996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

K24 vs K16 - percieved lag difference ???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 07:03 AM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Prche951
Nope no argument there. No one ever said that the K24 could not produce more power at the top end. Everything else being equal it will. But you do not live at the top end of an rpm range and most of your driving will be in the mid range. So in the end the K16 has more driveability and more torque in the low ranges and less power at the top end and less lag. The power with a K16 comes on smooth, there is no all of a suden surge like you feel with the K24. So you can continue to believe there is no lag difference when there conclusively is.

How eloquently put is that?

Fair enough. not gonna argue with that. I know that with all these small turbos, lag is not really an issue with ME. If I am in the mood to rip, I am in the right gear and that helps. I'm used to much bigger turbos. I'm sure you know but go drive a 930 with a K27 or K29 on it or a Supra with a T88!! Thats lag. All this arguement about lag, like people are going from K16's to T88'S! My 24/18g's are almost done, so I'll be able to see the difference from 16's to 18g's on my own car. I have dynos for baseline, mufflers and then flash/mufflers. Now I can add the 18g's and see and feel the difference for myself. My decision for doing the 18g's was basically this forum and the overwhelming positive feedback for this turbo as an all around go fast street turbo. This is the bottom line, (for me, that is...) I PERSONALLY am a highway guy and I know that a K16, no matter what configuration, runs out of turbo on the top...not the turbo for me. If you are a street guy and like to rip from light to light, it seems the 16G is the perfect turbo, No doubt. I spent a lot of time and money doing a flash and mufflers and when all was said and done I was not really happy, because of the turbo thing. Sure it ran better but I shoulda done 18G's from the start. Personal preference thats all.

Old 09-22-2008, 08:10 AM
John D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to behold
I will agree there is a lag difference from a stock K16 to larger turbos or K16 hybrids, as I noticed slight increased lag when I went to K16/24's. As far as K16/24 to K24/18G, I have not noticed any difference - they feel very similar to me.

Old 09-22-2008, 08:38 AM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
At what RPM did you guys notice a loss in power difference between the K16 and the K24, In other words where does the power trail off?

I do remember the 930 and how much lag it had. A friend of hte family had a brand new one in 78 and I remember the rush when the turbo kicked in.

Old 09-22-2008, 09:21 AM
996Choy has much to be proud of996Choy has much to be proud of996Choy has much to be proud of996Choy has much to be proud of996Choy has much to be proud of996Choy has much to be proud of996Choy has much to be proud of996Choy has much to be proud of996Choy has much to be proud of
would you feel more lag if you do K24/18g but not do fuel?

Old 09-22-2008, 10:24 AM
dreamtripper will become famous soon enough
Aren't K24s strong from the mid-range onwards and not just at top of the range? The reference to just top end power makes it sound like you have to be over 6000rpm to get the power out of them.

Nope no argument there. No one ever said that the K24 could not produce more power at the top end. Everything else being equal it will. But you do not live at the top end of an rpm range and most of your driving will be in the mid range. So in the end the K16 has more driveability and more torque in the low ranges and less power at the top end and less lag. The power with a K16 comes on smooth, there is no all of a suden surge like you feel with the K24. So you can continue to believe there is no lag difference when there conclusively is.

How eloquently put is that?

Old 09-22-2008, 10:32 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Seems like going in circle here because everyone has different experiences depending on several factors:

#1 Flash vs non Flash K16 or K24 or hybrid
#2 Type of flash - we've seen all kinds of results depending on who flashed it
#3 Additional mods (wastegates, DV's, exhaust,fuel system, intake) which can all make a big difference, IMO the comparisons are useless without isolating the desired variable so all the additional mods have to be listed.
#4 Driver shifting skill
#5 Testing conditions.

I've driven a stock TT, an Orton Flashed K16 car, Orton K24/exhaust car (mine) and a Orton 700+ hp car with hybrids.

IMO the K16 car was too slow to even be compared with mine, maybe my exhaust helped a lot, but I didnt have DVs yet and the K24 car was WAYYYY faster, though maybe a split second slower in boost kicking in which may be the result of the K16 car jumping a rolling start, but no way 2 carlengths.

The K16 car is still fast, but doesnt have the top end of the K24 car, and it doesnt take 150 mph to realize the difference, there is a huge difference in torque as well. Of course unless we have scientific data, it's still butt dynos and roll races which are hardly all that consistent or accurate.

But in terms of reference speed, my car ran toe to toe with a 475 rwhp Z06 and even pulled a little bit in 3rd and 4th. Prior to DV's which got me a lot of power.

Old 09-22-2008, 10:52 AM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by heavychevy
Seems like going in circle here because everyone has different experiences depending on several factors:

#1 Flash vs non Flash K16 or K24 or hybrid
#2 Type of flash - we've seen all kinds of results depending on who flashed it
#3 Additional mods (wastegates, DV's, exhaust,fuel system, intake) which can all make a big difference, IMO the comparisons are useless without isolating the desired variable so all the additional mods have to be listed.
#4 Driver shifting skill
#5 Testing conditions.

