993 Turbo This community is about the last air cooled twin turbocharged Porsche 911. Model year 1996 - 1997. Also inclusive in this forum is talk on the final 182 Porsche 911 Turbos built in 1997 known as the Turbo S.

Best Intercooler on the market?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 08:09 PM
9elevenC2S is on a distinguished road
Best Intercooler on the market?

I am looking for an intercooler for a project car.. Would like to get some opinions on either FVD, Cargraphic, Andial, Turbokraft, or Blown Six Design? This project car will be for a 1997 993. Just wanted to get some opinions regarding which would be best company to go with? Any opinions would be appreciated.

Old 02-26-2008, 01:02 PM
LAT
LAT is on a distinguished road
Secan, say 20K.

Old 02-26-2008, 06:14 PM
mr993 is on a distinguished road
20k doesn't sound right for this or any project I've ever seen, but would not surprise me.

Old 02-26-2008, 06:17 PM
TurboXpress is on a distinguished road
porsche owners have too much money to blow

but seriously, depending on your application the intercooler specs would vary.

give us an idea on what type of "project" you're doing and i think you'll get a better idea of exactly what you need.

Old 02-26-2008, 06:18 PM
LAT
Old 02-26-2008, 08:00 PM
Banned
Staff@RPM will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by 9elevenC2S
I am looking for an intercooler for a project car.. Would like to get some opinions on either FVD, Cargraphic, Andial, Turbokraft, or Blown Six Design? This project car will be for a 1997 993. Just wanted to get some opinions regarding which would be best company to go with? Any opinions would be appreciated.
HI, I have a 993TT in the shop rite now. It has about 700 awhp that we built!
We have an open door for all who would like to stop by! I also have the best Tuner,fabricator, and Engine builder in the air cooled business( bar none). I hope this does not sound arrogant but we all saw his dyno of 1157 rwhp! BTW It drives to and from the shop daily.
Here to assist,
Tim

Old 02-26-2008, 08:28 PM
LAT
And what is this baby worth to duplicate?

Old 02-26-2008, 09:31 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by LAT
And what is this baby worth to duplicate?
Hi LAT, Eddie will be putting her up for sale. But for those who want the best they can come on down and talk with Eddie and myself. We build many cars to suit there owners needs. The price of duplicating is not all that high, You may opp for differant parts or hp levels. It is your car and should be built the way you want it not the way I sell you!
Here to assist,
Tim

Last edited by Staff@RPM; 03-09-2008 at 06:47 PM.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:22 AM
Former Vendor
LARennsport will become famous soon enough
I think you'd be surprised at how much sustained boost the stock i/c and handle efficiently

I think Ruf makes one of the better i/c's....but again, really depends on what your project is and how its going to be used.

A stock i/c will flow a lot of air...you can always use some water injection on the i/c to get it even cooler.

Old 02-27-2008, 07:36 AM
LAT
Tim, I am good now, thankns.

Old 02-27-2008, 08:46 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by LARennsport
I think you'd be surprised at how much sustained boost the stock i/c and handle efficiently

I think Ruf makes one of the better i/c's....but again, really depends on what your project is and how its going to be used.

A stock i/c will flow a lot of air...you can always use some water injection on the i/c to get it even cooler.
LArennsport, On the air cooled motor you can not mist the intercooler because the engine fan will pull in that water. Plus wet down your ignition coil,wires, and ect. It is not like driving in the rain. In the rain you do not run flat out full boost. The air temp and humidity are also different.
Just my thoughts,
Tim

Old 02-29-2008, 06:35 AM
K24madness is on a distinguished road
The best IC is the Secan. The best value for fit, performance and cost is Andial. Anything beyond that the bag for the buck ratio is so far out of line that your money is better spent in other places. Focus your efforts on keeping the heat out in the first place. This means more efficent turbos and exhaust. Toss the K16's for K24/18g hybrids from protomotive or the upcoming Tial GT30's are the ideal choice IMHO. Controlling boost spikes also reduces heat. Factory boost control sucks (no MAP sensor) so the Protomotive/EBC combo gets the thumbs up from me. Fabspeed makes nice free flowing exhaust at good prices.

Old 02-29-2008, 08:23 AM
9elevenC2S is on a distinguished road
Thanks for all the advice. I will probably go with either andial or FVD.

Old 02-29-2008, 09:41 AM
Former Vendor
LARennsport will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Staff@RPM
LArennsport, On the air cooled motor you can not mist the intercooler because the engine fan will pull in that water. Plus wet down your ignition coil,wires, and ect. It is not like driving in the rain. In the rain you do not run flat out full boost. The air temp and humidity are also different.
Just my thoughts,
Tim
There's a thread on this elsewhere where guys are doing the misting of the intercooler...they do not seem to be having any problems. But your comment is well taken...I hear what you are saying.

Old 03-02-2008, 11:38 AM
Jean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Staff@RPM
HI, I have a 993TT in the shop rite now. It has about 700 awhp that we built!
We have an open door for all who would like to stop by! I also have the best Tuner,fabricator, and Engine builder in the air cooled business( bar none). I hope this does not sound arrogant but we all saw his dyno of 1157 rwhp! BTW It drives to and from the shop daily.
Here to assist,
Tim
Tim

what is your definition of "best tuner"? I think it might be too narrow if you believe that extracting 1000rwhp + from the engine (on whatever dyno that was) means one is a good tuner. Maybe you think that this is what everyone tries to achieve as a goal but can't turn the boost up?

I would like to see what is left of that engine after one lap at the Nurburgring running a sub-10 minute lap for example, or a 20 minute sprint at Laguna Seca.

That car/engine has been for sale forever now, not surprised it never finds a buyer, you can buy hand grenades for much cheaper than that.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Best Intercooler on the market?