need advice, Discount Tire scratched wheels

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-30-2017, 03:36 PM
Christophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by solrac6262
never had a problem with DT before and they do Road force, I called one dealer and never returned phone calls, my dealer was busy And I didn't want to wait.
No need to explain yourself. Discount Tire is a reputable and national chain; the screw up is on them; not you. We all know the horror stories that also come from dealership hackjobs, and using a Porsche dealership doesn't exactly guarantee that they'll admit and fix the issue.

Are there any updates?

Old 01-05-2018, 06:24 AM
Panamerian is an unknown quantity at this point
I've used Discount Tire for many years. Probably 20 or more vehicles. In that time they've scratched a new set of wheels by being careless (dropped on their face) and caused us to return to re-balance about 6-7 times that I can remember.

Each time they eventually made it right, but a PITA and a waste of time. But because I could always trust them to fix a flat for an employee or family member with no questions asked, the screw-ups vs service still seemed like a fair bargain.

But this week they refused an emergency flat repair on a new to me 991 because the tire was not correct according to the vehicle label. No amount of negotiation would overcome them not touching the car.

Off I went with my leaky tire to get an independent to look at the problem...

Good luck with your wheel repairs solrac. I'm out on Discount Tire finally...

Old 01-09-2018, 07:24 AM
solrac6262 is a name known to allsolrac6262 is a name known to allsolrac6262 is a name known to allsolrac6262 is a name known to allsolrac6262 is a name known to allsolrac6262 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Panamerian
I've used Discount Tire for many years. Probably 20 or more vehicles. In that time they've scratched a new set of wheels by being careless (dropped on their face) and caused us to return to re-balance about 6-7 times that I can remember.

Each time they eventually made it right, but a PITA and a waste of time. But because I could always trust them to fix a flat for an employee or family member with no questions asked, the screw-ups vs service still seemed like a fair bargain.

But this week they refused an emergency flat repair on a new to me 991 because the tire was not correct according to the vehicle label. No amount of negotiation would overcome them not touching the car.

Off I went with my leaky tire to get an independent to look at the problem...

Good luck with your wheel repairs solrac. I'm out on Discount Tire finally...
first time I went to have my sensors Probably I saved $30bucks I went back to get the wheels mounted on my RRS they refused saying the rear tires didn't match the computer and calculations, not compatible tires with my truck they refused to mount them, I told them that same tires if they look up on there web site or tire rack do match with my vehicle as optional size, but again they guy insisted that his math didn't match.

had to mount them my self at home and then another discount tire F****and scratched all my wheels

Old 01-09-2018, 06:40 PM
mso4 is on a distinguished road
first time I went to have my sensors Probably I saved $30bucks I went back to get the wheels mounted on my RRS they refused saying the rear tires didn't match the computer and calculations, not compatible tires with my truck they refused to mount them, I told them that same tires if they look up on there web site or tire rack do match with my vehicle as optional size, but again they guy insisted that his math didn't match.

had to mount them my self at home and then another discount tire F****and scratched all my wheels
I've had DT scratched my previous BMW while they were mounting new tires. I took the manager out and showed it to him. Told him I was not happy about this. He said he'll took care of it, a day later called and offered to repairs the wheels for me. I refused and said I wanted new wheels. At first he said no let's repair them but eventually agreed. Since they were really nice to me and the new OEM bmw wheels were 1k a piece (they needed 2 new ones). I offered them to pay for my tires (about 1k) and we call it even. So they did and refunded my entire tires purchase.

Now I tell them ahead of time please get someone who is less likely to scratch my tires work on my car. They take extra time to make sure now.

Last edited by mso4; 01-09-2018 at 06:42 PM.
Old 01-10-2018, 02:13 PM
solrac6262 is a name known to allsolrac6262 is a name known to allsolrac6262 is a name known to allsolrac6262 is a name known to allsolrac6262 is a name known to allsolrac6262 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by mso4
I've had DT scratched my previous BMW while they were mounting new tires. I took the manager out and showed it to him. Told him I was not happy about this. He said he'll took care of it, a day later called and offered to repairs the wheels for me. I refused and said I wanted new wheels. At first he said no let's repair them but eventually agreed. Since they were really nice to me and the new OEM bmw wheels were 1k a piece (they needed 2 new ones). I offered them to pay for my tires (about 1k) and we call it even. So they did and refunded my entire tires purchase.

Now I tell them ahead of time please get someone who is less likely to scratch my tires work on my car. They take extra time to make sure now.
nice, very lucky, I told the guy wheels were 5 days old and I didn't want them re sprayed and he was like no way at replacement, the msrp on your wheels is like 5k and I was like exactly, then he tells me that this happens all the time, they always send them for repair, Im the one that got them off your car, I have 20 years experience, coming out of here you could have scratched them, I was like " REALLY " all 4? yikes in and out and the barrel ?
I left I got a quote and I called him back, I also told him that he could give me a discount on tires he said no, but he accepted the quote for repairs what my Porsche dealer charges me, reasonable, his insurance is going to pay

I'm fine now and I can live with them like that, but I will never go back

Old 01-10-2018, 04:23 PM
fanboy is on a distinguished road
I feel your pain. Finding a good tire place is as hard as finding a good window tint guy.

In the Cleveland area I always use TPS Tire: https://tpstire.com/

They have the experience (and more importantly the correct equipment) to work with alloy and painted wheels. They did all the work on my '07 911 and my '12 Shelby. They also give loaners which are Smart cars. It's to show up in an expensive sports car and leave in what essentially is a clown car for the road...

Old 01-11-2018, 12:22 PM
Smoking Rotors is on a distinguished road

I don't want now to mess with a mobile wheel repair company, what would be a fair compensation for this?
Depending on the size of the wheel and the finish, wheel repair companies that I've worked with charge between $140 and $300ish.

The lower end is for 13" or 14" wheels cleaned and clear coated, the upper end would be a larger 20"/21" wheel with chrome/paint finish.

Unless damage is really bad, I usually go for the "1 footer" and use a Dremel to sand rash then either touch up paint, nail polish, or paint sharpie pen (purchased on Amazon).

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.