Surprised the hell out of me!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-19-2017, 02:38 PM
Leslierc is a jewel in the roughLeslierc is a jewel in the roughLeslierc is a jewel in the rough
Surprised the hell out of me!

So, I was driving in the land of cars and stars enroute to the desert this morning and everything with the car felt perfect...it was at that point I saw my speed was 134 mph! Honestly caught me off guard and it felt like I could have taken the car much faster...I didn't! I'm sure this is not an uncommon experience with these cars, but a first for me.

Old 08-19-2017, 05:52 PM
Steve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond repute
You need to switch the speedo back to mph from kph, lol.

Old 08-20-2017, 08:54 AM
Pmorritt is just really nicePmorritt is just really nicePmorritt is just really nicePmorritt is just really nice
134 in LA traffic-not. Yea, convert back to MPH. 134 is 82mph.

Old 08-20-2017, 01:17 PM
Leslierc is a jewel in the roughLeslierc is a jewel in the roughLeslierc is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Pmorritt
134 in LA traffic-not. Yea, convert back to MPH. 134 is 82mph.
Try outside of Riverside on the 60, Saturday at 7:45am. It was 134mph.

Old 08-20-2017, 01:35 PM
Originally Posted by Steve997S
You need to switch the speedo back to mph from kph, lol.
Stop amusing yourself and maybe take me seriously. I called myself sharing an experience with people with whom I thought I would have a certain commonality. If it were laughs and sarcasm I was seeking, I would have posted this on a BMW forum.

Old 08-20-2017, 04:38 PM
Steve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Leslierc
Stop amusing yourself and maybe take me seriously. I called myself sharing an experience with people with whom I thought I would have a certain commonality. If it were laughs and sarcasm I was seeking, I would have posted this on a BMW forum.
I took you seriously. But having lived in Germany, I can tell you that NEVER do you just happen upon 134 mph as if totally caught by surprise. It takes concerted effort, heavy on the gas, and it's very sensational. As in, engine noise, wind noise, constant steering movements, etc. i could see 100 mph catching someone off guard on a desert road that doesn't give the driver much sense of speed, but if you didn't notice you were at 134 then I'd say your senses aren't very sharp. Of course when I think 134 mph, I more think in terms of sustained speed, not just hit it and quit it. My mark is 195 mph. All legal in Germany, and on a road I knew like the back of my hand. You really need to know how a car behaves at speed especially so you can control weight shift before making steering inputs, etc.

Nonetheless, cool that you went 134. And yes, you had lots left. Be SAFE out there!! You should go to Germany, rent a 911 and really see what the car is capable of. It's too dangerous to go fast in the US. I felt safer at 130 mph (comfortable Autobahn cruising speed) in Germany than I do at 80 here in the US. Germans are predictable and know how to drive.

Last edited by Steve997S; 08-20-2017 at 04:40 PM.
Old 08-20-2017, 04:52 PM
chance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to behold
I've found it's very easy in the GTS to get up above 100 mph and on towards 110, 120...but given my paranoia of a large ticket I back it down in short order!

Old 08-20-2017, 05:08 PM
Originally Posted by chance6
I've found it's very easy in the GTS to get up above 100 mph and on towards 110, 120...but given my paranoia of a large ticket I back it down in short order!
Yes, very easy. I had been crusing in the mid-80s and accelerated to get ahead of a few trucks, the car wasn't straining at all...and I did back off.

Old 08-20-2017, 07:35 PM
^^ Had you said you were passing other vehicles and you hit 134 I wouldn't have uttered a word. I may have thought that's a wee bit excessive, but nada. Obviously any modern Porsche will do 134 quite easily and understandable that excited you. It's the thought that you somehow just found yourself at 134 unknowingly that called your post into question. FWIW

Old 08-21-2017, 05:28 AM
Michael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Steve997S
^^ Had you said you were passing other vehicles and you hit 134 I wouldn't have uttered a word. I may have thought that's a wee bit excessive, but nada. Obviously any modern Porsche will do 134 quite easily and understandable that excited you. It's the thought that you somehow just found yourself at 134 unknowingly that called your post into question. FWIW
I agree. On the very rare occasions I take my car over 100+ my senses are on high alert, adrenaline kicks in and I'm super focused. 130+ takes an effort. Can the car do it, for sure. Does it "sneak" up on me, no.

Old 08-21-2017, 11:16 AM
So, here's the thing. I was hoping to convey the quickness of the car. The GTS isn't my first Porsche rodeo...I've owned a total of 5 Porsche cars so far...and, frankly, I'm always on sensory alert when I'm driving principally because of the tendency of other drivers not to see me. What I was trying to convey in my post was how quickly this car accelerates...whether from a stand still or at speed...and what is most amazing/disconcerting is the planted and settled feel of the car at higher speeds. It's not just fast but really quick.

Last edited by Leslierc; 08-21-2017 at 11:23 AM.
Old 08-21-2017, 11:00 PM
eldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Michael_s
I agree. On the very rare occasions I take my car over 100+ my senses are on high alert, adrenaline kicks in and I'm super focused. 130+ takes an effort. Can the car do it, for sure. Does it "sneak" up on me, no.
Lol...I agree...134 would never sneak up on me...I know it...I feel it...I see it...it ain't sneaking up on me...lol

Old 08-22-2017, 02:28 PM
991carreradriver has a spectacular aura about991carreradriver has a spectacular aura about991carreradriver has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Leslierc
FWIW, I had an experience that while different was equally surprising. I am used driving at high speeds. I typically hit speeds in the high 120's to low 140's on various tracks that I drive. I drove the Pocono Raceway full course a few years ago for the first time. Coming out of the large sweeper onto the straight, I looked down and was doing 172 and was really surprised. The car felt no different to me than in the 120's or 130's. I guess with windows down and a helmet on, sound does reduce, but I was surprised none the less.

Old 08-22-2017, 06:07 PM
yojeffo is an unknown quantity at this point
Did 136 in my 996 cab.... top down until I ran out of road haha. And guess what? It didn't sneak up on me! LOL. Yea don't get on my case for sharing that.

And the good news is I just traded the 996 for my EPA sanctioned 2018 C4S cab. Had to have the old guy towed to the dealer. Its a long story!

Can't wait to let this baby scare the hell out of me.

Old 08-22-2017, 09:08 PM
Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !
I believe ya..if road and conditions allow you could easily do that and more especially while passing

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.