996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Twin Turbo Shootout

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-02-2004, 08:53 AM
Banned
Matt Fresh is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by fredttx50
I heard it's still on but some new details have just come up that I think most of us were not aware of.

For example. I just heard the cost is $4000 per car and that the hotel they are trying to put us in is Motel Like!!! I also heard they changed tire sponsors and those tires don't fit the specs for the porsches.

So I am very curious as to understand what is going on here. I would like to get a breakdown of this $4K cost. For those who are to be entered, I would like each of you to push that we stay at a nicer hotel and discuss why such hefty entry fees. When I was told about it, this was never brought up.

Does anyone else have any other news?
Yes Yes, Bring on the Venetian... is the Winn hotel going to be open yet?

Old 10-02-2004, 09:08 AM
collin996tt is on a distinguished road
For example. I just heard the cost is $4000 per car
Gulp! Why not make it $5000 and throw in a penthouse suite?

Old 10-02-2004, 10:53 AM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Originally posted by collin996tt
Gulp! Why not make it $5000 and throw in a penthouse suite?
I just went to their website, It says fifteen cars and $3,600.

Old 10-02-2004, 01:57 PM
AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !
Hum....we were under the impression the 3600 included a hotel on the strip (I believe he mentioned Belagio), some fancy meals, Cup tires, race gas, track, etc... Has this changed?? Also said we were supposed to have a packet with all info a good month ago....
Evan

Old 10-02-2004, 02:01 PM
Rex0071% is an unknown quantity at this point
cjv,

is there a new website?????

Old 10-02-2004, 07:36 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Originally posted by schmick325
cjv,

is there a new website?????
I found this: http://www.twinturboshootout.com/highroller You will have to contact them for any further information. In all probability Killer Angel will not be ready in time to participate in the event. As it appears now, Thanksgiving is more like it. I don't have any more info than most other's at this time.

Last edited by cjv; 10-03-2004 at 12:04 AM.
Old 10-03-2004, 12:07 AM
cjv
The following is a brief of the above referenced website. The site includes pics.

Only 15 SPOTS SO RESERVE ONLINE TODAY!

High Roller Shootout
Porsche Twin Turbo Tuner Invitational
After much discussion and research, the High Roller Shootout is a go! And your organization is cordially being invited.

What is the Shootout? A three-day event aimed at determining how the engineering prowess of you, the tuners, can be translated into road-going machines.

November 9-11, 2004 - Las Vegas, NV

This event is to be run in the spirit of fair play. Knowing there is no way to provide totally objective “laboratory” conditions for comparison. Our best judgment will be used to provide a fair playing field, and it is imperative that each team bring with them a good attitude and understanding that this is an endeavor in enjoying our passion for fine automobiles, not naming winners and losers.

Toyo Tires: The tire of choice for the event is the Toyo Proxes RA-1 High Performance Radial. All registered competitors will be provided a set of these ultra-high performance tires for use in the test. Each car will be required to carry Toyo graphics during the event.

Racelogic - Timing Sponsor: Timing of events will be done courtesy of the VBox GPS based technology. This will require quick install and deinstalls of a box that is a bit larger than a cigarette pack, with a cord to the cigarette lighter and a wired antennae on the roof. Duct tape may be used in securing the box. The data that can be acquired from this box will be informative to both teams and drivers and will supplant the need for the setup of a track/car transponder system. Stopwatches will be used as back up.

Event Registration & Entry Fee
Entry Fee $3,600
The Registration & Entry fee for the event will be $3,600 per vehicle. This fee will include registration of vehicle, four (4) team support passes and two (2) hotel rooms (November 9 & 10). The Pit Areas will be stocked with refreshments and all registrants will have access to the VIP Suites.

** There are a maximum of 15 spaces available but we need a minimum of 12 tuners/vehicles to make this event happen Registration is based on a first come, first served basis and will be held until we reach our minimum teams at which time the registration fee will become non-refundable.

YOU MUST register online at the "Hooked on Driving" website

Additional VIP Tickets $250
Attend the two days of track competitions and additional VIP Events to be announced.

Anyone interested in being updated on VIP Tickets/Events should sign up on our email list.

Preliminary Information
As details are finalized we will be providing all information to you. The website: www.twinturboshootout.com is under-construction. We will post current information on the Event and schedule on the website as well as via email newsletters. But please do not hesitate to call with any questions!

Excellence Magazine Coverstory
You will all be winners from the graphical treatment and written content in the cover story in “Excellence Magazine" and there will be no protest process- just common sense applied to quick decision-making.

Press Release and additional media coverage are in the works. (need to work in this paragraph).

The Event Details & Schedule

Tuesday, November 9th
DYNO: The “Excellence” editor has informed us that due to many potential issues in comparative dyno tests, these will be done for information only. We agree, but for different reasons. We are aware of the “tenability” of these cars; as the on-track performance is what a driver will experience in the real world, we believe that a theoretical maximum horsepower is interesting but not useful when applied to the performance criteria. To explain further, we would have to disable any adjustable mechanisms, impound the cars and ensure the cars were tested on track at the same levels that were reflected in the dyno tests. This would be awkward for all of us. So, you may go for it on the dyno tests, with knowledge that the cars must be roadworthy early the next day.

