2018 GTS - Review and feedback needed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-17-2017, 12:10 PM
chance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to behold
2018 GTS - Review and feedback needed

Hi there all - so I wanted to go test drive the 3.0 twin-turbo engine in the GTS and get a sense of the difference from my 3.8 since I've read tons of reviews. So, here we go.

I'll post a picture of the actual car I drove - hope it attaches when I post. This car was a Paint-to-sample Nardo Grey. Awesome color for sure...if you order a PTS car apparently it doubles the time it takes to get the car delivered.

Start-up- car sounds great, it's somewhat evident that the car has a lower displacement engine to me, but the PSE does a great job on start-up.

This car had a std black interior but with the heated/vent leather seats with some Alcantara accents and black gauges. My personal preference is the full leather dash with Alcantara/carbon and I did like the full leather seats over my leather/Alcantara in my car.

Tactile/feel- they reversed the polarity on the PDK direction for shifting up/down, and I immediately noticed the feel on the paddles was different and improved over 991.1. I think the paddle feel is now the same across all new models. The engine revs VERY freely from a stand-still and feels equal to me to my GTS. This was a big surprise to me.
The PDK shifts much quicker to me than my car, so it's apparent to me they did some work on this.

Steering wheel- simply awesome and big improvement- love the turning dial to go to Sport/Sport + and the response function, that's huge!

This car had the std PASM but the car felt to me a little bit stiffer in basic mode, and just a tad stiffer than my car when in Sport PASM. The steering to me was just a tad improved over 991.1.

Sound - the sport exhaust pipes in back are HUGE and a really good look IMO. From a stand-still and starting off, the car actually seems louder to me than the 991.1- not sure if it's the exhaust tuning or removal of some sound deadening. PSE sounds great on downshifts and overall I actually liked the sound of this car. Only in Sport + could I really hear the turbos spooling.

Power- the salesman did a comprehensive review with me on the drive and I got into it a few times, and let me tell you the torque onset when you really give it the beans is a big step up in thrust.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1002.JPG
Views:	197
Size:	1.86 MB
ID:	517963  
Old 12-17-2017, 12:24 PM
chance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to behold
Continuing on - it seemed like the time it took to warm up fully in terms of oil temp was about the same as the NA engine. The ability of the engine to rev and go thru the gears was done very well by Porsche engineers IMO.

This is a car that I would buy with the right options- it's somewhat sad that they had to downsize the engine but the overall power and performance is BETTER. Some other observations:

The rear wing rises a bit higher (even with sunroof closed) than my GTS
They did away with the 3rd radiator in the front of the car, apparently since the intercoolers in the rear and the smaller engine don't need it. To me that's a bit of a downer since I do like the appearance of the 3rd radiator in front on my car.
Carbon fiber SportDesign mirrors- EXCELLENT and very striking- I would get these.
Gotta say overall, I love the improved speed of the PDK with this particular engine- a very very quick car - it just feels like everything there was with the previous GTS has been amped up, with the exception of the sound- it's not quite as loud overall but still very pleasing to the ears.
I lit it up on an on-ramp and broke the back end loose on acceleration, and recovered it (it was about 45 deg outside with new tires of course)- but I wonder how this car would be with the true Sport suspension with AWD - this car would be a complete animal!

Hope this review helped a bit.
So, I may order one to my spec- here's what I would get, personally-
Somewhat unique color- Graphite blue, Chalk, or PTS
PDK with rear axle steering and take the Sport suspension as given (20 mm lower)
Not sure if I'd go RWD or AWD- TBD
Might even do a sunroof delete to save a little weight- maybe even a rear seat delete.

Carbon fiber door sills, illuminated + carbon fiber SD mirrors and CF interior
Might go leather seats with the Alcantara accents-

But what I was told is they take a $10,000 deposit for ordering a car- is this typical? When I ordered a Panamera back in the day I think it was only $1500 needed...I found the $10k requirement kind of odd- let me know for those of you that have ordered a car. Thanks!

Old 12-17-2017, 12:32 PM

Here's another photo-

Old 12-17-2017, 05:34 PM
Christophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to behold
I've always valued your advice on these cars, so it's nice to see that the .2 GTS checks your boxes to the point that you're considering ordering one!

