996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Just installed a new 997 shifter

Old 06-17-2008, 02:18 PM
lilstan is on a distinguished road
I'm a little confused. Everyone here is saying that the 997 standard shifter is a lot better then any 996 shifter (standard or short). Can i just install a 997 short shifter and get the best of both worlds?

Old 06-17-2008, 02:22 PM
SuncoastSteve is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastSteve is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastSteve is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastSteve is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastSteve is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastSteve is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastSteve is a splendid one to behold
The 997 short shifter isn't all that much different than the 996 short shifter. The 997 one comes with the whole plastic shroud assembly and the 996 one is just the shifter itself (much like the B&M). The feel of the two are more or less identical, though.

Old 06-18-2008, 10:12 AM
triple_nickel is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
Why buy from Suncoast if Sunset in OR beats their pricing and has as good or better service?
+1 for Sunset. Awesome service and prices. FYI, no experience with Suncoast but they sound good too.

Old 06-18-2008, 11:09 AM
mdd
mdd is on a distinguished road
I've had the same awesome pricing and service from Sunset also (for many years). BTW: My 997 shifter from Sunset was $136.

Old 06-18-2008, 01:29 PM
Chuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond repute
Bought mine from Sunset too...same price....you just have to ad about $11 shipping.

Old 06-18-2008, 01:30 PM
N1_kT is on a distinguished road
wow i might have to try this out

Old 06-22-2008, 08:15 PM
Dante12 is on a distinguished road
For those still thinking about this - it is definitely a worthwhile mod.

After reading this thread last week, I picked up a 997 shifter and installed last night under an hour using the B&M instructions. The hardest part for me was unclipping the gold retaining clips (the instructions weren't that clear). Beyond that - a very straight forward and easy install.

Old 06-22-2008, 09:16 PM
Kato is just really niceKato is just really niceKato is just really niceKato is just really niceKato is just really nice
I've got a 996TT with the B&M. 2nd gear is notchy and I need to let it 'tell' me when it's ready to go in. I had a C4S before with the same shifter and it was much smoother and I could shift it faster... Is it a turbo issue? A my car issue or a B&M issue?

I love the shorter, quicker throws but want something smooth and precise... Any recommendations from people who have tried all these out?

I may try the 997 shifter out. It sounds like the 997 short shifter will basically get me to the same place that I'm currently at, correct?

Old 07-26-2008, 05:23 PM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
Hi.

I have the same issue... 996TT with the OEM short shifter installed as a factory option. I'd like to protect my tranny and the 997 standard (not short) seems to be much, much smoother than the 996 or 996ssk.

Has anyone (Woodster?) gone from 996SSK to 997 "standard" for the 136$ plus shipping and felt it was a drastic improvement?

Thanks!!!

jeff

Originally Posted by Kato
I've got a 996TT with the B&M. 2nd gear is notchy and I need to let it 'tell' me when it's ready to go in. I had a C4S before with the same shifter and it was much smoother and I could shift it faster... Is it a turbo issue? A my car issue or a B&M issue?

I love the shorter, quicker throws but want something smooth and precise... Any recommendations from people who have tried all these out?

I may try the 997 shifter out. It sounds like the 997 short shifter will basically get me to the same place that I'm currently at, correct?

Old 07-26-2008, 05:46 PM
Bodybag has a spectacular aura aboutBodybag has a spectacular aura about
Check out the recent thread about this exact thing. I laid out my $.02 about the switch from the B&M SSK to the 997 shifter... here it is:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ut-please.html

Old 07-26-2008, 06:20 PM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
Read it. Fun thread(s).

Seems the OEM is the way to go, getting a linkage, and perhaps just mentally pausing in neutral for a split second to be nice to the syncros...

I happened to get an AP unit when I got my suspension from Dan....just never installed it....I guess I will but will leave the OEM SSK in place.

No such think as a perfect shifter on these cars I guess.

Old 07-26-2008, 08:57 PM
porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !
For anyone interested in doing this still, I have a thread in the for sale section selling one 997 OEM shift tower. P/N 997-424-010-00 with calibration tool for $110 shipped to 48 states. PM me if interested. Thanks.

Old 07-27-2008, 08:42 AM
RS38 has a spectacular aura aboutRS38 has a spectacular aura about
I have the factory 996 short shift and I am not that happy with it, especially 2nd-3rd gear is difficult and for me it's a bit too short.

any opionion from those who switched from 996 SS to 997 Stock?