996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

To Chip or Not To Chip?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-03-2004, 12:09 PM
TUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant future
To Chip or Not To Chip?

Hi Guys:

I know we have tons of experts here and I thank you in advance for your insights. I have been considering an ECU upgrade on my stock TT (non-X50). Actually looking at the EVO Stage 2.

Any advice? I know there have been lots of debates on this subject but the performance gains are just unreal. Have any of you had any severe mechanical problems due to the upgrade? Any advice or suggestion is greatly appreciated.

T

Last edited by TUUNER; 06-03-2004 at 12:27 PM.
Old 06-03-2004, 12:29 PM
dlm477 is infamous around these parts
I am interested in the same thing but I just talked to the head mechanic at the porsche dealership and he convinced me not to. It's a long story but the chip WILL VOID THE WARRANTY and they can trace it even if it is taken out. If you are not keeping the car for long, you will be alright. The chip will cause more problems in the years to come because it adds wear and tear on the turbos. Also, he said the non-x50 transmission is not designed to handle that kind of horsepower. Bottom line--life is short, take the small risk, and buy the chip. I think I will do the same. Dan

Old 06-03-2004, 12:35 PM
AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !
Originally posted by dlm477
I am interested in the same thing but I just talked to the head mechanic at the porsche dealership and he convinced me not to. It's a long story but the chip WILL VOID THE WARRANTY and they can trace it even if it is taken out. If you are not keeping the car for long, you will be alright. The chip will cause more problems in the years to come because it adds wear and tear on the turbos. Also, he said the non-x50 transmission is not designed to handle that kind of horsepower. Bottom line--life is short, take the small risk, and buy the chip. I think I will do the same. Dan
Any dealer will tell you that because they have to... Some work with modders more than others.... The way he can trace if you had a chip if you took it out, is by checking the mileage...bottom line is find a dealer that is willing to work with you...they are out there....
Evan
PS-If you guys are interested in the FVD ECU upgrade let me know, I would be happy to give you some info on it... The last dyno done with our Level 2 ECU and FVD Exhaust (100 cell cats) made 465RWHP at only 0.9bar boost on the dyno to give you an idea...

Old 06-03-2004, 12:41 PM
Administrator
Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !
just got the Upsolute. Love it! Best bang for the buck. Do a search. tons of info...

Old 06-03-2004, 01:15 PM
raygr is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by AMG ETR
...PS-If you guys are interested in the FVD ECU upgrade let me know, I would be happy to give you some info on it... The last dyno done with our Level 2 ECU and FVD Exhaust (100 cell cats) made 465RWHP at only 0.9bar boost on the dyno to give you an idea...
Evan, I just added the FVD exhaust to my TT (200 cell cats), along with my existing FVD chip. It made a noticable difference in pulling power. I really like the sound too. It was a breeze to install. Thanks.

Old 06-03-2004, 01:39 PM
Banned
FAT-911 is on a distinguished road
Evan,

Could you send me some info on the ECU Upgrade, we have 98 RON fuel here, would that make a difference.
Thanks.

Old 06-03-2004, 02:03 PM
kwb
kwb is on a distinguished road
I would wait for the GIAC "flash loader" or get the revo flash loader now. You can "flash" the memory to any number of programs without removing the chip and flash it back to stock if you need to. I am going to flash my GT2 ECU soon... yikes!

Old 06-03-2004, 02:18 PM
TUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant future
Originally posted by kwb
I would wait for the GIAC "flash loader" or get the revo flash loader now. You can "flash" the memory to any number of programs without removing the chip and flash it back to stock if you need to. I am going to flash my GT2 ECU soon... yikes!
huh? You mean you can basically take the existing chip and throw it back to the original program when you need to? When is this going to be available? I'd be extremely interested!

T

Old 06-03-2004, 02:28 PM
20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute
T,
if u really want to chip it buy a new ECU to chip it. always keep the stock one just in case.

Old 06-03-2004, 03:17 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Tunner, if you do go with the GIAC, as Stephen at ImagineAuto.com to do the set up with the IBE switcher. That way you can have a "stock" mode, 91 enhanced and 100 octane just be pressing a button. Nifty.

Old 06-03-2004, 03:36 PM
kwb
kwb is on a distinguished road
yes - and thru the data port

Originally posted by TUUNER
huh? You mean you can basically take the existing chip and throw it back to the original program when you need to? When is this going to be available? I'd be extremely interested!

T
http://www.revotechnik.com/usa/usrevo.html

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...threadid=10588

Last edited by kwb; 06-03-2004 at 03:43 PM.
Old 06-03-2004, 09:00 PM
Dock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really nice
we have 98 RON fuel here
That's equal to 93 octane here in the U.S., right?

Old 06-03-2004, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by sharkster
Tunner, if you do go with the GIAC, as Stephen at ImagineAuto.com to do the set up with the IBE switcher. That way you can have a "stock" mode, 91 enhanced and 100 octane just be pressing a button. Nifty.
Sharkster:

Thanks! That is sounding pretty good!

T

Old 06-03-2004, 10:36 PM
AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !
Originally posted by raygr
Evan, I just added the FVD exhaust to my TT (200 cell cats), along with my existing FVD chip. It made a noticable difference in pulling power. I really like the sound too. It was a breeze to install. Thanks.
No Problem!! Glad you like the exhaust!! It seems to be a hit, I have never heard a complaint about it!! An independent tuner out west just did a dyno with our exhaust (100cell) cats and made 30RWHP with it alone (car was stock otherwise). Our no cat system adds another 2-3RWHP... Let me know if you need anything else!!
Originally posted by FAT-911
Evan,
Could you send me some info on the ECU Upgrade, we have 98 RON fuel here, would that make a difference.
Thanks.
Hi!! I work for the US division of FVD and cannot sell outside the US/Canada... If you are interested in purchasing one contact, FVD Australia(Fitzgerald Motorsports) at 01-9897-1555. They can give you all the information you need!! If you don't get the info you want from there let me know and I can help out, but cannot actually sell the ECU to you...
Evan

Old 06-03-2004, 11:07 PM
02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute
i too am decicding if i should go with the GIAC flashloader or teh revo tuning software upgarde, no chip replacement or anything, i beleieve that revo has a 5 day trial were they will reflash your ecu and inc. the boost etc. and then after 5 days it will go back to stock, it is just their promo for a potential customer to see if you will like their programming/reflashing..

i personally like teh giac better, been hearing good dthings regarding them through the years, i want the reflasher so i can reflash the software or return it back to stock whenever i want.

kinda liek having your own personal boost controller, but jsut more cooler

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: To Chip or Not To Chip?