996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Coolant Flush Problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 03:31 PM
dgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond repute
Coolant Flush Problem

Hey guys, I am changing out my coolant and have a problem bleeding the system. I cannot get the T-stat to open up? I filled the tank resevoir, started the car up and brought it up to normal operating temp. I take it up to 215 degrees on my Brockway meter (about 200 on the factory gauge). The fans do kick on. The temp keeps rising and I am worried of overheating. Any ideas?

Old 12-27-2007, 04:21 PM
BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !
The only way to bleed the system without a pressure bleeder as I suggested from Snap-on etc is as follows.

You will need to have one person start the car and hold the RPM at 3500 to 3700 and keep it there contantly, DO NOT LET THE RPM's weaver in anyway shape or form or the valves in the system will close and coolant will shoot out of the fill reservoir. Trust me I know all about this that is why I bought the Snap-on tool. It is very difficult to hold the RPM's at that point as the throttle is difficult to modulate as the engine warms up. You will need to hold the RPM's for about 10 minutes or so as you fill the system with coolant. Holding the RPM will open all the valves.

Cool luck with this as the person filling the system might have the pleasure of warm to hot coolant shoot out all over the place. This is the only other way of bleeding system properly or you will blow off one of the coolant hoses if these is any air lock left in the system. I had this happen to me a few times before I got the Snap-on tool.

BTW, the tool requires a large compressor tank to create the vacuum needed in the coolant system.

Hope that helps,

Ben

Old 12-27-2007, 06:18 PM
dgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks ben, wish I knew this ahead of time. Any interest in renting it out for a fee? Pm me...

Last edited by dgreen78; 12-27-2007 at 07:25 PM.
Old 12-28-2007, 10:00 AM
BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !
Your welcome...by the time we ship it back and forth you could buy one. http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....store&tool=all

I bought mine for $150 CDN..I am sure you can pick one up cheaper.