plate mount

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 03:08 PM
Leslierc is a jewel in the roughLeslierc is a jewel in the roughLeslierc is a jewel in the rough
Very pleased thus far - Billet license plate mount

So I had been searching for a quality built tow hook billet plate mount for my 991 GTS and, after considerable telephone and Internet searching, I found the right equipment at Rennline. Installation was quite easy as well. By the way, I learned from a law enforcement friend yesterday that in California placing your registration on the front windshield will avoid a no front license plate ticket. So that'll be my fall-back going forward.

Cheers!

Old 08-10-2017, 04:23 PM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
I bought the US Mill works solution which works well for me.. But the problem with anything around the tow hook is it interferes with the front parking sensors.. So I don't usually leave it on except when I need it.

I only really use it when I park at LAX (chicken Sh*t patrol at LAX always trolls the parking lot and tickets you for not having a front plate.. although I found if I find the right parking spot which they can't see the front plate without getting out of their patrol car, I don't have any problems.. Obviously they are too fat and lazy and if they can't see it from their patrol vehicle they aren't willing to get out).

I've had a number of debates in the past with various folks about having a front plate vs not. Everyone falls into one of two categories, a) Never have put one on the car and never/rarely have an issue or b) Wouldn't think of ever breaking the law even though it is rarely if ever enforced.

I'm in the a) camp and in 40s years driving in SoCal I've never put a front plate on a car and have never been pulled over for that reason. I've been pulled over for other reasons and they didn't even mention not having a front plate. .In fact I've had CHP walk to the front to write my lic # on the speeding ticket they were giving me.. and then notice I didn't have one without a word..

So I'm pretty clear that CHP doesn't care if you do or don't have a front plate. Hell as a teenager I got tickets from city cops hassling me about fat tires extending outside wheel-wells and tinting... But never a missing front plate.

That said, I'm sure some of the chicken Sh*t California cities that are always trying to balance their budget deficit might not be that way.. but I've yet to ever have an issue at least anywhere in orange county area where I live. Might not be that way, in LA county especially the Gestapo in the peoples republic city of LA but so far I've not had any issues in the past anywhere throughout California other than the LAX problem. And at that it was a $25 ticket. Its a risk I'm comfortable with..

Old 08-10-2017, 06:26 PM
Leslierc is a jewel in the roughLeslierc is a jewel in the roughLeslierc is a jewel in the rough
It was the two $25 tickets I received in West Hollywood that got me thinking to get the billet mount. I think it looks great, and you are correct that it requires me to disable the parking sensor...NBD so far.

Old 08-12-2017, 09:32 AM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Leslierc
It was the two $25 tickets I received in West Hollywood that got me thinking to get the billet mount. I think it looks great, and you are correct that it requires me to disable the parking sensor...NBD so far.
Yeah, I agree I could probably live without the sensor... not sure if you have to code the entire front sensors off... if you just disconnect the one it will nag at you (found that out when I left one disconnected).

The only other comment is that, with the screw in tow mount, it is really easy to steal the front plate, as it screws out with little effort.... and unfortunately the uniqueness of it draws attention as a curiosity...

I was investigating, running a thin steel rigging cable to the interior frame (through the same hole) to the lic plate/assembly.. and then securing it with some kind of crimp or security bold clamp.... not foolproof but would require more effort than simply unscrewing..

Old 08-12-2017, 05:22 PM
"The only other comment is that, with the screw in tow mount, it is really easy to steal the front plate, as it screws out with little effort.... and unfortunately the uniqueness of it draws attention as a curiosity..."

Perhaps...that is a risk, but the thief would need to be carrying a wrench as well as an Allen wrench. Lucky for me home parking is gated and underground with 24-hour security. On the positive side, I've already received a few compliments!

Old 08-12-2017, 07:34 PM
"The only other comment is that, with the screw in tow mount, it is really easy to steal the front plate, as it screws out with little effort.... and unfortunately the uniqueness of it draws attention as a curiosity..."

Perhaps...that is a risk, but the thief would need to be carrying a wrench as well as an Allen wrench. Lucky for me home parking is gated and underground with 24-hour security. On the positive side, I've already received a few compliments!
Oh I guess maybe yours is a bit different than mine.. mine just rotates (the entire plate + threaded bolt that goes into the tow hook hole) whole thing just twists off real easy...

In any case glad you have a nice solution

Old 08-12-2017, 07:50 PM
Old 08-14-2017, 12:17 PM
A few pics...

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2425.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	2.94 MB
ID:	510631   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2423.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	2.30 MB
ID:	510632  
Old 08-15-2017, 02:56 PM
bwiele is a name known to allbwiele is a name known to allbwiele is a name known to allbwiele is a name known to allbwiele is a name known to allbwiele is a name known to all
FWIW, I read a thread here a while back started by Justatoy about using magnets to attach his front license plate on his 911. It does require removing the front bumper, but I'm taking mine off anyway for the Rennline front grille installation, so I'm doing the magnetic plate implementation at the same time. I'm taking pictures and will provide details over on Rennlist. If anybody cares I'd be happy to post it over here as well.

Old 08-15-2017, 05:27 PM
Originally Posted by bwiele
FWIW, I read a thread here a while back started by Justatoy about using magnets to attach his front license plate on his 911. It does require removing the front bumper, but I'm taking mine off anyway for the Rennline front grille installation, so I'm doing the magnetic plate implementation at the same time. I'm taking pictures and will provide details over on Rennlist. If anybody cares I'd be happy to post it over here as well.
Interesting. Please let us know.

Old 08-28-2017, 08:24 AM
bwiele is a name known to allbwiele is a name known to allbwiele is a name known to allbwiele is a name known to allbwiele is a name known to allbwiele is a name known to all
Here's a link to my thread over on Rennlist:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1021396-magnetic-front-license-plate-mount.html

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 08-28-2017 at 11:26 AM.
Old 08-28-2017, 09:49 AM
Nicely done...very!

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 08-28-2017 at 11:27 AM.
Old 08-28-2017, 03:14 PM
MrPorsche has much to be proud ofMrPorsche has much to be proud ofMrPorsche has much to be proud ofMrPorsche has much to be proud ofMrPorsche has much to be proud ofMrPorsche has much to be proud ofMrPorsche has much to be proud ofMrPorsche has much to be proud of
I ordered a RHO plate: https://www.rho-plate.com/collections/porsche
It has a drop down kit that raises or lowers the plate away from the sensor.
I don't have it yet but someone on the 911 turbo section says his works fine.

Old 08-28-2017, 03:20 PM
MrPorsche has much to be proud ofMrPorsche has much to be proud ofMrPorsche has much to be proud ofMrPorsche has much to be proud ofMrPorsche has much to be proud ofMrPorsche has much to be proud ofMrPorsche has much to be proud ofMrPorsche has much to be proud of

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1021...ate-mount.html
I agree, well thought out plan.
I personally wouldn't remove the bumper to get a no drill plate, but since you were taking the bumper off for the grill anyway it's the perfect opportunity. Your idea is genius.

Old 08-31-2017, 06:29 AM
I'm thinking there may be a way to get at that section of the bumper inside from underneath the car just by removing a few fasteners. Keep an eye on the Rennlist thread for updates.

And just to reiterate, it's not my original idea. I just copied it from someone else here on 6Speed, but from a while ago.

FYI I have driven with the bracket on at highway speeds with no sign of movement by the bracket.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Very pleased thus far - Billet license plate mount