996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Hidroplaning at 130MPH

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-21-2004, 03:10 AM
Crash is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by Dock (Atlanta)
Does accelerating to 130 mph in driving rain going into a curve set off any alarms with you? That's not a big deal? What would be a big deal to you?

Seeming to be surprised that the car hydroplaned in those conditions?

Almost loosing it at 130 mph in conditions that have danger written all over them is a good way to use a performance car?
You can take a corner at 130 mph if the car is capable of it. Xico obviously misjudged the carテつエs capability, but it happens to even the best.

Iテつエm not surprised at the fact that the car took off, but like I said, it happens.

So itテつエs agreed that xico misjudged the situation. It happens and he learned fom it. And isnテつエt this the point of it all? Learning from our mistakes?

Old 06-21-2004, 03:51 AM
Tommy Vercetti is infamous around these parts
LOL the one thing no one said is that this guy must be a major tool because Ft Drum is FHP city. They have a station there full of laser packing Z-28's and VASCAR aircraft. Dude you must be one rich **** to handle the insur you pay. That is the last place I would consider speeding thru. I came thru there yesteday and they had one airplane and 7 patrol cars waiting to chase speeders down.

IMO the best rain cars are the EVO/STi's , those little monsters just eat up nasty conditions.

BTW that Rodger is Rodger Hawley and he knows his stuff, to bad he doesnt do M Cars. His cars dominated the GT class at Daytona.

Last edited by Tommy Vercetti; 06-21-2004 at 03:53 AM.
Old 06-21-2004, 04:18 AM
Exotic Performance
xico is infamous around these parts
Guys , why don't you all lighten up a bit . i was just trying to share an experience on my car yesterday that was unexpected . I hope none of you are ever in a cituation like that , but if you where ,all i hope for , is that you would come out of it the way i did and could talk about it . Call it luck , skill , craziness or selfish . (who cares). We are looking for some people to ride the Tail of The Dragon , why don't you all join us. ( we are trying to fill a transport).

Old 06-21-2004, 10:42 AM
Pioneer Member
Scott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond repute
Dock's not upset, but passing judgement is something you should expect on every post on a board like this. I agree 100% with Dock's opinions.

My opinion... it was just the dumbest thing I've read in a while. If you've had any track time, you'd learn quickly as to why.

PSM will not overcome physics. Turbos are not invincible, and in the rain, it doesn't matter what suspension you have if you hit a deep enough spot of water, you'll lose it at 130 mph in an instant.

Doing this speed even in a straight line in the driving rain is just stupid IMO. On a turn... OMG.

Lastly, you can never guarantee that you're not going to hurt someone else. At 130 mph, other cars can appear instantly especially in the rain! Take it to the track.

Old 06-21-2004, 12:31 PM
Banned
Life Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud of
I think Xico is a grown man and obviously is well suited with enough smarts to knows whats of his best interests. If he wants to hydroplane at 130 miles an hour on an empty off ramp and know there is a possibility he's guts will be later picked up off the road, he can do so in moment of his choice. Take out the "I give a ****" of your sandwhich if it bothers you.

Old 06-21-2004, 12:36 PM
ZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud of
^nice screenname

Old 06-21-2004, 12:41 PM
ttgangsta has a spectacular aura aboutttgangsta has a spectacular aura aboutttgangsta has a spectacular aura about
so Xico you going for 135 next time?

Old 06-21-2004, 12:53 PM
collin996tt is infamous around these parts
I agree with both Dock and Scott. I don't care whether it's on the track, interstate, or the neighborhood blvd. Accelerating 100+ in pouring rain, straight or around a bend, is just plain irresponsible to others on the road and to your family and friends.

Xico, you do have family and friends, do you?
No one on this forum would like to hear you or anyone else checkout like that.

You want thrills? Put on shaved tires then go out in the rain. At least you'll hydroplaning at slower speeds!

Don't even think that you driving skills saved your butt that time.
Someone up there's giving you a second chance.

Drive fast but sanely.

Btw, even if I can ride the Tail, I'm not sure if I'd want to ride behind you or others like you until you all grow up a bit more.
Having a picture of your loved ones on the dash helps me

Old 06-21-2004, 07:34 PM
Dock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really nice
Originally posted by collin996tt
Btw, even if I can ride the Tail, I'm not sure if I'd want to ride behind you or others like you until you all grow up a bit more.
I'm thinking the same thing.

Old 06-21-2004, 07:48 PM
Exotic Performance
xico is infamous around these parts
thanks for the thought guys.

Old 06-21-2004, 09:32 PM
NC Bob is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by Dock (Atlanta)
I'm thinking the same thing.
I've already thought about it. There may be a little too much craziness at the TOD. Not gonna do it.

Old 06-21-2004, 10:05 PM
Doug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud of
Originally posted by Ruiner
I was up at the ToD this weekend and it is NOT something that you take lightly (as you know I am sure being that you live up there).
Yeah, you guys be careful up there in Tennessee country. Someone got killed last year a car meet/drive or whatever and the cops actually were pretty hard on others in the event that stopped at the scene or that was still around when the cops got there. I guess the cops thought there was some street racing going on due to the bad crash and all the nice cars together.

Old 06-21-2004, 10:50 PM
Periokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud of
Just my opinion but you are crazy, Xico.

Be careful.

Old 06-21-2004, 10:56 PM
The Newest "Bling King"
Gary (Fl) is infamous around these parts
Anyone that knows Xico knows he will push it to the limit... When your doing 150+ and someone behind you is flashing their lights for you to get out of there way you can guess who it is

Xico,

Have fun, be safe.... Nothing wrong with being a little crazy if your crazyness only affects yourself.... What is crazy for one is not for another.. Depends on your mindset. I for one could not do 130 in a rainstorm if I wanted to... Something would stop me...

See you soon !!!

Last edited by Gary (Fl); 06-21-2004 at 11:11 PM.
Old 06-24-2004, 02:38 AM
Dock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really nice
Originally posted by Ruiner
I was up at the ToD this weekend and it is NOT something that you take lightly
I couldn't agree more!

Here's a picture of a Boxster S that was NOT being driven in a "crazy" manner; just a little too much speed into an unknown corner that happened to have some sand on the road.

This happened on a North Georgia Mountain drive (I was 2-3 cars ahead of this guy) on a road that isn't as curvy as the TOD. These roads (included the TOD) don't have guard rails, and sometimes there aren't any shoulders.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Hidroplaning at 130MPH