996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

K24 vs K16 - percieved lag difference ???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 03:07 PM
John H. has a spectacular aura aboutJohn H. has a spectacular aura aboutJohn H. has a spectacular aura about
Everyone seems to only be comparing K24/18gs to K16/24s. I thought the K16/16g was the best setup for K16 hybrids? How does the K16/16g compare?

Which is the better choice if keeping stock fuel with a 5 Bar FPR? It seems the K24/18g wouldn't be used to it's potential w/o larger injectors. Injectors seem like such a PITA to do. Plus I have to limit myself somewhere.

Also, this hasn't been discussed here, but how does an electronic boost controller play a role with this? Quicker boost response? Would I want one on a 5BAR FPR fuel setup with K16/16g or K24/18g setup?

JH

Old 09-23-2008, 04:19 PM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Seal Grey Matte
It shows that compared to a bone stock K16 car (no chip, no nothing), which everyone is familiar with (and few regard as "laggy"), there is little additional lag on a full blown K24/18g setup. I think that says alot actually.
Disagreed here, for the power level that K24 moded has the curve should have been shifter even more.. I was accused of comparing apples to oranges when using two modded turbos to show how they compare and the difference in low end power and torque was substantial and in favor of the K16. Unfortunatelly the K16 dyno sheet has disappeared from my post, which is quite interesting and I hope I did not step on that persons toes when I posted their dyno sheet....But fret not theres more to come, take a look below and see how a K16 hybrid does...

I like how the K16/hybrid dyno sheet has disappeared from my post. That dyno compared to the K24/18G said a lot and it showed how two modded turbos work which is much more apples to apples than the dyno above.

So here is a modded K16 UMW hybrid turbo with full race file from UMW and I apologize to Kevin at UMW if he did not want me pilfering his data.

compare that to JohnD's K24/18G on race fuel

look at the difference in power and how soon it comes on. A lowly K16 hybrid versus the K24 hybrid BOTH on race GAS.

at 3100 rpm the K16 hybrid was yanking 480+ ft-lbs of torque, the K24 hybrid was at 325. The K16 was producing 328 at 2000 rpm....

Old 09-23-2008, 04:36 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Prche951
Disagreed here, for the power level that K24 moded has the curve should have been shifter even more.. I was accused of comparing apples to oranges when using two modded turbos to show how they compare and the difference in low end power and torque was substantial and in favor of the K16. Unfortunatelly the K16 dyno sheet has disappeared from my post, which is quite interesting and I hope I did not step on that persons toes when I posted their dyno sheet....But fret not theres more to come, take a look below and see how a K16 hybrid does...
Look,
if doesnt matter what you post... it still is a different car with a different set up... any tuner can crank up the timing to make a turbo spool up faster... ( not saying anyone did)...
my point is that someone else will come and show you a K(whatever) turbo beat down a K16 or whatever else...
the only way to really compare is to have one tuner do all the testing with all other things being equal... thats the only way you can really tell about the characterisitics one of turbo to another.
Thats like having one driver run 2 different cars at the same track vs. two different drivers in respective cars... One is always going to be a faster driver...

markski

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 09-23-2008, 04:55 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MARKSKI
Look,
if doesnt matter what you post... it still is a different car with a different set up... any tuner can crank up the timing to make a turbo spool up faster... ( not saying anyone did)...
my point is that someone else will come and show you a K(whatever) turbo beat down a K16 or whatever else...
the only way to really compare is to have one tuner do all the testing with all other things being equal... thats the only way you can really tell about the characterisitics one of turbo to another.
Thats like having one driver run 2 different cars at the same track vs. two different drivers in respective cars... One is always going to be a faster driver...

markski
That was kinda my point a few pages back when John posted. It seems most people who HAD K16's feel they are now FASTER with K24's, dyno sheets aside. John did say that he thought the K16 was quicker light to light, but he has proven beyond a reasonable doubt IN HIS CAR that the K24 hybrids are faster at the track and likely on the street. Not really sure what the OP's question really was, but if he takes a ride in a K16 hybrid car and a K24 hybrid car, he will have his answer, for the most part.

Old 09-23-2008, 06:32 PM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ttboost
That was kinda my point a few pages back when John posted. It seems most people who HAD K16's feel they are now FASTER with K24's, dyno sheets aside. John did say that he thought the K16 was quicker light to light, but he has proven beyond a reasonable doubt IN HIS CAR that the K24 hybrids are faster at the track and likely on the street. Not really sure what the OP's question really was, but if he takes a ride in a K16 hybrid car and a K24 hybrid car, he will have his answer, for the most part.
so your saying that the K24 hybrid above is still faster than the K16 hybrid in the curve I posted above?? So a turbo producing less torque throughout it's entire range, less power as well and not having as broad a curve is going to be faster? I think we can all safely say that is not the case here. The K16 hybrid above absolutely demolishes the K24 hybrid numbers and that is an undeniable fact. I just wanted to show that when your talking hybrids, the rule that you run out of juice on the high end with a K16 is a fallacy and it is proven above.

