996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Boost Boost where is it???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 03:47 PM
tjj7ff is on a distinguished road
Boost Boost where is it???

I've owned this MY 2003 TT since February and have never seen the boost higher than 6 bars...even at Robeling. I changed the plugs 4 months ago but didn't put new gaskets on the turbo hoses because I just forgot to buy them at the time. The original gaskets looked like they were in pretty good shape but who knows. They were probably compressed. Anyway, I decided to pickup a set of gaskets and will be putting them on tonight. I've checked the hoses on the blow-off valves and didn't see any cracks or loose fittings but then again you need to take a few items off to see all of the connections, which I've not done as of yet. I did the OEM drilling exhaust 2" hole modification on both sides and you do hear a bit of a high air pitch sound at full throttle that sounds like its coming from the exhaust. I say thing because that sound was not there before the exhaust modification. I also hear the blow-off valves working as excess air pressure is scrubbed went I lift. If there is a leak on one, or more of the blow-off valves, wouldn't it throw a code or would it only happen if there was a leak in the diaphragm inside the blow-off valve? There have been no modifications to engine...all stock with 47K miles. So, what do ya think?

Old 11-16-2007, 04:00 PM
sdorn is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by tjj7ff
I've owned this MY 2003 TT since February and have never seen the boost higher than 6 bars...even at Robeling. I changed the plugs 4 months ago but didn't put new gaskets on the turbo hoses because I just forgot to buy them at the time. The original gaskets looked like they were in pretty good shape but who knows. They were probably compressed. Anyway, I decided to pickup a set of gaskets and will be putting them on tonight. I've checked the hoses on the blow-off valves and didn't see any cracks or loose fittings but then again you need to take a few items off to see all of the connections, which I've not done as of yet. I did the OEM drilling exhaust 2" hole modification on both sides and you do hear a bit of a high air pitch sound at full throttle that sounds like its coming from the exhaust. I say thing because that sound was not there before the exhaust modification. I also hear the blow-off valves working as excess air pressure is scrubbed went I lift. If there is a leak on one, or more of the blow-off valves, wouldn't it throw a code or would it only happen if there was a leak in the diaphragm inside the blow-off valve? There have been no modifications to engine...all stock with 47K miles. So, what do ya think?
That is normal for a stock 996TT to only make .6 bars of boost. You need to get an ECU flash!

Old 11-16-2007, 04:10 PM
drewTT has a spectacular aura aboutdrewTT has a spectacular aura aboutdrewTT has a spectacular aura about
wait, you put a two inch hole in your exhaust on purpose?

Old 11-16-2007, 04:24 PM
sdorn is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by drewTT
wait, you put a two inch hole in your exhaust on purpose?
There is a huge thread on this mod if you do a search or just look back a couple of weeks. They even did a dyno test and showed it increased power some. Quite a few people have done it now (not me).

Old 11-16-2007, 04:51 PM
Adam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud of
I saw 0.7 bar stock, so your boost is a bit low. I would check your boost hoses for a leak. It might even be a good idea to get a set of silicone hoses as a preventative measure.

Old 11-16-2007, 07:53 PM
Really! Only .6 to .7 on a stock TT. Geeeee...and I just spent the last hour and a half replacing the hose gaskets thinking that might help. Oh well it was fun doing it Guess its time to get it flashed and upgrade to billet blow-offs and maybe some bigger turbos. Christmas is right around the corner! Thanks for the responces guys.

Old 11-16-2007, 09:20 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
You should see .7 BAR consistently. .1 BAR is ~ 1.5 PSI. Pretty significant.

Barring any leaks or issues, try tightening your wastegate actuator rod.

Old 11-16-2007, 10:41 PM
derm is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by sdorn
There is a huge thread on this mod if you do a search or just look back a couple of weeks. They even did a dyno test and showed it increased power some. Quite a few people have done it now (not me).
Which part of the exhaust do you drill the holes?
How will it sound like? leaky?

Old 11-16-2007, 11:07 PM
Duane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond repute
.8 BAR and on occasion .9 BAR...bone stock 03 X50.

Old 11-16-2007, 11:41 PM
derm is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Duane996tt
.8 BAR and on occasion .9 BAR...bone stock 03 X50.
Mine goes to .7 on hard push, stock 01 TT.

Old 11-17-2007, 03:18 AM
996TTDave has a spectacular aura about996TTDave has a spectacular aura about996TTDave has a spectacular aura about
.8 all the time, not even really trying - stock 03 X50

Old 11-17-2007, 07:26 AM
Originally Posted by ari
You should see .7 BAR consistently. .1 BAR is ~ 1.5 PSI. Pretty significant.

Barring any leaks or issues, try tightening your wastegate actuator rod.
Where is the actuator rod located on the engine? I looked and did not see where an adjustment could be made. I really have to push the engine and then I only see up to .6 bar and not for very long.

Old 11-17-2007, 09:53 AM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
Where is the actuator rod located on the engine? I looked and did not see where an adjustment could be made. I really have to push the engine and then I only see up to .6 bar and not for very long.
In addition to the wastegate (which may be releasing early)...it could be the DVs. Are they stock as well? In actuality, .6-.7 is normal (we are talking stock NON X50)...there is variation in engines and maybe you just got one that is on the low side of the distribution.

Old 11-17-2007, 10:05 AM
DynamicMotoring is on a distinguished road
You are seeing slightly low boost levels... try an ECU flash or new wastegate actuators.

Old 11-17-2007, 07:40 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
Rule out everything else before touching the actuators. Each turbo has one, they can be seen from under the rear of the car. There is a clip that keeps the bolts from moving, remove the clip and adjust each one exactly the same, maybe 1/2 turn and road test.

If they are not adjusted the same, one turbo will work harder than the other.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Boost Boost where is it???