996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Upgrading X50 Intercoolers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-27-2003, 11:32 AM
msindi is on a distinguished road
Upgrading X50 Intercoolers

Ok Guys,
So Stephen discovered that the regular TT and X50 share the same intercooler internals despite Porsche's claims (That 18K was such a waste!!).
I am now thinking of upgrading my intercoolers but want something that's plug n play - no custom jobs or anything. I think bothe Techart and Gemballa offere bigger intercoolers (I think Gemballa's is a 993 type that goes under the rear spoiler in the engine bay and only works with their wings so is not really an option...). I wanted to know what other possibilities existed and how important this upgrade would be...

Old 08-27-2003, 12:06 PM
jro
jro is on a distinguished road
What....... the x50 intercoolers are supposed to be the same as the gt2 intercoolers. So what you are saying is that all My02 and current 996 turbos use the same intercoolers? I for one will be making a call to Porsche North America to see if this is true. All a bunch of smoke and mirrors, if this is true.

Old 08-27-2003, 12:11 PM
check this https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...t=intercoolers
I know that the X50 has the same intercoolers as the GT2 but apparently they all have the same internals and thus cooling capacity!

Old 08-27-2003, 12:54 PM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
So the X50 isn't worth it? I'm looking for a TT and they sure seem to charge an arm and a leg for that X50 option.

Old 08-27-2003, 12:58 PM
Duane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud of
X50 is worth it in my opinion!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If I did it over I would not get it just because I have developed a sickness for modifications. But for someone who is going to leave the car stock I think its a great upgrade.

Old 08-27-2003, 01:11 PM
Joe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to behold
Originally posted by DJ996
So the X50 isn't worth it? I'm looking for a TT and they sure seem to charge an arm and a leg for that X50 option.
I would say that the experience of the option is definitely
beneficial. People who have tried both, do claim significant
power difference.
If the question is whether the option is worth the money,
that is moot, because it *is* expensive, and aftermarket
tuners offer more power for less money, and reliably so.
There is a recent post from Stephen of ImagineAuto, who
took apart the X50 intercooler and found it internally the
same as the standard one, so it seems Porsche may have
seriously inflated the price of an X50 over the real cost of
the parts that make the difference...
Joe

Old 08-27-2003, 04:36 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
MWILENS is on a distinguished road
looking at the resale values would be the clear way to determine value

I think the true test will be on resale values fo the car. If the car holds more of its value then there could be an argument for it. Usually aftermarket products don't help the value of the car and often hurt it. I agree with Duane, for someone that is happy with the power then I think it's not a terrible way to go. Yes I think the option is overpriced however. Also porsche realizes that many people really look at the monthy payment and not the 18K. If one is to lease the car then 18K can be written off vs. net dollars on aftermarket parts.

Old 08-27-2003, 05:12 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
The X-50 and the turbo intercoolers are not the same. They look at first appearance to be the same, however look closely again.

At first glance they appear to be the same intercooler. Careful examination will reveal the following:

1) The size of the intercoolers are the same.
2) The longer fins project approx. 2.5 mm more above the surface of the cooling pipes on each side of the intercooler.
3) The GT2/X-50 have more fins (between the cooling pipes) by reducing the gap between the fins.

Porsche literature makes a claim of "a 5% higher cooling capacity" than those used on the 911 turbo (996).

Last edited by cjv; 08-27-2003 at 05:37 PM.
Old 08-27-2003, 05:33 PM
Ken
Ken is a jewel in the roughKen is a jewel in the roughKen is a jewel in the roughKen is a jewel in the rough
One of the challenges of the X-50 option is that there is no way for the casual observer to determine if a turbo is a "normal" or X50 version. I think that an "S" designation or something would make a resale difference.

For me, I'm like Duane, if I had know I was going to pick up the upgrade habit, I would have started with a non-X50.

A little smarter, a little too late.

Old 08-27-2003, 06:18 PM
jro
Thanks Chad for the more detailed explanation of the differences. I was under the impression that the X50/Gt2 intercoolers were 5% better at cooling. This was one of the selling points over the non-x50 turbo.

Old 08-27-2003, 06:34 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
jro,

A 5% higher cooling capacity is huge. For instance, an intercooler with an 80% effiecency is an extremely efficient intercooler. Most are not this efficient. I do not know what the stock Porsche intercooler efficiency is, but I am fairly confident it is not 80%. Let's just say it is 70%. If the GT2/X-50 is 75% efficiency, then it is 6% more efficient. If Todd from EVO is correct with his 10% number then the stock Porsche intercooler would have a 50% effiency rating and the GT2/X-50 would have a 55% efficiency rating (or 10% more efficient).

All this makes for more power once the motor warms up and/or you have hotter days. With a cooler charge air you also run far less of a chance of detonation with a higher hp motor.

Old 08-27-2003, 07:31 PM
X50 Worthiness....
1) In Europe, the option is around 10K Euro (12K US today) - clearly, the option is overpriced in the US
2) Resale values for X50 and non-X50 TTs are within 3-5K of each other for similarly optioned cars, thus reslae is not that great
3) You can add K24s and GT2 intercoolers (all OEM parts) for a lot less than 18K!!
In the end, if you are gonna even do slight engine mods, the X50 is not worth it IMO....I have owned both and although there is more pull on the X50, the 18K is better spent on an exhaust, Kevin's a la carte K24s (cant wait for mine!!) and a GIAC level 4 ECU

Old 08-27-2003, 09:26 PM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
I know you guys have moved this thread a little beyond the intercooler subject, but in all the cost of the X50 is more involved with turbos, programming and tranny, and of course the intercoolers. What I can tell you that on the intercoolers the fins may be longer, however when cut on a band saw the core orifice, or inner tunes if you will are not any different. Not that I would recommend cutting up a perfectly good set of intercoolers but you can band saw them right in half. I know, I am nuts. I will try to find them. I brought them home because I have used them in a couple of seminars. I thought I was done with them for the year. They may get a better heat dissipation off of the longer fin, but a better core would have been ideal. I have yet to see any difference in intake temps unless I have the water on

Old 08-27-2003, 10:11 PM
jro
Thanks Stephen, I was more concerned that Porsche was selling stock intercoolers at an additional price by creating an option. I do not think this is a fair marketing practice to say the least, if they were to just repackage the same intercoolers. I am pretty sure that they 'Porsche' made improvements that would benefit their customers, and your analysis is important to know as well. The internals are the same, and the extra fins and external stuff help cool the engine, great.

Thanks

My expectation for the X50 was to experience it. If it was fast enough, than I would stay with the stock car. I found the exhaust a bit quiet, so I changed it. I had ridden in Chads car a while back, and I was sold that my car could go much faster with further modifications. Thanks to Chad and his openness. So the $18k was part of my learning process. I still have the stock turbos and trans, and a much better ECU program. The EVO stage 4 is a rush!! Now that I am used to this, I'm thinking the stage 4 gt. Human nature, I guess, you can never have enough!!

Old 08-27-2003, 10:13 PM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
No it is a sickness and I have no problem supplying the drug

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Upgrading X50 Intercoolers