Old 09-23-2008, 07:05 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
so your saying that the K24 hybrid above is still faster than the K16 hybrid in the curve I posted above?? So a turbo producing less torque throughout it's entire range, less power as well and not having as broad a curve is going to be faster? I think we can all safely say that is not the case here. The K16 hybrid above absolutely demolishes the K24 hybrid numbers and that is an undeniable fact. I just wanted to show that when your talking hybrids, the rule that you run out of juice on the high end with a K16 is a fallacy and it is proven above.

No I'm not saying that. You quoted my post, but I don't think you read it. A dyno sheet means nothing, and by that I mean what Markski said a few pages ago...ALL THINGS BEING EQUAL.
This thread is about lag not how much power which turbo makes. The OP had it right in his first post. Also, are you trying to say that these "magic" K16's are making 640whp with 1.25 bar as John's 18G's, if not, this is yet again another useless "arguement".

Old 09-23-2008, 07:24 PM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
If you are trying to argue that a hybrid K16/24 with a race file will outperform a set of K24/18G turbos with fuel, intake, race fuel, etc. (as my car is configured for the dyno above), you are wrong. If you ever drove one with race fuel and high boost, you would understand why. KPG had a UMW K16/24 tune with race file and he tried numerous 1/4 mile runs, even went back with drag radials and could barely crack 11.6 with a 122 trap in the 1/4 mile and ran a 128MPH trap tops with a slower ET. Kevin is not a newcomer to 1/4 mile runs either, so he is not a novice driver. We were both trying to get down to 11.2 - 11.4 on hybrid K16/24's and neither of us could do it with numerous tries on more than one day. The first pass I made with my K24/18G's was 11.2 at 132, second 11.1, third 11.0 all with traps well into the 130's.

Is that a 2wd dyno? or maybe an optimistic dyno? or something other than K16/24's? The EPL numbers are Mustang AWHP.

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos

Last edited by John@SpeedTech; 09-23-2008 at 07:44 PM.
Old 09-23-2008, 07:40 PM
Seal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to behold
I would not be surprised (in fact I'd bet on it) that my K16/GT2 hybrids with ZC will outperform a K24/18-20G. I have the low end grunt and the top end.
I'll take that action. What are the terms of the bet?

Old 09-23-2008, 08:35 PM
Originally Posted by Seal Grey Matte
I'll take that action. What are the terms of the bet?
Bandimere raceway in Denver. Come on over, bring your car with stock injectors/pump (like mine) and we race on pump gas, to show reality on the street....Bottle of Johnny Walker Blue to the winner.

Old 09-23-2008, 08:40 PM
Onetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant future
Hopefully someone in Colorado with 24/18s can meet you there. I'd love to see this happen.

Old 09-23-2008, 08:49 PM
Dock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really nice
Originally Posted by John@SpeedTech
KPG had a UMW K16/24 tune with race file and he tried numerous 1/4 mile runs, even went back with drag radials and could barely crack 11.6 with a 122 trap in the 1/4 mile and ran a 128MPH trap tops with a slower ET.
I can't remember...was KPG running a full Stage 3 on race gas when he posted those numbers?

Old 09-23-2008, 09:00 PM
KPG
KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Dock (Atlanta)
I can't remember...was KPG running a full Stage 3 on race gas when he posted those numbers?
No sir. John claimed it was a race gas file,but that is not correct. Stg2 ZC turbos, miltek exhaust, stock FPR,ported stock headers, pump gas file with Sunoco 94 with 4 gals of 100 thrown in, full weight AWD. That is all....

Old 09-23-2008, 09:00 PM
Dock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really nice
I just checked KPG's dyno from the car that posted the quarter mile times/speeds you posted, and it showed peak torque of 565 and peak horsepower of 510 on race gas (AWD dyno). The Stage 3 K16/Hybrid dyno posted above shows about 600 lb-ft of torque and 640 hp (I assume it was on an AWD dyno).

Old 09-23-2008, 09:02 PM
Originally Posted by KPG
No sir. John claimed it was a race gas file,but that is not correct. Stg2 ZC turbos, miltek exhaust, stock FPR,ported stock headers, pump gas file with Sunoco 94 with 4 gals of 100 thrown in, full weight AWD. That is all....
That's what I thought...looked it up while you were posting the clarification.

Old 09-23-2008, 09:03 PM
KPG
KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !
I just checked KPG's dyno from the car that posted the quarter mile times/speeds you posted, and it showed peak torque of 565 and peak horsepower of 510 on race gas (AWD dyno). The Stage 3 K16/Hybrid dyno posted above shows about 600 lb-ft of torque and 640 hp (I assume it was on an AWD dyno).
Dock, that dyno above is a RWD dyno.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: K24 vs K16 - percieved lag difference ???