996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

gas gauge acting up...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-01-2004, 12:38 AM
kmy
kmy is a splendid one to beholdkmy is a splendid one to beholdkmy is a splendid one to beholdkmy is a splendid one to beholdkmy is a splendid one to beholdkmy is a splendid one to beholdkmy is a splendid one to behold
gas gauge acting up...

Lately on longer drives my gas gauge has been acting up. Suddenly drops to empty, stays there for a bit, then says I have a full tank. The needle moves all over the place. Other times on shorter drives I have no problems. Has anyone else had similar issues?

I have an '01 turbo with a remapped ECU and heard there might have been a TSB on '01 cars. Is this a software issue? Do I need to worry about having the ECU reverted back to stock settings if I take this to a dealer and have them update the software? Any advice or feedback would be much appreciated.

Old 06-01-2004, 12:59 AM
RufMD is just really niceRufMD is just really niceRufMD is just really niceRufMD is just really nice
Did you purchase gas from Shell recently or are you from the Southeast ?

many Shell stations are closed in Florida and Louisiana due to high Sulfur content in a batch of refined gas. The sulfur corroded the silver contacts in gas tanks for the gas gauge and left many motorists stranded with empty tanks....Apparently thousands of vehicles affected....

Old 06-01-2004, 01:31 AM
habitat is just really nicehabitat is just really nicehabitat is just really nicehabitat is just really nice
KMY same thing was happening to mine, took it into the dealer and they fixed it for free.........

Old 06-01-2004, 02:26 AM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Try filling your tank all the way. This is how the sending unit resets itself. If this does not work than take it to a dealer.

Old 06-02-2004, 01:20 AM
kmy
kmy is a splendid one to beholdkmy is a splendid one to beholdkmy is a splendid one to beholdkmy is a splendid one to beholdkmy is a splendid one to beholdkmy is a splendid one to beholdkmy is a splendid one to behold
Thanks guys. I tried refilling a few times. This worked for the first 30 miles or so and then the problem returned. The guys at Akkurat are having a look now. Hopefully it's an easy fix...

Old 06-02-2004, 03:31 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Yeps I had this one a couple of times. I reset the battery, just filled the thing up again and it "recablibrated" itself... Try that.

PS KMY was that your silver beauty I saw there today with the HREs and Gemballa lip? If so nice ride!

Old 06-03-2004, 05:03 AM
Kevin Yamashita is on a distinguished road
Thanks Sharkster. I think that's my ride, although the front is a painted C4S lip not Gemballa. Sounds like the gas gauge problem is a warranty issue that is being fixed. I guess this is pretty common with 01 TTs.

Cheers!

Kevin

Old 06-03-2004, 03:15 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Hi Kevin,

It looked pretty and slammed real nice! With the painted lip I thought it was the gemballa piece...

I think I remember mine being changed way back. There was probably a TSB on it.