996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

996TT Ride height opinions (JIC)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 09:30 AM
Evader is on a distinguished road
996TT Ride height opinions (JIC)

I recently installed a set of (puts nomex flame suit on) JIC C/Os on my 01 996TT. I also installed a H&R 24mm rear sway bar at the same time. My prior suspension setup was stock with H&R springs. Needless to say I am very happy with the setup.

I set the rear ride height to 25" (L/R) and the front to 25 3/8" P & 25 1/2" D. The added 1/8" on the drivers side was placed to offset the drivers weight. I placed some weights inside the car, 185lbs, to mimic my weight. The car sits flat at 25 3/8" with this measure in place.

BTW - The stock setup with H&R springs sat at 25 1/8" (L/R) rear & 25 7/8" (L/R) front.

My question is, it seems as though the front of the car wants a bit more height than the rear so the car can squat forward and soak up braking in the front under heavy load. Does this height seem to be something that is consistent with others who do aggressive street driving to moderate track driving?

(falme suit still on) Also, I took the car for a spirited drive over the last few evenings at a local haunt with some good curves and with the sway bar on the light setting the car stayed flat and controlled with minimal body roll.

I am very happy with the setup and would recommend it, bang for buck, to anyone. I do not have the upgraded sway bar links in the rear and plan on buying the soild ones soon.

Constructive feedback wanted.

Last edited by Evader; 03-29-2008 at 09:42 AM.
Old 03-29-2008, 09:41 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
I didnt set my coilovers up as neither did most of the people here but more height in the front does not sound like a good idea.

The best idea is a good corner balance after you've found your optimal ride height.

Last edited by heavychevy; 03-29-2008 at 11:46 PM.
Old 03-29-2008, 10:31 AM
Thanks, corner balance is next.

I have a set of Long Acre scales an alignment bar and a hub camber/caster tool. I like to wait a minimum of 1 week before dialing in the alignment and corner balance because, in my experience, the springs tend to settle a little in the first week to week and a half.

I crewed for a GT2 team for 6 years learned a few trackside tricks during that time........

Old 03-29-2008, 03:36 PM
Former Vendor
detailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to behold
yes, generally you do want a little rake in the rear. The rear should sit just a tad higher than the front. Having the car corner balanced is a must do, but they will make minor adjustments on your ride height at that time.

John

Old 03-29-2008, 06:00 PM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
I have an evil driveway....can I get JIC's to be stock height "exactly"...will eventually fix the driveway...but it is cement and a fix is not cheap....

TIA

Old 03-29-2008, 06:41 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
When you get your alignment, do it to GT2 specs. Car will handle amazing. That is what I did with mine - http://www.vividracing.com/forums/me...sche-cars.html

Old 03-29-2008, 08:43 PM
Thanks for the feedback......I will dial what I can myself and take it to a local Porsche shop if I am not happy with the results.