A $10,000 down payment sounds unreasonable. Is this a new dealership, or one you've worked with in the past? A dealer rep I had never worked with asked me for a $1,500 deposit for my 991.1 GTS order. I'd definitely discuss it with them and ask (1) why it's so high so that they're forced to explain, and (2) ask for something around $2,000.

Old 12-17-2017, 05:50 PM
arter is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Christophosphorus
I've always valued your advice on these cars, so it's nice to see that the .2 GTS checks your boxes to the point that you're considering ordering one!

A $10,000 down payment sounds unreasonable. Is this a new dealership, or one you've worked with in the past? A dealer rep I had never worked with asked me for a $1,500 deposit for my 991.1 GTS order. I'd definitely discuss it with them and ask (1) why it's so high so that they're forced to explain, and (2) ask for something around $2,000.
I ordered my 18 GTS with no money down, but I had ordered a car through that dealership before. The amount they want you to put down is completely up to the dealer. 2-3 thousand sounds reasonable. But if you want the car, $10000 shouldnt hurt. Plus it becomes part of the downpayment

Old 12-17-2017, 05:57 PM
arter is an unknown quantity at this point
If you get a front screen set, it will cover the empty 3rd radiator hole and make the front end look finished.

Old 12-17-2017, 08:05 PM
Gus_Smedstad is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by chance6
But what I was told is they take a $10,000 deposit for ordering a car- is this typical?
$10k is very high. When I ordered my 2018 GTS 4 Cab they took $2500 as a deposit. This is of course very much specific to particular dealerships.

Personally, I'd be much more concerned about the negotiations over the final price. I don't care how much of a deposit I put down, that's only an issue if I have second thoughts and try and back out of the deal.

I haven't really had a chance to open the car up, or see when AWD makes a difference, yet. I only took possession of it last week, and local traffic has been heavy due to the time of year.

Old 12-18-2017, 03:30 AM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
I have a late model 2017 991.2 GTS that I bought right off the lot (in May). It was their first car and it ticked all my boxes enough to take it home .

PDK as well as the manual are greatly improved . I drove both gearboxes (manual was an "S" ). Loved both and chose PDK only because they only had one car and I liked how it mated with the turbo engine . It shifts so quickly it maintains boost on upshift.

Interior .. mine has the GTS leather/alcantara package . I love it but might have gone cheaper with just full leather black . I'm simple in that manner.

Exhaust note - There's no way that a turbo engine sound can match the high revving NA note but Porsche did a good job with this . I do believe that the 992 will no longer have the center pipes and Im am on the fence with the design but still love the car.

Exterior and decklid - Simply gorgeous !! I love it !!

The glass sunroof -- I am also a sunroof delete person yet my lot car had the glass roof . It shocked me how much i like it as i normally hate sunroofs . I hate it on my Macan and my 997 Turbo . Yet on this car the glass roof gives such beautiful visibility and an open air feeling in the day . It really makes a nice daily driver.

Lastly .. this car is the best daily driving 911 I have ever owned . It is comfortable and fun to drive .

Rear axle steering -- Mine does not have it and frankly on the street the car is more than sufficient . Even on a track this car is by no means a wimp even in its most basic form .

I love the graphite .

Attached Images    
Old 12-18-2017, 09:31 AM
dbh
dbh is an unknown quantity at this point
So far, I love my GTS. The weather here has kept me from really enjoying its full potential. I haven't totally put it to bed yet while hoping for the occasional decent driving day.

My down payment on a to order car was $2k. The dealer never bothered to deposit the check! I did however have a history with this dealership.

Old 12-18-2017, 06:13 PM
Originally Posted by Christophosphorus

Thanks Christo! I'm going to discuss it with them. I've bought cars off the rack from this dealer before, never ordered one thru them.

I feel like I need to drive a 911 turbo and a GT3 just to make sure I don't love them more. The problem with GT3's is ordering them is scarce...

Old 12-18-2017, 06:20 PM
Originally Posted by yrralis1
I have a late model 2017 991.2 GTS that I bought right off the lot (in May). It was their first car and it ticked all my boxes enough to take it home .

PDK as well as the manual are greatly improved . I drove both gearboxes (manual was an "S" ). Loved both and chose PDK only because they only had one car and I liked how it mated with the turbo engine . It shifts so quickly it maintains boost on upshift.

Interior .. mine has the GTS leather/alcantara package . I love it but might have gone cheaper with just full leather black . I'm simple in that manner.

