996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Anyone here own a Prius?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 10:42 AM
timf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud of
boca996tt Cooper S

Hi Boca,

I have a mini cooper S with stick shift and from new it's returned just under 30mpg in a combination of city and freeway driving. We drive it pretty hard, because it's that type of car :-) Ours is the super charged version, the new turbo's might do even better.

In comparison our rx400h which is used in a similar way, is about as fast, maybe a little faster on acceleration but can carry a lot more stuff and has averaged over the past 12 months nearly 29mpg overall. What's more in stop and go traffic to and from work a distance of 6 miles, I sometimes see 39 mpg !!

Quite amazing for the size of the vehicle and like someone else commented - very low brake wear, in fact hardly any brake dust at all.

Old 05-25-2008, 10:49 AM
wilfred is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
I'm seriously thinking about getting one to use as a daily. So, I'd really like to hear what owners of the cars think of them as daily-drivers.

I know, I know...the words "ugly", "chick car", and many other endearing terms all come to mind when talking about the Prius...but I really love the idea of getting 45-50 mpg in the city and being able to use the carpool lane whenever I want.

Plus, whenever I feel the need to compare d*ck size via using automobiles, I'll still have my P-car and Z06 that I can pull out and wave around.
So have I but:

First of all, check the requirement/status of the carpool lane privilege. In California, you need to have these yellow stickers issued by the DMV on the rear bumper. But there was a limit to these stickers and they are long gone.

Secondly, buying an econobox like a $15k Yaris makes much more sense to me. I know some might argue their Prius has a lot more options, but it also cost $20k-$30k. The few Prius I looked at were around $25k (no leather, no nav) so let's use that for comparison. A Yaris will get at least 30mpg in real life, and a Prius will get at least 45mpg. Let's say you put 15k/yr on this commuter alone. So with a Yaris you use 500 gallons/yr and a Prius you use 333 gallons/yr. So even at $5/gallon, 167 gallons is a saving of $835/yr. It will take 12 years to recoup the $10k.

Personally, I spend that $10k elsewhere as I dont see much difference between a Yaris or a Prius, both are great commuter cars but thats about it.

Old 05-25-2008, 11:29 AM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Speedshaq
This is a combined consumption?
Yes, pretty much a 18 mile commute each way, 65% freeway at 75mph avg and then city at 25mph avg.

Old 05-25-2008, 01:31 PM
Banned
Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by gmoney
Yes, pretty much a 18 mile commute each way, 65% freeway at 75mph avg and then city at 25mph avg.
Sounds good. How much did you paid for it?

Old 05-25-2008, 01:55 PM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
$500 over invoice year and a half ago. Honda dealer in Westminster,CA good purchase experience.

Old 05-25-2008, 01:57 PM
Former Vendor
detailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to behold
I'm seriously thinking about getting one to use as a daily. So, I'd really like to hear what owners of the cars think of them as daily-drivers.

I know, I know...the words "ugly", "chick car", and many other endearing terms all come to mind when talking about the Prius...but I really love the idea of getting 45-50 mpg in the city and being able to use the carpool lane whenever I want.

Plus, whenever I feel the need to compare d*ck size via using automobiles, I'll still have my P-car and Z06 that I can pull out and wave around.
I think you should prepay for $25K worth of gasoline, and keep a tank in your back yard. They you can drive your Porsche or Z06 anytime. $25k will buy a lot of gas, and you won't enjoy driving the car, it's underpowered, hideously ugly, and cheap inside. If you're looking for a cheap commuter, there are lots of alternatives coming out within a year or so.

John

Old 05-25-2008, 02:08 PM
rwilliamtaylor is a glorious beacon of lightrwilliamtaylor is a glorious beacon of lightrwilliamtaylor is a glorious beacon of lightrwilliamtaylor is a glorious beacon of lightrwilliamtaylor is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by zucc
hey if your looking for a small car check out the smart cars they get crazy crazy MPG

Actually NO they don't.

I went to look at one. 35 MPG only.

What's the point??

Old 05-25-2008, 02:21 PM
asc///m3 is on a distinguished road
smart cars...first off.. dont get the greatest gas mileage.. second... imagine their safety.

Old 05-26-2008, 01:59 AM
996TTDave has a spectacular aura about996TTDave has a spectacular aura about996TTDave has a spectacular aura about
Outstanding info, Dave. I really appreciate it.

Now I'm leaning towards the Prius again...
lol - of course Scott - Us prius drivers need some more supercar/exotic drivers using em!

Old 05-26-2008, 09:21 AM
jt2
jt2 is on a distinguished road
If you're considering a hybrid, and care about the way it drives at all, you should check out the Altima hybrid: http://www.edmunds.com/nissan/altima...08/review.html

It essentially uses the Toyota technology, but wrapped in a more driver-oriented package.

Old 05-26-2008, 09:33 AM
Banned
Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by gmoney
$500 over invoice year and a half ago. Honda dealer in Westminster,CA good purchase experience.
Ok, thanks for the info.

Old 05-26-2008, 10:30 AM
ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !
I too saw a smart car at an auto show. I was surprised at its fuel economy. For such a tiny car it didn't get very good mileage. I believe it was 33 mpg city.

This is second hand info but a friend of mine said his neighbor replaced their battery pack in his Prius recently. I was told this person had about 100,000 miles on their Prius. With parts and labor he said the replacement cost for the battery was $8000. WOW

Old 05-26-2008, 06:59 PM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
Smart car with MB engine gets 60-65....only 1100 sold in the US

Old 05-26-2008, 09:08 PM
996TTDave has a spectacular aura about996TTDave has a spectacular aura about996TTDave has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by ReeknHavic
I too saw a smart car at an auto show. I was surprised at its fuel economy. For such a tiny car it didn't get very good mileage. I believe it was 33 mpg city.

This is second hand info but a friend of mine said his neighbor replaced their battery pack in his Prius recently. I was told this person had about 100,000 miles on their Prius. With parts and labor he said the replacement cost for the battery was $8000. WOW
Should've just traded the car in... it's not like the dealer would've initially even known the battery was done for

Old 05-26-2008, 10:07 PM
rafiki is on a distinguished road

Funny sh*t re: di***ck size

I think Prius is a great idea...had a spare Echo to drive for a month or so and I almost ran out of petrol because I'd forget it needed the stuff to run...it seemed that irrespective of mileage, I only needed to fill up every few weeks...great feeling....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Anyone here own a Prius?