996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Just installed a new 997 shifter

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 10:04 AM
$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !
Suncoast is a Porsche dealer in Sarasota FL. They just excercise the "Porsche Tax Delete" feature on their pricing model... It is an OEM piece....I buy everything from oil filters to header gaskets to slave cylinders from them.

The part in reference is the $205 piece, so at $169 they are not giving it away, just lopping off the typical additional 20-30% markup from other dealers.

Old 05-09-2008, 10:04 AM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Does anyone know if the 997TT shifter is as short as the B&M? I like the idea, but don't want to swap my B&M for something with a longer throw.

Old 05-09-2008, 10:13 AM
SuncoastSteve is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastSteve is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastSteve is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastSteve is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastSteve is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastSteve is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastSteve is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by robertp
If it is the same, why is Suncoast shifter less money? Is it a true OEM part?
Oh, it's OEM, we're just B.A. like that

And this is just the stock shifter (not short shifter) from the current cars, so the throw will be a tad longer than the the B&M shifter or Factory Short Shifter.

Yes, the throws will be a little shorter than what you find in a 986, or 996, but it is not a true "short-shifter".

Old 05-09-2008, 10:15 AM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by SuncoastSteve
And this is just the stock shifter (not short shifter) from the current cars, so the throw will be a tad longer than the the B&M shifter or Factory Short Shifter.

Yes, the throws will be a little shorter than what you find in a 986, or 996, but it is not a true "short-shifter".
That's what I thought. I'll pass.

Thanks for the info, Steve.

Old 05-09-2008, 10:17 AM
wachuko is on a distinguished road
Question

Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
Does anyone know if the 997TT shifter is as short as the B&M? I like the idea, but don't want to swap my B&M for something with a longer throw.
I asked the same question in a similar thread but don't remember getting an answer.

I have the Porsche SSK... will this 997 setup be an improment over my current setup?

Old 05-09-2008, 10:59 AM
SuncoastSteve is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastSteve is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastSteve is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastSteve is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastSteve is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastSteve is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastSteve is a splendid one to behold
It will be different than what you have. The throws will be longer, but noticeably smoother.

A lot of people like the 997 shifters better, and just as many like the SSK. I would recommend driving a stock 997 to see how you like the shifter. It will give you a good idea of what you would be going to if you bought this particular shifter.

Old 05-09-2008, 02:06 PM
2003tt is on a distinguished road
I have a 996 TT with SSk installed and find it a bit ackward - especially going back into first. I drove my old 993 the other day and was impressed with how smooth and easy that shifter was (also with SSK) when compared to the 996.

Would this 997 assembly help my 996?

Old 05-09-2008, 02:46 PM
mose55 is on a distinguished road
I had the 997 shifter assembly installed in my 996tt...best $200 I ever spent on the car. The original is quite sloppy and wide. Newer one is slightly shorter but more importantly, the feel is more positive and tight. I didn't go the SSK route due to notchiness. I have had the car at 2 track events since the install and really like it...no problem knowing which gear I am in. For those of you who don't want the super short throw but want something tighter than OEM, this is a no brainer upgrade.

Old 05-09-2008, 03:53 PM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
Tempting... (I have short shifter (B&M), and billet shift link).

997 shifter or 997 factory short shifter??

Old 05-09-2008, 08:25 PM
MGS996TT is a splendid one to beholdMGS996TT is a splendid one to beholdMGS996TT is a splendid one to beholdMGS996TT is a splendid one to beholdMGS996TT is a splendid one to beholdMGS996TT is a splendid one to beholdMGS996TT is a splendid one to beholdMGS996TT is a splendid one to behold
I have the 997 shifter installed....works great, much better than the original shifter (shorter & firmer).....the Suncoast price is smokin, I paid about x3 the price.

Old 05-09-2008, 11:37 PM
Chuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond repute
I did it too

Swapped out the stock shifter for the 997 on my 02 X50 rather than go for the B and M, and there is a noticeable difference in shift length....most likely around a 15% shorter throw, but not as short as the B and M....but the action is so much smoother....it was a toss up for me between going with the B and M (which I had in my previous 996) and the 997...and I'm very pleased that I decided to go this way.... much prefer the 997. Out of curiosity I asked the vendor how many of the 997 shifters they were selling and he told me...."a whole lot".

Old 05-10-2008, 06:14 AM
robertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud of
How much to install?

Old 05-10-2008, 06:22 AM
$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !
Dunno how much to install if you have it done. I do know it involves removing about 10 torx screws and a couple pop off panels and takes about an hour if you do it yourself.

B&M has a better DIY than the shop manual as for dumb guys like me where PICTURES are better than words, the B&M site shines and makes it real easy!

Old 05-10-2008, 12:36 PM
hly
hly is on a distinguished road
just ordered mine from SunCoast.
Thanks for the infos

Old 05-10-2008, 04:20 PM
Adam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud of
Here is a DIY that Dr Kaspar put together... http://www.turbo911.com/showthread.php?t=282

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Just installed a new 997 shifter