996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Did a search...P1109 without any PSM/ABS lights...MAF?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 11:58 AM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Did a search...P1109 without any PSM/ABS lights...if not the MAF?

Hi.

Tranny and engine in/out for a complete tranny rebuild. The rebuild is like butter.

On the way home, CEL. First one ever.

OBD II at home (service guy says take it home and have the code read) gets P1109.

I clear the code. Clean the MAF. Drive today. Stint in the mountains, fast and aggressive. No code.

Go to pick up a person from and on the way out of a parking lot in first or second gear going slowly...the CEL goes again.

I don't hear any leaks.

Original MAF.....

So I ordered a new MAF...will try that. If not that...what do you guys think? Anything I can fix without going back to the shop. I don't see or hear any leaks....and the car is driving smoothly. Boost is being held on the boost guage. So, I am at a loss. MAF...then O2 sensors...then what?

Thanks in advance. I did the searches, etc., but the facts are specific to each case....

Jeff

Last edited by jcb-memphis; 09-10-2008 at 07:46 PM.
Old 09-07-2008, 12:21 PM
riley6 can only hope to improve
I feel your pain, my CEL blinked today (a few times) after replacing the plugs last week. Now I'm worried it's something else too .

Old 09-07-2008, 12:45 PM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
P1109: Input variables, charge measurement above limit

Possible fault cause:
heavily soiled throttle
Throttle adjusting unit faulty
MAF faulty

My guess is the MAF....cleaning will not fix a fried MAF.

BTW, could be the MAF is not installed correctly or there is something loose....anytime you change stuff out, things can happen.

Last edited by wross996TT; 09-07-2008 at 01:24 PM.
Old 09-07-2008, 01:52 PM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Also note that if a light comes on, then turns off, the code should still be set in memory....

Old 09-07-2008, 02:21 PM
My light is solid now, so taking it back tomorrow. I seemed to observe the light came on/blinked after driving at a constant 3K rpm for a while, not sure if there is any correlation to anything? (Not trying to steal your thunder Jeff).

Old 09-07-2008, 03:34 PM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
My CEL stays on unless I clear the code. NO PSM/ABS lights going off....so not the classic MAF though.

Funny thing, I drove hard...no CEL. I drove out of a parking lot onto a 35mph road....CEL.

Smooth road. No loud leaks...I think I was hearing my DV's. I am hoping it is just bad luck and a MAF. I use paper filters....OEM....don't feel that under 600hp doing otherwise is worth the hastle. I checked what one can "see" with the engine bay open and all the wiring and pipes look better than new...they refreshed/cleaned things as they went back over the car much like a race car team (what they do at DAS too, so I guess they have only one way of doing things...top tier...sort of why I doubt they broke anything).

Some have noted that MAF's are consumables on this car. Perhaps my original from 2002 was due. Just bad timing.

If it is not the maf....the shop is superb and will take care of things. I figured I had to try the obvious before doing the 100 minute drive to them....

I hope it is the MAF. I'll report back.

Great guys. So, I figure MAF is 9.9/10 and other is 0.1/10.

Thanks Statman and everyone. I am praying it is not a wiring harness issue....

Jeff

Last edited by jcb-memphis; 09-07-2008 at 03:40 PM.
Old 09-07-2008, 04:48 PM
unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !
JCB , why did you rebuild your tranny? 2nd gear pop out ? and what shop did the instal? location?

Old 09-07-2008, 05:04 PM
Originally Posted by jcb-memphis
My CEL stays on unless I clear the code. NO PSM/ABS lights going off....so not the classic MAF though.

Funny thing, I drove hard...no CEL. I drove out of a parking lot onto a 35mph road....CEL.

Smooth road. No loud leaks...I think I was hearing my DV's. I am hoping it is just bad luck and a MAF. I use paper filters....OEM....don't feel that under 600hp doing otherwise is worth the hastle. I checked what one can "see" with the engine bay open and all the wiring and pipes look better than new...they refreshed/cleaned things as they went back over the car much like a race car team (what they do at DAS too, so I guess they have only one way of doing things...top tier...sort of why I doubt they broke anything).

Some have noted that MAF's are consumables on this car. Perhaps my original from 2002 was due. Just bad timing.

If it is not the maf....the shop is superb and will take care of things. I figured I had to try the obvious before doing the 100 minute drive to them....

I hope it is the MAF. I'll report back.

Great guys. So, I figure MAF is 9.9/10 and other is 0.1/10.

Thanks Statman and everyone. I am praying it is not a wiring harness issue....

Jeff
Can bad DV's cause a CEL?

Maybe it's my MAF too. How many miles on yours?

Old 09-08-2008, 04:49 AM
Originally Posted by unvmym3
JCB , why did you rebuild your tranny? 2nd gear pop out ? and what shop did the install? location?
Dougherty's Automotive Services (the same DAS I think as the bars). Yes. It is butter now. See the 2nd gear PO thread. On this issue I suspect MAF more and more. On the drive to work today, after clearing the same code again yesterday....no code....that suggests to me something electronic. I have one coming overnight via a website provider of discount parts.