I've driven a stock TT, an Orton Flashed K16 car, Orton K24/exhaust car (mine) and a Orton 700+ hp car with hybrids.

IMO the K16 car was too slow to even be compared with mine, maybe my exhaust helped a lot, but I didnt have DVs yet and the K24 car was WAYYYY faster, though maybe a split second slower in boost kicking in which may be the result of the K16 car jumping a rolling start, but no way 2 carlengths.

The K16 car is still fast, but doesnt have the top end of the K24 car, and it doesnt take 150 mph to realize the difference, there is a huge difference in torque as well. Of course unless we have scientific data, it's still butt dynos and roll races which are hardly all that consistent or accurate.

But in terms of reference speed, my car ran toe to toe with a 475 rwhp Z06 and even pulled a little bit in 3rd and 4th. Prior to DV's which got me a lot of power.

Heavy is right, in that we are not actually comparing apples to apples. It's very likely a K16 car with mufflers, DV's, intake etc,etc will perform exceptionally better than say, a stock K24 car. So it seems to me that on these cars (and most cars) the additional mods have a significant impact on turbo performance.

Old 09-22-2008, 11:04 AM
John D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to behold
I agree -

In summary, Is there additional lag from a base K16? Yes, a little

is it a big deal? IMO, no the car drives very similar, but with more mid and upper power. If you are driving at 4000 RPM's and you hit the gas hard, the car leaps.... And it pulls so much harder.

So it comes down to do you want a little quicker spool and less power or slightly slower spool and a lot more power. IMO, the amount of addtional lag is very minimal.

In answer to dreamtripper, the k24 based turbos hit very hard in the low to mid 4000 RPM range and onward. It's definitely not a 6,000 RPM thing.

BTW - we are currently dynoing my car with our new SpeedTech 70 to 75mm intake system and the Vivid dual snorkel air box, on a cooler day. With pump gas, spool-up is 350 RPM's sooner and HP is up about 20-25HP, as compared to the 100 degree dyno posted above. I'll post a dyno once we're done tuning, probably later tonight.

Last edited by John D; 09-22-2008 at 11:39 AM.
Old 09-22-2008, 12:12 PM
Szpet has much to be proud ofSzpet has much to be proud ofSzpet has much to be proud ofSzpet has much to be proud ofSzpet has much to be proud ofSzpet has much to be proud ofSzpet has much to be proud ofSzpet has much to be proud ofSzpet has much to be proud ofSzpet has much to be proud of
Here is a racevideo between a upgraded (ECU and exhaust) 996 K16 vs 996 K24 without mods.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-V0DX_TKxU

Old 09-22-2008, 11:47 PM
Here is a dyno of stock k16's vs. K24/18's. These were done on the same dyno, at the same temperature, but on different days. It shows the lag difference up to about 3400 RPM's, where the 24/18's take over.

Old 09-23-2008, 05:03 AM
Originally Posted by John D
Here is a dyno of stock k16's vs. K24/18's. These were done on the same dyno, at the same temperature, but on different days. It shows the lag difference up to about 3400 RPM's, where the 24/18's take over.

I wonder if we can get Tony to post this scenario with a stock k16 vs. a 16G? It seems that everyone wants to see this sheet compared to that one? IMO the little bit of lag is insignificant based on the "area under the curve".

Old 09-23-2008, 05:57 AM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
that dyno sheet doesn't say much, your comparing a totally stock k16 to a modded turbo, of course a modded turbo should spin better. Too bad that sheet did not show stock to stock comparison, that would have been appropo. or K16/24g to K24/18g would have been good....do you have one of those, since you previously did have the modded k16's...

Old 09-23-2008, 08:09 AM
Seal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to behold
that dyno sheet doesn't say much
It shows that compared to a bone stock K16 car (no chip, no nothing), which everyone is familiar with (and few regard as "laggy"), there is little additional lag on a full blown K24/18g setup. I think that says alot actually.

K16/24g to K24/18g would have been good....do you have one of those, since you previously did have the modded k16's...
There is no such thing as a K16/24g. The K prefix refers to a series of turbos made by Borg Warner (KKK). The g suffix designates a mitsubishi series turbo. Popular hybrids include using a K24 (borg) compressor with a K16 (borg) turbine or a 16g (mitsu) compressor with a K16 (borg warner) turbine. What we are dealing with here is a K24 (borg) frame turbo with a Mitsu 18g compressor wheel machined in.

Old 09-23-2008, 12:55 PM
boca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really nice
would the same turbo's apply for a tiptronic ? or is that a different animal?

Old 09-23-2008, 01:27 PM
David9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond repute
www.ngtmotorsport.com has a few used sets of used K24's, I might get a set.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: K24 vs K16 - percieved lag difference ???