996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Clutch feels weird, not smooth

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 05:47 PM
chucky0431 is on a distinguished road
Clutch feels weird, not smooth

Hi guys, I have an 04 996TT, 16500 miles on it now.

The clutch has been feeling weird lately. Whenever I press it, it doesn't have a smooth feeling to it, it feels lik there is a small vibration when, like there is air bubbles in the line or so. Don't know how to explain it, but it doesn't feel normal.
Anyone has experience or might know what this is?

Thank you,

Ricardo

Old 10-11-2008, 08:14 PM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
You should have it diagnosed. There are lots of parts to the clutch system. It could be as simple as a bad clutch, or accumilator or even air in the system. But it could also be master, slave cyl exc. Once it's engaged does it hold well?

Old 10-11-2008, 10:19 PM
Toothzilla is just really niceToothzilla is just really niceToothzilla is just really niceToothzilla is just really niceToothzilla is just really nice
That's how mine started, now it's gotten harder to push in. I'm taking it to Sharkwerks next month. I'm assuming it's the slave/accumulator problem.

Old 10-12-2008, 12:18 AM
Yeah when it holds it holds hard with no problem, its just that the engaging has that weird feeling to it, and when disengaging, guess that's how you spell it, from 1 to 2, it does it really ruf.

Old 10-12-2008, 06:04 AM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
It's the slave cylinder.

We just replaced Sean996's yesterday.

Pump up the pedal with the ignition off... If the pedal gets rock hard at about pump 26-27, your slave is shot... It'll only get worse...

By the way, we did his in my shop in about 3 hours. Most dealerships will want to charge you about $1400 to do the work, and the slave costs about $230 thru Suncoast. You'll also need about 1 container of Pentosin, and be mindfull not to spill any of the "old stuff" on any of the rubber water lines.. Pentosin eats rubber and is flamable if you get it near the exhaust/turbos/cats...

They will tell you that you have to remove axles/starter/other stuff, but I showed Chris/Sean how to do it without removing ANY of that stuff, and with us BSing, I was able to knock it out in 3 hours... Could probably do it in 2 hours...

A good Indy shop will do this for you for the cost of parts and about 3-4 hours labor.

Mike

Last edited by Mikelly; 10-12-2008 at 06:06 AM.
Old 10-12-2008, 02:39 PM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
Old 10-12-2008, 05:20 PM
QUIK 911 is a splendid one to beholdQUIK 911 is a splendid one to beholdQUIK 911 is a splendid one to beholdQUIK 911 is a splendid one to beholdQUIK 911 is a splendid one to beholdQUIK 911 is a splendid one to beholdQUIK 911 is a splendid one to behold
Check with the dealer, might still be covered under warrenty. Had the same problem on my 996 tt and dealer fix it no charge.

Old 10-12-2008, 11:20 PM
Mikelly thx for the info, I will do the pumping tomorrow and see what it does.

Don't have warranty on my car anymore, so I'll check with the dealer on a price estimate and then with some local shops here and see which one will hurt my pocket less. Will keep you guys up to date.

Ricardo

Old 10-13-2008, 09:53 AM
OCTurbo is on a distinguished road
my clutch is very hard to push in on initial start up, then it's fine after that. i assumed it was the accumulator. how do i know if the slave is also going bad?
will i need to eventually replace the accumulator (will it become hard to push in the clutch during normal driving)?
thanks

Old 10-14-2008, 09:38 AM
Acropora has a spectacular aura aboutAcropora has a spectacular aura about
I can't believe the dealership would charge 14 hours for something that takes 3 hours. Freaking ridiculous.

Old 10-14-2008, 09:49 AM
SXN
SXN is a splendid one to beholdSXN is a splendid one to beholdSXN is a splendid one to beholdSXN is a splendid one to beholdSXN is a splendid one to beholdSXN is a splendid one to beholdSXN is a splendid one to behold
It's your accumulator. Very easy to do.. just hard to get to because it's so tight in there.

Old 10-14-2008, 10:18 AM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
Just tip on removing that sucker...

We used a ziplock feezer bag placed over the accumilator to stave off any fluid getting on the water lines.

It worked like a charm!

Mike

Old 10-14-2008, 03:20 PM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
Wrench needed is 22 MM. I purchase a cheap one and cut it to 17 inches in lenght. Shave the open end to .250 (1/4 on an inch) and slighly bend also the open end to about 20 degrees. It work fine for me.

Old 10-14-2008, 03:53 PM
Actually it depends on if it's the older or newer unit.. If it's the newer unit you'll need a 27MM wrench.

Mike

Old 10-15-2008, 03:16 PM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
Via this site, back in May on my first go around with the slave, I got many a PM from people and searched...John D and PorschePhD outlined the GT2 upgrade.

I decided to go the 65% cost route and get the slave and accumulator. Well, with it happening again, I have decided to got the GT2 conversion route and will report back. The guru (Steve) feels it will feel like a GT3. I have only driven a gt3 once...and I liked it a lot, but that was a while back. If this solves the problem for good it will be worth every penny. It is about 2x as many pennies....

Anyway, if you have a slave cylinder issue, this is a good option, especially if you push the car or have a desire to have a better clutch "feel" from what I have been told.

John D posted a bunch (thanks John) on this. His posts and Steven are my driving force on this subject.

BTW, since Steven was super nice to me via PM in my prior problem time with the slave, I gave him the business for the kit. He is super cool on the phone, fwiw, and is a site sponsor.... it goes in about 4 weeks....then I'll report back. (my issue is just now starting....this is a slow death issue....at least it was last time)

JB

Last edited by jcb-memphis; 10-15-2008 at 03:19 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Clutch feels weird, not smooth