Reminder: Front half-shafts will need to be disconnected for the test, and it would be ideal for cars to arrive with this done. Provisions, tools, and equipment will be available to assist in reconnecting, but it is your responsibility to get this done.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wednesday, November 10th
ROAD COURSE - LAP TIMES: Lap times on the Las Vegas Motor Speedway road course will be the most heavily weighted criteria. With Professional Race Drivers, Johannes Van Overbeek and Darren Law each driving all cars.

Road Course Map (pdf) - click here

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------Thursday, November 11th
DRAG STRIP:

1/4 MILE: The next level of criteria will be ¼ mile elapsed times on the LVMS NHRA sanctioned drag strip. Both drivers will get two opportunities to get the best from each car, and we’ll use best time rather than an average, so that the drivers can “go for it” without concern for ruining the average. Top speed for the quarter mile will be posted and published.

BRAKING: This event is still to be finalized with the race track operations manager, but we plan to perform two 0-100-0 stops with each car. Because you will be using race-type brakes on the cars for other criteria, you will be allowed to “borrow” the cars for a five minute jaunt to warm the brake pads before the run.

PLEASE REMEMBER:
We're trying to cram a whole lot of fun and excitement into the two days that we have on the track (all without burning out our drivers and our event staff)! The schedule will undoubtedly being changing but we will keep you updated as we go along.

Sponsors

Event Sponsorships are available.

For additional information please contact Irene Kimmel at 831-465-9676.

Additional Notes

Real-world drive: While the route is not yet confirmed, and may change during the event based on available time, there will be at least 3 qualified “civilians” available to drive your cars on a modest loop in freeway, stoplight and parking situations. These drivers will not be focusing on performance, but real-world drivability. This is a subjective element of the competition and will not be given heavy priority. However, it will be up to the staff of “Excellence” to determine the final weighting of the tests.

Modifications: We know that the mods are what this event is all about. You are encouraged to have a “resume” of each car available to “Excellence” so that we have a context for the competition. This event is primarily for 3.6 liter engines. We ask that, on an honor system, any displacement modifications be disclosed.

Contact Information
We are still finalizing Sponsors, negotiating hotel space and planning additional activities.
Event Contacts:

David Ray
Event Director
Hooked on Driving
email: info@hookedondriving.com
tel: 925-552-8112

Tim Pratt
Autobaron
email: tim@autobaron.com
cell: 415-307-2100

Media/Sponsorship & Press Inquiries:

Irene Kimmel
Archetype Marketing
email: irene@archetypemarketing.com
tel. 831-465-9676

©2004 copyright ArchetypeMarketing.com

Last edited by cjv; 10-04-2004 at 07:08 AM.
Old 10-03-2004, 12:56 PM
Rex0071% is an unknown quantity at this point

cheers for that, looks good....I hope they get the 12 or so cars needed...

Old 10-03-2004, 08:06 PM
cjv
Does Toyo make the correct stock size tires for the 996tt? How about other sizes 265/35-18, 275/35-18, 315/30-18 or 335/30-18?

Maybe they do offer something. I guess we need to look into this.

Last edited by cjv; 10-03-2004 at 08:41 PM.
Old 10-03-2004, 10:17 PM
Banned
Roger is on a distinguished road
According to their site(Toyo) they don't make the right sizes for the TT unless there is something new...They make the 225 front, but the rear is a 305/35r18 instead of a 305/30r18, I guess it will fit, just taller, looks like the have all the Viper sizes..

Last edited by Roger; 10-03-2004 at 10:20 PM.
Old 10-04-2004, 12:21 AM
fredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond repute
Guys, if Toyo tires does not make the right sizes for our cars may I ask why Toyo has been selected.

Sorry but it makes absolutely no sense to me at all!!!!!

I suggest all the car entries contact the organizers and recommend another tire manufacturer.

Anyone with me?

Old 10-04-2004, 02:06 AM
dpblessing is on a distinguished road
Guys, if Toyo tires does not make the right sizes for our cars may I ask why Toyo has been selected.

Sorry but it makes absolutely no sense to me at all!!!!!

I suggest all the car entries contact the organizers and recommend another tire manufacturer.

Anyone with me?

TOYO is the tire sponsor? But they cannot even supply the right tires?

How does that work then? You must run tires that are the wrong size for your car? Potentially unsafe. (ohh, that is smart advertising for TOYO). Or, failing running the wrong size, what... you get to pay $3,600 to play, stick TOYO's name all over your car, buy your own tires too?

Sounds pretty F'd up to me.

Last edited by dpblessing; 10-04-2004 at 02:22 AM.
Old 10-04-2004, 02:58 AM
collin996tt is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by dpblessing
you get to pay $3,600 to play, stick TOYO's name all over your car, buy your own tires too?
Sounds pretty F'd up to me.
That does sound pretty F'd up. In effect, participants are paying TOYO to advertise their tires. Unless you have a Viper or a car that their products cater to, your results don't really matter.

How many P-cars carry TOYO rubbers?

Old 10-04-2004, 03:55 AM
cjv
It looks like they would have to go with 225's and 275's for the stock size wheels. I don't believe the RA1's in the 305's will work. The OD is about 26.5". Now the 275's and 335's might work on my setup.

Last edited by cjv; 10-04-2004 at 07:12 AM.
Old 10-04-2004, 04:45 AM
dpblessing is on a distinguished road
also, are there no 4 wheel dynos in Las Vegas?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Twin Turbo Shootout