996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Rear bumper on my new 2003 TT damaged / need advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 06:06 PM
MacDad22
Rear bumper on my new 2003 TT damaged / need advice

Well-

One week ago I picked up 2003 996 TT w/ 34k miles in cherry condition CPO from Park Place Porsche in Dallas. The car is painted dark teal metallic. My wife took the car out last night and came home with a small dent in the rear bumper two inches behind the left rear wheel. It appears the rear bumper is plastic so paintless dent repair I assume is out of the questions.

I'm wondering what my options are? Do I have to replace the entire rear bumper panel? If so should I explore other kits? The paint on the car is in great shape, but I'm worried about the ability to match the paint color.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. It's still hard for me to believe after finally doling out the money on my dream car that was in near perfect shape that it's blemished.

Chris

Old 10-13-2007, 06:45 PM
KPG
KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !
It shouldnt be a problem for a competent shop. The plastic welding technology has come a very long way. I just had my front and rear fascias painted and while I was at it they filled the 2 license plate holes in the front and the bumperette holes in the rear were filled. They took plastic from a Porsche fascia they had laying around from a previous wreck and cut material out and plastic welded the sections in the holes. Filled , sanded, and painted and it looks perfect. My shop guaranteed it for life for stress cracks from heat and cold. The tech told me it was vital to use the same type of plastic as a filler since it gives more consistent results, hence the shop keeping old fascias to use ....

Old 10-13-2007, 11:42 PM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Car will be fine.... I'd do something about the wife, though.

Get recommendations from others here on the best shops in Dallas. You want a shop that is skilled and meticulous. If the dent is not very extreme they can work it out and reuse the skin, of the materal is too distorted they may not want to reuse it as the repair can telegraph through.

Good luck.

A