996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

4 Wheel Alignment?town Fair Tire

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 07-14-2008, 11:30 AM
Billystang is infamous around these parts
4 Wheel Alignment?town Fair Tire

What is the difference if you go to Town Fair and do it for $99?
Im sure they have the specs on file.
But even if they dont we can give them the specs to do it.
Can you please tell me the difference?
By the way anyone knows the specs to post it?
i have pss9s with 19'' wheels
Thanks in advance

Last edited by Billystang; 07-14-2008 at 01:37 PM. Reason: definition
Old 07-14-2008, 07:55 PM
Joe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to behold
The difference can be in the quality and calibration of the alignment
equipment, and the degree of personal responsibility of the employee
doing the job.

Old 07-14-2008, 08:50 PM
seattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really nice
Originally Posted by Billystang
What is the difference if you go to Town Fair and do it for $99?
Kind of what I was thinking when I took my car for tires at Discount Tires- right up to the point when they dropped my car off the jacks.

Old 07-14-2008, 10:01 PM
Hua
Hua has much to be proud ofHua has much to be proud ofHua has much to be proud ofHua has much to be proud ofHua has much to be proud ofHua has much to be proud ofHua has much to be proud ofHua has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Cpais
Anybody can buy an alignment machine, does'nt mean anyone can use it. Most alignment shops have a car on and off that thing in half an hour. I know that a lot of coil-over set-ups offer adjustment above and betond what the factory components offer, do you want to rely on Discount Tires/ Pep Boys/ local tire shop, with your alignment? I don't think that I do.
To a degree. But there's a line between paying a little to get it done right, and flat out getting the Porsche tax.

I would never pay $400 to get an alignment done.

Old 07-15-2008, 12:14 PM
just called another guy who does porsches and said around $200 and about 1.5 hours.
thats sound ok.
i believe if you give a technician the specs should be easy to do it .
But again you never know!
As you see everyone charges different

Old 07-15-2008, 05:23 PM
Hua
Hua has much to be proud ofHua has much to be proud ofHua has much to be proud ofHua has much to be proud ofHua has much to be proud ofHua has much to be proud ofHua has much to be proud ofHua has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Cpais
I had a non Porsche vehicle with coil-overs and I went to a regular wheel place for an alignment. they could not get the car within the specs that I wanted, they said that the car did not have the adjustability in it. they talked with the coil-over manufacturer and they still said it could not be done. I too it to a second place and the same result. I finally took the car to someone that specialized in high performance alignments and got the job done. it cost me a hell of a lot more money but I got what I wanted finally.
If your car was lowered beyond the norm with coilovers, there is only so much adjustment you can make with the OEM components. The reason it may have cost you more is that they picked up a camber kit for you.

There's nothing magical about a $99 alignment or a $400 alignment. It's not like suddenly you pay $400, and they can get a couple extra millimeters of adjustment.

If anyone in the central Ohio area needs an alignment done on their P-car, I can get it done for $50 at the local Porsche dealership.

Old 07-15-2008, 05:38 PM
vincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond repute
$400 usually includes corner balance and height adjustments.

Old 07-16-2008, 08:40 AM
Originally Posted by Hua
If your car was lowered beyond the norm with coilovers, there is only so much adjustment you can make with the OEM components. The reason it may have cost you more is that they picked up a camber kit for you.

There's nothing magical about a $99 alignment or a $400 alignment. It's not like suddenly you pay $400, and they can get a couple extra millimeters of adjustment.

If anyone in the central Ohio area needs an alignment done on their P-car, I can get it done for $50 at the local Porsche dealership.
Too bad im in MA,
i will go to a porsche garage for around $200
but i still believe a lot of dealers and non, charge too much for different services for our cars

Old 07-16-2008, 08:54 AM
BostonCarrera4S is just really niceBostonCarrera4S is just really niceBostonCarrera4S is just really niceBostonCarrera4S is just really nice
Originally Posted by Billystang
Too bad im in MA,
i will go to a porsche garage for around $200
but i still believe a lot of dealers and non, charge too much for different services for our cars
Where do you go to get your work done on your car? I've been looking for a reliable place to take my car to service instead of the dealerships.

Old 07-16-2008, 10:41 AM
Originally Posted by BostonCarrera4S
Where do you go to get your work done on your car? I've been looking for a reliable place to take my car to service instead of the dealerships.
The owners name is Bill
he worked on my car couple times he is good and reasonable!
im going there for 4 wheel alignment soon
Tell him Bill with the wicked black 996tt recommended you!

http://www.eurotechracecars.com/home.html
Good luck!
Bill

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 01-16-2011 at 10:06 AM. Reason: active link
Old 01-15-2011, 03:30 PM
geetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Hua

Which local dealer? I've been to Byers and was referred elsewhere as my car was too low to get it on their rack. Aligned 2x and still not satisfied.
Thanks.

Old 01-16-2011, 08:42 AM
Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !
this is a subject that keeps popping up. If you what a alignment cheap you most likely are only getting all your setting "in the green" That is you are close not ideal for people who prefer perfect. I use to spend hour and hours getting it perfect. adjusting toe changes camber and so on.. Every time you adjust one thing you need to double and some times triple back to get it right on the money or you can just "put it in the green" or as the local tire shop say "set the toe and let her go!"

Old 01-16-2011, 10:02 AM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Tim941NYC
this is a subject that keeps popping up. If you what a alignment cheap you most likely are only getting all your setting "in the green" That is you are close not ideal for people who prefer perfect. I use to spend hour and hours getting it perfect. adjusting toe changes camber and so on.. Every time you adjust one thing you need to double and some times triple back to get it right on the money or you can just "put it in the green" or as the local tire shop say "set the toe and let her go!"

You can get a 'set the toe and let her go" anywhere - 'high end' or 'big name tire shop'...

You cannot judge the book by the cover. I have a tire shop with an alignment rack that will do a great job for me on my cars. I'll crawl under the car with them and we discuss it as the job is done. It is not the norm.

But I agree, just setting it "in the green" is a waste of money...

A