996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Rearview mirror issue...anyone had the same?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 11:40 AM
villains_turbo is a jewel in the roughvillains_turbo is a jewel in the roughvillains_turbo is a jewel in the rough
Rearview mirror issue...anyone had the same?

So there is a weird issue with my rearview mirror. the other day i got in and it looked like a liquid or something in the mirror and it was all blurry. I figured it wasnt a huge deal and needed to replace it, but then when i got back in later i smelled the faint smell of plastic burning, and there was a little circular area (under where the green 'auto' light is on the mirror) that was melted/melting and dripping plastic. all the rest of the mirror was fine (outside of the glass mentioned) so its not like it was insanely hot and the whole mirror was melting - just this little couple centimeter area in a little circle. The next day it had dried and isnt dripping any more, but i figure there has to be a short or something in the wiring inside the mirror?
anyone seen this before?
how much of a pita is it to swap the mirror?
TIA.

Old 06-23-2008, 11:43 AM
Ag Surfer is infamous around these parts
It's the auto dimming chemical that is inside the mirror. I would remove it before it drips all over your interior. This problem was common in BMWs. Surprised to hear about it in a porsche.

Old 06-23-2008, 12:36 PM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Magna Donnelly to the rescue?

Yes common in BMW- in fact the BMW OEM manufacturer was providing replacements out of warranty directly to owners! Shockinly stand up behaviour in this day and age. Company was magna donnelly. Don't know who makes the 996 glass though...

Oh, yes the electrochromic fluid WILL DESTROY what it lands upon....

Old 06-23-2008, 01:21 PM
villains_turbo is a jewel in the roughvillains_turbo is a jewel in the roughvillains_turbo is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by ard
Magna Donnelly to the rescue?

Yes common in BMW- in fact the BMW OEM manufacturer was providing replacements out of warranty directly to owners! Shockinly stand up behaviour in this day and age. Company was magna donnelly. Don't know who makes the 996 glass though...

Oh, yes the electrochromic fluid WILL DESTROY what it lands upon....
Thanks guys. i have an appt to get it fixed...silly thing will cost about $500 when installed, but whatever...
maybe im missing something, but how would that liquid get out of there?

i am guessing the melting part of the mirror is another issue? either way, hopefully the new one makes it go away. in the interim, i wrapped some cardboard around it and taped it up. She can just sit and wait till friday i suppose.

Old 06-23-2008, 03:05 PM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by villains_turbo
but how would that liquid get out of there?

i am guessing the melting part of the mirror is another issue? either way, hopefully the new one makes it go away. in the interim, i wrapped some cardboard around it and taped it up. She can just sit and wait till friday i suppose.
I am not sure, but the mirror is actually a sandwich of glass, conductors and fluid. If the seal around the edge of the mirror fails, then air enters and the mirror develops a spot or defect. If that failed seal is where gravity will allow, fluid can leach out....

Old 06-23-2008, 03:12 PM
SeattleDL is infamous around these parts
Not sure if it's the same supplier, but I had the same thing happen in my E39 M5.

As others have said, Magna Donnelly replaced the mirror at no charge. It was a 2 minute swap, then sent them the busted mirror back.

The QA contact I had there was: Steve.Chenlo@MagnaDonnelly.com

Old 06-23-2008, 04:30 PM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
Sorry to hear...I know that liquid is bad stuff....my wife took her side mirror off on her lexus and is damaged the paint. First I have heard this problem with Porsche though.

Old 06-28-2008, 08:05 AM
so here's the deal if anyone was worried about their mirror flaking out in a similar fashion.
apparently there was a short or something and that caused the plastic to melt in that one little spot. that is what let air into the glass and then that melty plastic dried, so i didnt actually have anything leak out - thankfully.
the mount point for the mirror was also broke a little, so it needed to be replaced either way.
$450 and a couple minutes of work and its all good.
I did get one small drip - from the plastic i think - on the side piece next to the shifter, like on the side...which with can-can red, that blows, but its hardly noticeable and if it starts to annoy me, ill replace or re-dye it or something.

Thanks for the help guys.