Exhaust note - There's no way that a turbo engine sound can match the high revving NA note but Porsche did a good job with this . I do believe that the 992 will no longer have the center pipes and Im am on the fence with the design but still love the car.

Exterior and decklid - Simply gorgeous !! I love it !!

The glass sunroof -- I am also a sunroof delete person yet my lot car had the glass roof . It shocked me how much i like it as i normally hate sunroofs . I hate it on my Macan and my 997 Turbo . Yet on this car the glass roof gives such beautiful visibility and an open air feeling in the day . It really makes a nice daily driver.

Lastly .. this car is the best daily driving 911 I have ever owned . It is comfortable and fun to drive .

Rear axle steering -- Mine does not have it and frankly on the street the car is more than sufficient . Even on a track this car is by no means a wimp even in its most basic form .

I love the graphite .

yrralis- Looks like we agree on our observations! My car looks just like yours, only in 991.1 form! The PDK shift speed is an improvement, no doubt. I was surprised.

Old 12-20-2017, 04:27 PM
Hurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond repute
Nice review! Mine comes in February or March. I cannot wait!

This is what I ordered:

https://www.porsche.com/microsite/po...px?c=/PJKBZEJ1

That is a bit high for a deposit. I paid less than that but more than what others listed. It's going into the down payment anyways so it was what I anticipated.

Old 12-20-2017, 06:22 PM
Mannn that's a nice Spec. PCCB, PDCC, kept the sports suspension, and the GT Silver stitch! That gives me some good ideas.

I really want to drive a GT3 before I do anything...and a 911 Turbo...

GTS with PDK pulled 3.0 sec 0-60 time in Car & Driver- that is Panamera Turbo straight-ahead fast!

Old 12-20-2017, 08:45 PM
Hurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond repute
Mannn that's a nice Spec. PCCB, PDCC, kept the sports suspension, and the GT Silver stitch! That gives me some good ideas.

I really want to drive a GT3 before I do anything...and a 911 Turbo...

GTS with PDK pulled 3.0 sec 0-60 time in Car & Driver- that is Panamera Turbo straight-ahead fast!
Thanks! I got spoiled with my previous 991.1S and went a little nuts on the options on this one. I plan on keeping it forever, though.

Old 12-21-2017, 08:34 AM
Fkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant future
Continuing on - it seemed like the time it took to warm up fully in terms of oil temp was about the same as the NA engine. The ability of the engine to rev and go thru the gears was done very well by Porsche engineers IMO.

This is a car that I would buy with the right options- it's somewhat sad that they had to downsize the engine but the overall power and performance is BETTER. Some other observations:

The rear wing rises a bit higher (even with sunroof closed) than my GTS
They did away with the 3rd radiator in the front of the car, apparently since the intercoolers in the rear and the smaller engine don't need it. To me that's a bit of a downer since I do like the appearance of the 3rd radiator in front on my car.
Carbon fiber SportDesign mirrors- EXCELLENT and very striking- I would get these.
Gotta say overall, I love the improved speed of the PDK with this particular engine- a very very quick car - it just feels like everything there was with the previous GTS has been amped up, with the exception of the sound- it's not quite as loud overall but still very pleasing to the ears.
I lit it up on an on-ramp and broke the back end loose on acceleration, and recovered it (it was about 45 deg outside with new tires of course)- but I wonder how this car would be with the true Sport suspension with AWD - this car would be a complete animal!

Hope this review helped a bit.
So, I may order one to my spec- here's what I would get, personally-
Somewhat unique color- Graphite blue, Chalk, or PTS
PDK with rear axle steering and take the Sport suspension as given (20 mm lower)
Not sure if I'd go RWD or AWD- TBD
Might even do a sunroof delete to save a little weight- maybe even a rear seat delete.

Carbon fiber door sills, illuminated + carbon fiber SD mirrors and CF interior
Might go leather seats with the Alcantara accents-

But what I was told is they take a $10,000 deposit for ordering a car- is this typical? When I ordered a Panamera back in the day I think it was only $1500 needed...I found the $10k requirement kind of odd- let me know for those of you that have ordered a car. Thanks!
10K is a bit much and I ordered many Porsches.

The only time the dealer wanted more then normal deposit from me (Even after 20 plus Porsches) is when I ordered what they felt is way too many options or what they thought was a unique color combo. Maybe the Chalk or the PTS is bumping that deposit up...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2018 GTS - Review and feedback needed