996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Just Arrived : Tilton 996TT Street Clutch

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 04:04 PM
Former Vendor
onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Tym Switzer
Thanks Wes! I'm interested to hear how everything comes together! How do you like the exhaust?
Exhaust it great, Quality was great, welded tips have people dropping their jaws, been recommending it to everyone I can. You guys definitely offer a quality product across the board.

Old 01-05-2008, 12:05 PM
Jesus is on a distinguished road
Wes-

When is Nero going to have your car ready???????

Old 01-05-2008, 01:41 PM
JETJOX is on a distinguished road
I had an opportunity to drive the lastest Cabonetics triple disc and couldn't believe how stock it felt. Most importantly was the lack of clutch chatter while the car idled in neutral. I know this clutch is good for more than 1000hp and the savings is substantial over the Tilton. That will be my choice hands down.

JR

Old 01-05-2008, 01:46 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
The Tilton (three disc) was first used in a joint effort by S Car Go Racing and WEVO about four years ago (April 2004) on my 996tt. You will find discussions and Pics.

It is on pg 36 of KA - In Memory of Captain Michael J. Maring thread

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...t=1112&page=36

Last edited by cjv; 01-05-2008 at 01:55 PM.
Old 01-05-2008, 02:14 PM
Former Vendor
Tym Switzer is on a distinguished road
That assembly was the unit that came out of the car we built the carbon/carbon unit for. That unit uses organic discs and steel floater plates. The units that we are discussing here use carbon friction discs and carbon floater plates.

Best regards,

Old 01-05-2008, 03:51 PM
Former Vendor
onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !
That assembly was the unit that came out of the car we built the carbon/carbon unit for. That unit uses organic discs and steel floater plates. The units that we are discussing here use carbon friction discs and carbon floater plates.

Best regards,
I've read on the Wevo/Tilton and how it was less than ideal. This is far different than the unit that will be going in my car. We first began using the Tilton triple carbon in 2002. At the time our Supra went 9.002 on BFG Drag Radials with just shy of 1,000 HP. We ran that clutch for 3-4 seasons before switching to an automatic in that car, had the clutch refreshened and Nero put it in his hardtop Supra where it still resides today, still taking the abuse. We've been running them in our cars ever since.

Old 01-05-2008, 08:37 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !

Best regards,
Tym,

Not sure about the floater plates, however the carbon discs were available at the time. We choose not to use then because KA is a road car, although we will be North of 1000 hp with the present build.

What did you do about the throw out bearing issue?

Last edited by cjv; 01-05-2008 at 08:42 PM.
Old 01-05-2008, 08:43 PM
cjv
Originally Posted by onelove
I've read on the Wevo/Tilton and how it was less than ideal. This is far different than the unit that will be going in my car. We first began using the Tilton triple carbon in 2002. At the time our Supra went 9.002 on BFG Drag Radials with just shy of 1,000 HP. We ran that clutch for 3-4 seasons before switching to an automatic in that car, had the clutch refreshened and Nero put it in his hardtop Supra where it still resides today, still taking the abuse. We've been running them in our cars ever since.

I would like to hear about all the individual parts used as we did have an issue with the throw out bearing.

Old 01-05-2008, 09:48 PM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by cjv
Tym,

Not sure about the floater plates, however the carbon discs were available at the time. We choose not to use then because KA is a road car, although we will be North of 1000 hp with the present build.

What did you do about the throw out bearing issue?
Using the Tilton supplied throw out bearing (same one used in the Supra kit) need to get the part numbers of it. I'll know more once we get the clutch in the car this week. What sort of issues did you have with the T-O and which part number where you using? (Below is a pic, I don't have the part number handy for this particular bearing as Tilton makes quite a few).

Almost all the cars we install Tiltons in are street cars (Supras), the carbon works quite well for street use at anything under 1,000-1,100 HP. I know some of the EVO/WRX guys where using cerametalic to save money, but many switch to carbon units for wear reasons.

Old 01-06-2008, 03:15 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by PorschePhd
The tiltons we have used in the past that were C/C last about 4-6K miles tops. I have not seen a ATS with any issues.
That is Exactly what I I have been told by 2 tuners including one 900 rwhp Mitsu owner who is still using it... but has to change the disks often...
So, maybe if one is sponsored by Tilton and or gets it at cost.. that may work... but for most who have to spend $6500 on a C/C tilton plus anywhere from $600 to $1500 to install it.... it gets expensive. Then imagine having to change the disks 5K miles later again..
If thats the case then you might as well put in a dry iron clutch, do the runs and or numbers, take it out and install something docile...
The ATS I have holds 800 to 850 rwhp.... and under extreme speed shifting we have seen some slippage... yet we did pull off a 9 sec run and a 4.72 60 to 130...
If one is drag racing.... put in a dry single iron disk and forget about drivability... You can't have both.... It's like the guys who what more power but less lag then a K16 LOL
markski

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 01-06-2008, 03:31 AM
vincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond repute
Marski
Did you have Todd do any modulation changes with your ATS to improve driveability or is on/off engagement?

Old 01-06-2008, 02:18 PM
Banned
Sonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud of
Tilton part#61802 for the bearing,#6573USGG512 or the clutch, #51-4008 for the flywheel, all these are for the Porsche set up.

Originally Posted by onelove
Using the Tilton supplied throw out bearing (same one used in the Supra kit) need to get the part numbers of it. I'll know more once we get the clutch in the car this week. What sort of issues did you have with the T-O and which part number where# you using? (Below is a pic, I don't have the part number handy for this particular bearing as Tilton makes quite a few).

Almost all the cars we install Tiltons in are street cars (Supras), the carbon works quite well for street use at anything under 1,000-1,100 HP. I know some of the EVO/WRX guys where using cerametalic to save money, but many switch to carbon units for wear reasons.

Last edited by Sonny; 01-06-2008 at 02:29 PM.
Old 01-06-2008, 08:12 PM
porschedude996T is just really niceporschedude996T is just really niceporschedude996T is just really niceporschedude996T is just really niceporschedude996T is just really nice
NICE.... Tilton is 20 minutes down the road from me. I think I know a person or two who work there. I wonder if I can get a free sample??? LOL

Old 01-08-2008, 05:05 PM
Former Vendor
Engine is currently out and the clutch setup is getting installed. Weight savings so far has been nice.

Stock Clutch Setup : 41lbs
Tilton : 15lbs

Savings 26lbs

We also saved weight by removing the clutch actuator and assorted hydraulic which will be removed as well. I will post the weight of those once we can get them on the scale.

Old 01-08-2008, 05:18 PM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
keep up the good work and updates

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Just Arrived : Tilton 996TT Street Clutch