996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Cat delete on Turbo...Pros and cons

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 11:32 AM
roadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to behold
I want to hear more about the TT Boxster!

Old 01-24-2008, 11:42 AM
DERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of light
I can't find it anymore but did any of you guys see the 996tt motored VW bug? It was for sale in autoweek for a while. Pretty amazing.

Old 01-24-2008, 12:35 PM
robmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond repute
Me toooooooooooooo I want to know who did your kit
Cheers
Robert

Old 01-24-2008, 04:28 PM
kilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to behold
Hold on I want to hear more about the Twin Box....But i really need to know if the Strait pipes are really melting the Bumper???

Old 01-24-2008, 04:32 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Definitely need a retune to bypass a CEL, lots of people drive with it and don't care, but then you don't know of something I'd really wrong. I had the fvd cat bypass pipes and their exhaust, nice flames and not too loud, it was perfect.

Old 01-24-2008, 05:10 PM
Gary in BR is infamous around these parts
Flames....I would like to know more about the flames. Is my bumper going to melt?? Badly or just melt a little bit?

The Twin Turbo Boxster....I am running 5.5lbs of boost. I get full boost at 3k rpm. The car is well over 200 ft/tq at 3500 rpm and runs up to 218. SO its a really flat tq curve. My base line high tq was 150 but most of the tq curve was well below 150.

As far as horsepower my old peak was 161 at the wheels and now its 226 I hit 160hp at 4100rpm and stay above that until red line. I get 200 hp at 4800 rpm and stay above 200 until 6200.

All of these numbers are from a 99 2.5 with over 155,000 miles.

The turbo is intercooled, its mounted below the engine where the aluminum brace was at.

I have had no drivability problems with the car, its nice to have the extra power down low, I dont have to shift as much in traffic !!!

The sound of the waste gate blowing in my left ear when I left off the gas is a nice reminder of the turbos. I don't know if anyone can hear the wastegates except for me but I did not buy them to impress anyone.

Turbowerx did the design, the install and he answers all my dumb questions about getting more power out of a 2.5l engine.

Feel free to ask any questions about the BoxsterTT I did not answer.

But back to the thread on hand....does the Vespa behind me in traffic have to worry about their toes burned off.

Attached Images    
Old 01-24-2008, 05:22 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Depends on your exhaust setup, in a few of my youtube vides you could hear a pop at every let off of wide open trottle and a backfire, would spit a short flame and not enough to melt/burn anything LOL , just a little soot on the bumper after each drive. Far ran a little rich!

Old 01-24-2008, 07:05 PM
BLKM3 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by kilrgt
Hold on I want to hear more about the Twin Box....But i really need to know if the Strait pipes are really melting the Bumper???

Not really melting the bumper. My tips are angled really badly since the Fabsped straightpipes are a bit short. My bumper is just "burnt" not melted.

Old 01-24-2008, 07:25 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Gary in BR
I'm afraid to ask....
How long you go catless before the limp mode started?
I had an o2 sensor wire issue once, ran like ****.

Old 01-24-2008, 07:30 PM
roadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to behold

Some unsolicited advice...consider putting an air scoop on the intercooler if there is room. Directing air to it will make a big difference in temps.

The system looks very well done. It's great to have you here on the forum.

Last edited by roadsterdoc; 01-24-2008 at 07:32 PM.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:13 PM
Originally Posted by roadsterdoc

Some unsolicited advice...consider putting an air scoop on the intercooler if there is room. Directing air to it will make a big difference in temps.

The system looks very well done. It's great to have you here on the forum.

I have thought about doing some sort of scoop on the intercooler many times. Do you guys think one scoop or a series of vents similar to partially open mini blinds? Also remember the car is lowered over 2 inches. The rear strut bar is less than 5 inches from the ground and the intercooler is only another 1/4 inch higher.

Thanks for the compliments on the car.

So it seems like I dont need to worry too much about the flames. Glad to hear that.

Old 01-24-2008, 08:16 PM
Originally Posted by iLLM3
Depends on your exhaust setup, in a few of my youtube vides you could hear a pop at every let off of wide open trottle and a backfire, would spit a short flame and not enough to melt/burn anything LOL , just a little soot on the bumper after each drive. Far ran a little rich!

Can you post a link to your videos?

Heres mine www.youtube.com/gwhand

Old 01-24-2008, 08:25 PM
I have thought about doing some sort of scoop on the intercooler many times. Do you guys think one scoop or a series of vents similar to partially open mini blinds? Also remember the car is lowered over 2 inches. The rear strut bar is less than 5 inches from the ground and the intercooler is only another 1/4 inch higher.
Use one scoop. The first vent in a series will just block all the vents behind it. Another option is to fashion ducting that leads to the IC. In the photo, the current setup appears to have the IC oriented out of any airstream at all. Without air passing through the element it cannot exchange much heat and thus offers little benefit. Get some fresh air to that IC and you will gain power.

Old 01-24-2008, 09:44 PM
I am open to any ideas on designing a scoop. What about spraying the IC with NOS or meth/H2o? I have read that some cars have shown large improvements with a IC spray setup.

I think a scoop would be best but the execution of the scoop may be tough.

So in this thread we have decided its safe for me to remove my cats, cook marshmellows on my bumper and now let find more power by adjusting airflow to my IC.

I love the 6

Old 01-24-2008, 11:34 PM
Can you post a link to your videos?

Heres mine www.youtube.com/gwhand
Here you go.. http://www.youtube.com/user/iLLM3

In videos 996TT Drive By/Exotix Run you can hear the backfiring...

I took Tom (Topgun) out for a ride in my car, a guy in a jeep pulled up next to me after I went WOT and was like WTF DUDE, I have never seen a Porsche shoot flames hah!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Cat delete on Turbo...Pros and cons