Now, if not the MAF, I'll have to go back. I cannot say enough about how good a shop those guys are. The only thing I did not like before about the car was the tranny...that is gone now. It is superb. This car is a weapon. Period.

Imagine the SSK and smooth as silk shifts. No friction. Clunk into each gear effortlessly but with solidity and precision. Amazing...simply amazing.

I never had even the most remote hope for this...this beats anything in my prior E36 car...and that is saying a lot....it is Honda-like or better to be fair. And I set Honda shifting (my mind) as just about tops).

They even did the prevention mods from the old Powerhaus that I figured out with some very explicit and kind help form Erik@carquip and Viperbob.

Riley6.....I think the data you need is in the search engine. But I suspect any leak can cause a CEL. DV's usually honk, if I am not mistaken, if OEM and broken, but I am sure that is not 100%. Mine are Forge's set up by Kevin at UMW...put in with my LWFW/performance clutch. I might add clutch action now is amazingly smooth too....nothing like a good shop to get it all "just right."

JB

Last edited by jcb-memphis; 09-08-2008 at 04:53 AM.
Old 09-08-2008, 09:58 AM
Dougherty's Automotive Services (the same DAS I think as the bars). Yes. It is butter now. See the 2nd gear PO thread. On this issue I suspect MAF more and more. On the drive to work today, after clearing the same code again yesterday....no code....that suggests to me something electronic. I have one coming overnight via a website provider of discount parts.

Now, if not the MAF, I'll have to go back. I cannot say enough about how good a shop those guys are. The only thing I did not like before about the car was the tranny...that is gone now. It is superb. This car is a weapon. Period.

Imagine the SSK and smooth as silk shifts. No friction. Clunk into each gear effortlessly but with solidity and precision. Amazing...simply amazing.

I never had even the most remote hope for this...this beats anything in my prior E36 car...and that is saying a lot....it is Honda-like or better to be fair. And I set Honda shifting (my mind) as just about tops).

They even did the prevention mods from the old Powerhaus that I figured out with some very explicit and kind help form Erik@carquip and Viperbob.

Riley6.....I think the data you need is in the search engine. But I suspect any leak can cause a CEL. DV's usually honk, if I am not mistaken, if OEM and broken, but I am sure that is not 100%. Mine are Forge's set up by Kevin at UMW...put in with my LWFW/performance clutch. I might add clutch action now is amazingly smooth too....nothing like a good shop to get it all "just right."

JB
Jeff,
So your experience with Dougherty has been golden? I might try them next, they are about a half hour away from me. My car is at Fairwinds (in DE) right now.

Old 09-08-2008, 10:46 AM
Originally Posted by riley6
Jeff,
So your experience with Dougherty has been golden? I might try them next, they are about a half hour away from me. My car is at Fairwinds (in DE) right now.
If they were that close (I am 100 minutes), they would be my only shop.

JB

Old 09-08-2008, 01:05 PM
If they were that close (I am 100 minutes), they would be my only shop.

JB
Definately will check em out. I'll tell em you sent me .

Old 09-08-2008, 01:25 PM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
P1109 is generically the Intake Air Temperature sensor... I believe in a Bosch this is within the MAF capsule. (As I recall there are 4-5 wires to a MAF, +5, Grd, signal then two for temperature...??)

So the classic 'blown maf' might be an open or short or something on the air flow signal line, which causes the wacky PSM/lights... but an open IAT can also be a bad MAF but the thermistor portion...

Conjecture. Lets see what the new one does!

A

PS Might also be worth checking the wiring back to the ECU for the temp circuit...

Old 09-08-2008, 05:32 PM
Originally Posted by ard
P1109 is generically the Intake Air Temperature sensor... I believe in a Bosch this is within the MAF capsule. (As I recall there are 4-5 wires to a MAF, +5, Grd, signal then two for temperature...??)

So the classic 'blown maf' might be an open or short or something on the air flow signal line, which causes the wacky PSM/lights... but an open IAT can also be a bad MAF but the thermistor portion...

Conjecture. Lets see what the new one does!

A

PS Might also be worth checking the wiring back to the ECU for the temp circuit...

I plan to pop the new MAF in tomorrow. If fine...voila.

If not fine, DAS wants me to call them. In the end, it will be ok....just annoying after a bunch of nice summer weeks without her...driving is so nice....thanks Ard! It is probably just the MAF and my bad luck to blow my first MAF on the road back from getting the 2nd gear problems done and buried.

Jeff

Old 09-08-2008, 09:53 PM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by riley6
Jeff,
I have done EVERYTHING with Dougherty and honestly, wouldnt go anywhere else. Just tell Bill that Drew sent you and youll be taken care of superbly as Jeff (JCBmemphis) was and will continue to be.

Jeff, no matter what, they will fix the problem for you if you cant yourself. It will be nice to see you sometime. Are you doing to the Pocono MAW event?

-Drew

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Did a search...P1109 without any PSM/ABS lights...MAF?