996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Just installed a new 997 shifter

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 10:32 PM
ruffinit is a splendid one to beholdruffinit is a splendid one to beholdruffinit is a splendid one to beholdruffinit is a splendid one to beholdruffinit is a splendid one to beholdruffinit is a splendid one to beholdruffinit is a splendid one to beholdruffinit is a splendid one to behold
Does the 997 shifter come in a factory short shift?? If so how much would that be?

Old 05-11-2008, 11:06 PM
ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !
Does the 997 shifter come in a factory short shift?? If so how much would that be?

+1, I'd like to know too.

Old 05-12-2008, 07:06 AM
SuncoastSteve is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastSteve is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastSteve is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastSteve is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastSteve is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastSteve is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastSteve is a splendid one to behold
Porsche makes a factory short shifter for the 996's and 997's. I suppose it wouldn't matter which one you bought for your car, they're pretty much the same. The throws will be shorter than the shifter this thread is referring to, but the feel is different (a bit more effort, notchier, etc). It would really depend what you are looking for. Different people like both for different reasons.

Porsche Factory Short Shift Kit

I hope that answered your question. If I missed something, let me know!

Old 05-12-2008, 08:39 AM
Chuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond repute
Having installed the 997 shifter which has the same throw as the one Steven just showed above...I can say that the pictures fairly represent the difference in the throw lengths...which are about 10-15%, but much smoother than stock. A picture is worth a thousand words.

Old 05-15-2008, 02:25 PM
robertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud of
Just picked up mine today and will attempt an install this weekend. Any tips?

Old 05-15-2008, 03:00 PM
Chicago_Steve is on a distinguished road
I just had the Porsche short shifter installed in my 997TT. What a difference. The throws are not only shorter, but also it seems to be much more precise and smoother. It is much easier to drive the car fast!

Old 05-15-2008, 10:42 PM
MGS996TT is a splendid one to beholdMGS996TT is a splendid one to beholdMGS996TT is a splendid one to beholdMGS996TT is a splendid one to beholdMGS996TT is a splendid one to beholdMGS996TT is a splendid one to beholdMGS996TT is a splendid one to beholdMGS996TT is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by robertp
Make sure the gear shifter is located in neutral before removing the cables. The new assembly comes with a plastic locator which holds the new shifter in neutral so the transition is seamless (remove the locator after the cables are connected). I also updated my shifter & hand brake at the same time.

Last edited by MGS996TT; 05-15-2008 at 10:44 PM.
Old 05-15-2008, 11:20 PM
Chuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond repute
Also be sure to count the threads on each shift cable so that you can put it back in the EXACT same position. I think some of the guys use a black marker to mark the threads....I just counted from the number of threads from the back to where it hit the stop. The threads are located on the green and white cable you see in MGS's picture above. Sometimes it's pretty difficult to read these directions and put them into a visual perspective....so the best thing you can do is PM me or one of the guys who posted and get their phone number...then they can talk you thru it and paint a verbal picture as you're looking at the shifter. I know that personally, I've read directions and appreciate the expertise and effort the author went thru to explain the process....but I'lll be damned if I could figure out exactly what he was talking about....so you become hesitant and fearful of screwing something up. That's when the phone call can help give you the confidence you need to push thru it.

I just went back and looked at "Dr. Kaspar's" DIY posted on the first part of this discussion and it's pretty informative and takes you thru the thing step by step....good info Steve....

Last edited by Chuck Jones; 05-15-2008 at 11:28 PM.
Old 05-16-2008, 07:26 AM
robertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud of
Chuck, PM sent.

Old 05-16-2008, 09:19 AM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
I ordered one yesterday from Suncoast, (997 standard shifter)
I am replacing my B&M short shifter.

Thanks,

MK

Old 05-16-2008, 08:06 PM
Originally Posted by MGS996TT
Make sure the gear shifter is located in neutral before removing the cables. The new assembly comes with a plastic locator which holds the new shifter in neutral so the transition is seamless (remove the locator after the cables are connected). I also updated my shifter & hand brake at the same time.

Thanks for the pictures. How long did it take and who's install directions did you follow?

Old 05-16-2008, 08:13 PM
MGS996TT is a splendid one to beholdMGS996TT is a splendid one to beholdMGS996TT is a splendid one to beholdMGS996TT is a splendid one to beholdMGS996TT is a splendid one to beholdMGS996TT is a splendid one to beholdMGS996TT is a splendid one to beholdMGS996TT is a splendid one to behold
It took about 1.5 hrs start to finish. Re installation directions....I rang a local Porsche tech for advice, my brother also owns a local garage so tooling is not normally a problem.

Old 06-09-2008, 07:04 PM
porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !
Just came across a couple more of these in the garage if anyone is interested in doing this still, PM me.

Old 06-09-2008, 08:10 PM
drh
drh has a spectacular aura aboutdrh has a spectacular aura aboutdrh has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by robertp
Fear not fellow enthusiast, you'll find out how simple the install is once you've done it.

Old 06-17-2008, 01:42 PM
Banned
Benjamin Choi will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by $manager
Suncoast is a Porsche dealer in Sarasota FL. They just excercise the "Porsche Tax Delete" feature on their pricing model... It is an OEM piece....I buy everything from oil filters to header gaskets to slave cylinders from them.

The part in reference is the $205 piece, so at $169 they are not giving it away, just lopping off the typical additional 20-30% markup from other dealers.

Why buy from Suncoast if Sunset in OR beats their pricing and has as good or better service?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Just installed a new 997 shifter