996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Stereo Upgrade for MOST System

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-22-2019, 03:31 PM
split is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these parts
I'm confused about this method of replacing the factory amplifier. The factory Bose amp is 7 channel, so how are all 7 channels being powered by 5 channels.

Old 03-22-2019, 09:55 PM
Stebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond repute
I used a JL 6 channel amp:

Put my dash right and door right in parallel on 1 channel

Put my dash left and door left in parallel on 1 channel

Right rear alone on 1 channel

Left rear alone on 1 channel

Bridged channel 5&6 for my sub

Last edited by Stebo; 03-22-2019 at 10:22 PM.
Old 03-22-2019, 10:46 PM
split is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Stebo
I used a JL 6 channel amp:

Put my dash right and door right in parallel on 1 channel

Put my dash left and door left in parallel on 1 channel

Right rear alone on 1 channel

Left rear alone on 1 channel

Bridged channel 5&6 for my sub
I thought all the speakers are 2 ohms. Wouldn't that mean your dash/door combo would be only 1ohm when wired in parallel?

Old 03-23-2019, 07:16 AM
Stebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond repute
I replaced all of my speakers with 4 ohm units.

For stock speakers with an aftermarket amp, see this link

https://cai-store.com/pages/996-cabr...-new-amplifier

It's a pretty good website with a lot more good info than just that article. Definitely browse around it. They have done a bunch of Porsche stuff and actually share the info which is nice!

I ordered some stuff from them, but ended up going my own way on the hardware. E.g. the 6 channel amp. Got it all from crutchfeild. I felt like the 5 channel amp was janky with stock speakers, and in the end I elected to do the whole shebang.

To answer your question: it looks like the guys running 5 channel amps have aftermarket subs.

Last edited by Stebo; 03-24-2019 at 08:39 AM.
Old 03-25-2019, 07:15 AM
vogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond repute
I replaced all of my speakers with 4 ohm units.

For stock speakers with an aftermarket amp, see this link

https://cai-store.com/pages/996-cabr...-new-amplifier

It's a pretty good website with a lot more good info than just that article. Definitely browse around it. They have done a bunch of Porsche stuff and actually share the info which is nice!

I ordered some stuff from them, but ended up going my own way on the hardware. E.g. the 6 channel amp. Got it all from crutchfeild. I felt like the 5 channel amp was janky with stock speakers, and in the end I elected to do the whole shebang.

To answer your question: it looks like the guys running 5 channel amps have aftermarket subs.
If you're not looking for audiophile quality and don't want to spend a buttload on a project like this, the 5-channel amp option is actually great and you can use the stock sub.

I upgraded the dash speakers to some 5.25in JBL 2-ways and ran them directly off the aftermarket head unit front channel. I then ran each of the remaining factory interior speakers off of 4 of the 5 channels on the amp. I rewired the factory sub speakers in series to bring them up to 4 ohm and ran that off of the 5th sub channel on the amp.

Old 03-25-2019, 05:19 PM
I probably should have mentioned that I have a Cabriolet, which only comes with a single 1 ohm sub. It definitely affected my decision making process.

Old 03-25-2019, 09:28 PM
vogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond repute
I probably should have mentioned that I have a Cabriolet, which only comes with a single 1 ohm sub. It definitely affected my decision making process.
Ah, details, haha. I now see the cab in your avatar.

Old 03-28-2019, 08:34 AM
techweenie has a brilliant futuretechweenie has a brilliant futuretechweenie has a brilliant futuretechweenie has a brilliant futuretechweenie has a brilliant futuretechweenie has a brilliant futuretechweenie has a brilliant futuretechweenie has a brilliant futuretechweenie has a brilliant futuretechweenie has a brilliant futuretechweenie has a brilliant future
I also have a Cab that came with MOST. Del Rey Customs fixed me up with a 5-channel Alpine amp, hardwired to a touchscreen/CarPlay head unit. Sound is okay, as I haven't replaced the speakers, but as a first step, it's not too $$$$ painful.

Old 03-28-2019, 10:21 AM
They likely put the sub in series with one of the doors...

I can figure it out if you take a close-up picture of the speaker wires coming out of the amp.

Last edited by Stebo; 03-28-2019 at 11:14 AM.
Old 03-28-2019, 05:03 PM
techweenie has a brilliant futuretechweenie has a brilliant futuretechweenie has a brilliant futuretechweenie has a brilliant futuretechweenie has a brilliant futuretechweenie has a brilliant futuretechweenie has a brilliant futuretechweenie has a brilliant futuretechweenie has a brilliant futuretechweenie has a brilliant futuretechweenie has a brilliant future
They likely put the sub in series with one of the doors...

I can figure it out if you take a close-up picture of the speaker wires coming out of the amp.
Here you go.

Old 03-28-2019, 05:39 PM
Isn't that the input side? 3 pairs of rca... there should be another bunch of wires coming out... that or your amp came with special wiring harnesses for each channel and the terminations are done downstream somewhere.

I landed my speaker wires directly on their respective channels that way I could tell what was going where, like this:

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20190328_195139.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	1.94 MB
ID:	532254  

Last edited by Stebo; 03-28-2019 at 06:00 PM.
Old 03-28-2019, 05:41 PM
Duh, sorry, yes, input side. But the other side is not accessible.

Old 03-28-2019, 05:54 PM
I'd like to see it, if you dont mind

I mean just zoomed out, such that I can see the wires. Want to see the install as it sits. I'm not asking you to tear it apart.

Something like this

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190328_195800.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	1.55 MB
ID:	532255

Last edited by Stebo; 03-28-2019 at 05:58 PM.
Old 09-07-2022, 01:22 PM
G8rJimbo is an unknown quantity at this point
Stebo,

Checking to see if you're still on. How did you mount that amp to the carpet area in the Frunk?

I'd like to see it, if you dont mind

I mean just zoomed out, such that I can see the wires. Want to see the install as it sits. I'm not asking you to tear it apart.

Something like this

Attachment 532255

Old 09-07-2022, 01:40 PM
I'm still on... but when i switched back to apple from android, I can't find the damn forum in the app store, so I'm around A LOT less. Anyway, I made a custom mount using a piece of plywood that I covered in carpet. then, I bent some metal ( i think it was a galvanized simpson strap from home depot), drilled out the mounting holes, painted it black, and used the factory bolt and one of the attachment points for the CD changer on the fire wall. Unfortunately, my car is in storage at a buddy's house otherwise I'd run out there and take some more pics.

If you look close in the pic above you can see what i'm talking about. But yeah, totally custom. I got the carpet from a local car audio shop - thinking back on it - I had them use their spray glue and carpet to wrap it for me. It came out great. The carpet matches so well, that it is impossible to tell. I screwed the amp to the plywood and then bolted the plywood to the firewall.

It just sits there and is held in by the one bolt that you can see. It's totally secure and I drive like a maniac.

Last edited by Stebo; 09-07-2022 at 01:53 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Stereo Upgrade for MOST System