996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Net Worth/Income to own a 996TT?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 08:10 PM
maxwell is a jewel in the roughmaxwell is a jewel in the roughmaxwell is a jewel in the rough
I agree. It's all pretty simple. If you're thinking about 60-72 month financing type stuff, then you probably shouldn't....if you have the cash to buy it then it's a no-brainer. you buy a 70k car, drive it for 2-3 years, and sell it for 40-50k. Then it's not 70k, it's 7-10k/year plus maintenance etc.

I personally would never buy anything that I couldn't afford in cash, even if I finance/lease it becuase it makes more financial sense. If you still can't decide on your own, get a financial advisor and let them tell you.

Originally Posted by Chuck Jones
This entire post is hypothetical based upon a question that someone who can afford such a car wouldn't have to ask, or wouldn't have to go onto a public forum to solicit such input. Open the restaurant...then open a chain...then buy the car...or two of them. Don't settle for the TT...buy a GT2.

Old 04-02-2008, 08:18 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
You will enjoy and appreciate this car more than most of us.

I still remember the day my car came off the carrier. Man I had finally got it. This Porsche commercial is certainly true for me:

“It’s a funny thing about a Porsche. There’s the moment you know you want one, there’s the moment you first own one, and for the truly afflicted, there’s the decade or two that passes in between.”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRbzJ0L1Zn8

Originally Posted by jpflip
If I can....I am an aircraft mechanic since over 33 years. I never made over $70,000.00 per year. I don't have a big house. I don't have fancy toys or live a fancy life. But I am a passionate person. Porsche 911 are to me a marvel of technology + they are beautiful to my eyes. I went to Stuttgart in 1984 and I saw a man and his wife at the factory looking at their car being assemble. It was a turbo. Once completed they took delivery of their car and drove it home. You cannot believed how much I envy them. So I decided to build a small banking account and now I am ready to purchase the car of my dream. Of course a used one. Many avenue are possible to reach your dream. But some people have to work harder. Nothing is impossible. Of course, I touch wood, I cannot afford big engine failure or major tunings but I will appreciate what I got... J.P.

Old 04-02-2008, 09:02 PM
f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TT Tommy
All these theories are are well and good but there is also a point to be made that was apparent to me in the 70's.

My dad always waited for the right time to do stuff.

We buried him at 45.

Don't wait for all the stars to be aligned before you persue your dreams.

xotw

Well said ! hence why i drive my Porsche everyday, and 1.5 years has passed since my first Porsche Turbo with 20k under the belt, all i can say is i'm very happy. I don't know if i'll live to see tomorrow or the next....the only FACT in life is, theirs a 100% chance that we will die someday.

Old 04-02-2008, 09:23 PM
Chuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond repute
F1: You're right on point. I'm going steelhead fishing up in northern Calif. next week. I could take my Dodge dually, and that might be the logical thing to do....but I'm not....I'm taking the TT and throwing the fishing tackle in it....going to enjoy the drive thru the mountains to the little town nestled in the Trinity Alps and meet up with the guide..I drive it every chance I can...never worry about putting mileage on it or getting stone chips or wearing out the tires. I let whoever eventually might handle the will to worry about it. Now that doesn't mean I abuse it...quite the contrary....I take very good care of it and it wants for nothing...but I drive it any chance I get. Who knows....one of these days I might be driving a wheel chair around the hall of a VA hospital...but I'll never sit there and wish that I had gone for the gusto.

Old 04-02-2008, 09:28 PM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
Obviously Ari you are also a pasionnate person. I look at these videos often. They are well made and also efficient. They remind me how different these cars and the people that create them are...Real artists, and I'll loved to have one of their creation in my little garage...Like having my own Van Gogh ;-)

[media]http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=3X7twcJVHcM[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8E1DIu8b0S0[/media]

Old 04-02-2008, 10:36 PM
Duane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond repute
Billions and billions

Old 04-02-2008, 10:45 PM
Saint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud of
Just to reiterate what most people say in this thread ... "this post is a bad idea..."

Old 04-03-2008, 03:46 AM
flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by maxwell
I agree. It's all pretty simple. If you're thinking about 60-72 month financing type stuff, then you probably shouldn't....if you have the cash to buy it then it's a no-brainer. you buy a 70k car, drive it for 2-3 years, and sell it for 40-50k. Then it's not 70k, it's 7-10k/year plus maintenance etc.

I personally would never buy anything that I couldn't afford in cash, even if I finance/lease it becuase it makes more financial sense. If you still can't decide on your own, get a financial advisor and let them tell you.
First, this thread is never a good idea as many have mentioned.

Second, I strongly disagree with the above statement on cash vs. financing. I guess it does depend on how you are with your investments, but I'll take long-term financing at a reasonable interest rate any day because I am gonne beat that interest all to hell with the return I make on the cash I used to invest instead of buy the damn car. If you can't beat 6-7% annual return on your money, you probably shouldn't be buying a Porsche in the first place. (Okay, that's a little strong, but you get my point I hope).

And don't get a financial advisor to make this decision for you. Half of them are idiots and not qualified and it just depends on how conservative or aggressive they are in their styles, and if that matches yours.

Okay, I'm done here.

Old 02-08-2010, 09:41 PM
sirgolfalot is on a distinguished road
what it comes down to is the amount of enjoyment you get out of whatever it is you buy. Is there really a price on that? I'd love to invest and save and make tons of $$ like the rest of these people I see, but I put too high of value on enjoying the moments and enjoying the time/money spent on things now. I can't explain the happiness I feel when I spoil my family with things they want or get onto the I-5 in my 996tt at 1.0 bar...both are made possible by the sacrifice of knowing that I am paying for happiness and that service comes at an expense, just like going to the barber or getting a massage. This enjoyment completely wipes away the reality of my embarrassingly low income and long-term financed dream car.

Remember, live everyday like you are dying.

Old 02-08-2010, 09:49 PM
adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mod220
yeah, i didnt realize asking at what point your felt financially able to afford the car I'm looking to get. there's no accurate survey this stuff. most owners are either

a) in debt up to their eyeballs
b) have inherited a ton of money
c) older and have a 25 year nest egg built up

i dont match up with either of these so i'm trying to get some guidance.

thanks for your help.

Mike

If I'm OK...you should be ok too...homie

Old 02-08-2010, 09:54 PM
Duane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond repute
I’m on unemployment, disability, welfare, food stamps, and social security. My wife works at walmart but turns tricks on the side to pay for mods to the Porsche. But at least I drive to the grocery store in style.

Last edited by Duane996tt; 02-08-2010 at 11:18 PM.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:56 PM
langer911 will become famous soon enough
Net Worth income to own 911TT

I got a used one with 6 years of depreciation already builds in

Old 02-08-2010, 09:59 PM
sammyf is a glorious beacon of lightsammyf is a glorious beacon of lightsammyf is a glorious beacon of lightsammyf is a glorious beacon of lightsammyf is a glorious beacon of lightsammyf is a glorious beacon of light
You too Duane? I thought I was the only one

Did the original poster ever get a car? This thread is almost 2 years old!

Old 02-08-2010, 11:19 PM
Originally Posted by sammyf
You too Duane? I thought I was the only one

Did the original poster ever get a car? This thread is almost 2 years old!
He's prolly still driving a Civic, but its paid for.

Old 02-09-2010, 06:14 AM
RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !
holy bump