993 Last generation normally aspirated aircooled Porsche 911. Community includes the C2, C2s, C4, Targa, C4s and cabriolet discussion.

What would you do differently?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 05:12 PM
Nthusiast is a splendid one to beholdNthusiast is a splendid one to beholdNthusiast is a splendid one to beholdNthusiast is a splendid one to beholdNthusiast is a splendid one to beholdNthusiast is a splendid one to beholdNthusiast is a splendid one to behold
What would you do differently?

Looking for a little advice...

I'm hunting for a 993 (preferably a C4S) and I found one at a dealership last week. I sent an email asking for more information (service history, etc), waited 2 days and then called directly. I got voicemail so I left a message. 2 days later I got a call back and I asked several questions that the salesman couldn't answer. He indicated that the service department wasn't open (it was a Saturday) and he'd get answers to my questions and call back on Monday. Monday comes and I don't hear anything by late in the day so I call back. I'm told that they received a deposit on the car on Saturday but it was pending a trade-in that might not be accepted and he would know more Wednesday (tomorrow).

At this point I'm waiting for a call tomorrow but I'm a little upset...I had done what I thought was appropriate with the calls and email and it seems like the car was sold out from under me. Granted, I'm out of town and business is business but I would have hoped that if it was a competitive situation, the salesperson would have said something.

So, what would you have done differently? I'm still hoping there's a chance for this car (assuming it checks out) but it's likely a longshot. How can I avoid this in the future?

Thanks for the recommendations.

Old 03-19-2013, 10:45 PM
pirahna is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Nthusiast
At this point I'm waiting for a call tomorrow but I'm a little upset...I had done what I thought was appropriate with the calls and email and it seems like the car was sold out from under me.
I wouldn't consider it sold out from underneath you unless you had a deposit or you had the car under contract. In the future I would make arrangements for the dealer to accept a small refundable deposit to hold the car for you. No dealer will hold a car for a customer that has just called to ask questions about it.

Old 03-20-2013, 11:29 AM
Nthusiast is a splendid one to beholdNthusiast is a splendid one to beholdNthusiast is a splendid one to beholdNthusiast is a splendid one to beholdNthusiast is a splendid one to beholdNthusiast is a splendid one to beholdNthusiast is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by pirahna
I wouldn't consider it sold out from underneath you unless you had a deposit or you had the car under contract. In the future I would make arrangements for the dealer to accept a small refundable deposit to hold the car for you. No dealer will hold a car for a customer that has just called to ask questions about it.
Thanks Pirahna. I agree "sold out from underneath me" may not have been the best choice of words...I had just hoped that if they were in the middle of a sale, the salesman would have said something. Again, I realize I didn't have a deposit down and I was out of town versus and in-town guy that just walked in.

The good news is that I heard back that the deal didn't go through. I'm still waiting on the service history and my trade-in value but this looks like it could still be a potential purchase.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Old 03-21-2013, 07:48 AM
buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Nthusiast
Thanks Pirahna. I agree "sold out from underneath me" may not have been the best choice of words...I had just hoped that if they were in the middle of a sale, the salesman would have said something. Again, I realize I didn't have a deposit down and I was out of town versus and in-town guy that just walked in.

The good news is that I heard back that the deal didn't go through. I'm still waiting on the service history and my trade-in value but this looks like it could still be a potential purchase.

Thanks again for the feedback.
i'm guessing when you called they were almost finished up mwith the sale, i expect they didnt want to tell you it was sold until they 100% finalized the deal, they wanted to keep you on the line as back up in case it fell through, its just the nature of the business

i would be curious to why it didnt go through, i expect they tell you the buyer couldnt get financing or something, obviously my first reaction would be that it didnt go through because something was found at the ppi, def have it checked thoroughly

good luck, hopefully everything works out and this is the one, if not there are plenty more out there

Last edited by buzzm; 03-21-2013 at 07:50 AM.
Old 03-23-2013, 07:17 PM
clib is on a distinguished road
for a car like the 993 if being sold at a dealer and he couldn't tell you the history that is a bad sign IMO. There are plenty out there and would use forums like this and rennlist to find one - buy from a quality individual who is an enthusiast and it will likely be cheaper and a lot better history/service record etc. Good luck

Old 03-24-2013, 03:18 PM
Originally Posted by clib
for a car like the 993 if being sold at a dealer and he couldn't tell you the history that is a bad sign IMO. There are plenty out there and would use forums like this and rennlist to find one - buy from a quality individual who is an enthusiast and it will likely be cheaper and a lot better history/service record etc. Good luck
Yeah, I found out on Friday that it had some paintwork on the right rear...that's a definite walk-away for me.

I've been searching rennlist but if anyone knows of a clean 993, let me know. I have cash in hand!

Old 03-27-2013, 06:55 PM
cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !