996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

front license plate removal ??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-24-2004, 11:01 AM
neil.schneider has a spectacular aura aboutneil.schneider has a spectacular aura about
front license plate removal ??

How is it that people that live in a state that require 2 plates get away with only putting on the rear one? C'mon let me in on the secret.... please. I hate the front plate. That should be the motto/chant in NJ.

Old 08-24-2004, 12:41 PM
Former Vendor
Eric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond repute
Neil - email me: I AM the plug guy ya know.

eric@bumperplugs.com

Old 08-24-2004, 05:09 PM
ruffinit is a splendid one to beholdruffinit is a splendid one to beholdruffinit is a splendid one to beholdruffinit is a splendid one to beholdruffinit is a splendid one to beholdruffinit is a splendid one to beholdruffinit is a splendid one to beholdruffinit is a splendid one to behold
Well, I'm in Illinois and they have that law too. Front plates are damn ugly, and I don't have them on any of the cars. But I came up with this 'brilliant' idea on the whole front plate thing. What I do is put two powerful magnets on the inside of my front bumper and two on a front license plate(not necessarily on the vehicle). So when I get pulled over, I usually give the poilce officer the usual speal about how it has been stolen what not. But then if I need to take a picture of the car with a front license plate on then I can just magnitize it to the front bumper take my picture and go to the courthouse(if must appearnce) or take the car with the front license plate on, or mail them a copy of the picture. Also with this, you can drive with your front license plate on whenever you feel necessary and take it off at night so it looks bad *** again, with no holes or signs of having a front license plate! I usually keep mine all off though! I'm sure someone else has come up with this idea, but I thought I would pass it on! Hopes this helps!

Old 08-24-2004, 06:39 PM
Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !
In Virginia we also have the stupid two plates law. But it is legal to keep one tag on the front dash. So I keep mine under the front seat and if I get pulled over I quickly put it up on the dash and back to legal. I have yet to get a ticket with this method.

Old 08-24-2004, 09:31 PM
Rob in Potomac
Robert in Potom is an unknown quantity at this point
I live in Maryland and do the same thing. When I park on the street, I just put the plate on the front dash (most of the time, if I remember). As to the front end, the '04 tt comes with plugs in body color, so we just inserted those and the front end looks pristine. Now, all I have to do is get the 3M film applied to the front end (nest week) and I will be set - for a while at least.

Old 08-24-2004, 10:45 PM
Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !
You'll love the film and Dave at California Tint does a lot of the Mini's. Beat him down on a package for both cars.

Old 08-24-2004, 11:30 PM
Banned
Chordate is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by Robert in Potom
I live in Maryland and do the same thing. When I park on the street, I just put the plate on the front dash (most of the time, if I remember). As to the front end, the '04 tt comes with plugs in body color, so we just inserted those and the front end looks pristine. Now, all I have to do is get the 3M film applied to the front end (nest week) and I will be set - for a while at least.
That would not work here, as they actually have check points, (I have went though two so far) and all they are checking for is front plates, updated registration and so on... and the catch you from the front right after a turn, and they would know if you put the plate on the windsheald...

Old 08-24-2004, 11:43 PM
rockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond repute
Not sure putting a plate on the front windshield in NY qualifies for the front plate law...What's everyones interpretation of the following NY law???

VAT, Title 4, Article 14 states:

§ 402. Distinctive number; form of number plates; trailers.
1. No person shall operate, drive or park a motor vehicle on the public highways of this state unless such vehicle shall have a distinctive number assigned to it by the commissioner and a set of number plates issued by the commissioner with a number and other identification matter if any, corresponding to that of the certificate of registration conspicuously displayed, one on the front and one on the rear of such
vehicle, each securely fastened so as to prevent the same from swinging and placed, whenever reasonably possible, not higher than forty-eight inches and not lower than twelve inches from the ground; provided, however, that in any registration year for which only one number plate is issued, such number plate shall constitute a set of number plates for the time in which such use is authorized, shall be displayed on the rear of the vehicle and none shall be displayed on its front, except in case of a tractor, when such number plate shall be displayed on the front of the vehicle and none shall be displayed on its rear. Number plates shall be kept clean and in a condition so as to be easily readable and shall not be covered by glass or any plastic material, and the view thereof shall not be obstructed by any part of the vehicle or by anything carried thereon, except for a receiver-transmitter issued by a publicly owned tolling facility in connection with electronic toll collection when such receiver-transmitter is affixed to the exterior of a vehicle in accordance with mounting instructions provided by the tolling
facility.

Last edited by rockitman; 08-24-2004 at 11:45 PM.
Old 08-25-2004, 12:27 AM
Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !
The holes in the front bumper (capped with Eric's bumper plugs) do not match up with standard holes on a license plate. Therefore, I drilled holes in my front plate matching the front bumper holes. I also put a strip of cloth behind the top of the front plate, where it meets the bumper when attached. Then, if I get a ticket for no front plate, I remove my bumper plugs, attach my front plate using an extra set of bumper plugs (thank you Eric), drive to the local CHP and get the ticket "signed off," drive a block away, remove the front plate and reinstall the original bumper plugs. Works like a charm.

Craig

Old 08-25-2004, 12:50 AM
Banned
Originally posted by rockitman
Not sure putting a plate on the front windshield in NY qualifies for the front plate law...What's everyones interpretation of the following NY law???

VAT, Title 4, Article 14 states:

§ 402. Distinctive number; form of number plates; trailers.
1. No person shall operate, drive or park a motor vehicle on the public highways of this state unless such vehicle shall have a distinctive number assigned to it by the commissioner and a set of number plates issued by the commissioner with a number and other identification matter if any, corresponding to that of the certificate of registration conspicuously displayed, one on the front and one on the rear of such
vehicle, each securely fastened so as to prevent the same from swinging and placed, whenever reasonably possible, not higher than forty-eight inches and not lower than twelve inches from the ground; provided, however, that in any registration year for which only one number plate is issued, such number plate shall constitute a set of number plates for the time in which such use is authorized, shall be displayed on the rear of the vehicle and none shall be displayed on its front, except in case of a tractor, when such number plate shall be displayed on the front of the vehicle and none shall be displayed on its rear. Number plates shall be kept clean and in a condition so as to be easily readable and shall not be covered by glass or any plastic material, and the view thereof shall not be obstructed by any part of the vehicle or by anything carried thereon, except for a receiver-transmitter issued by a publicly owned tolling facility in connection with electronic toll collection when such receiver-transmitter is affixed to the exterior of a vehicle in accordance with mounting instructions provided by the tolling
facility.
I dont think it works for us, because
1) It needs to be securly fastend
2) It cant be more than 48 inces from the ground
3) It cant be covered by glass

Old 08-25-2004, 01:39 AM
rockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by mehrabani1
I dont think it works for us, because
1) It needs to be securly fastend
2) It cant be more than 48 inces from the ground
3) It cant be covered by glass
I agree, the windshield is a problem...Bastard law writers!!!!

Old 08-25-2004, 01:54 AM
Banned
Tell me about it... the worst thing is that they have these checkpoints as I have said earlier, and if you have one thing wrong, they give you a ticket...

Old 08-25-2004, 01:57 AM
I have my front plate integrated onto my speedlingerie...When the bra comes off, so does the plate. No unscrewing necessary...

Old 08-25-2004, 08:20 PM
Rob in Potomac
Robert in Potom is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by Gunther
You'll love the film and Dave at California Tint does a lot of the Mini's. Beat him down on a package for both cars.
Gunther, I had not really thought about the Mini, good idea. I think I am going to use ProForm Protective Film Technologies (Skip Vachon). I saw his work on a 360 Modena and spoke with someone who had him do his twin turbo.

Thanks.

Old 08-25-2004, 11:39 PM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
I had about a dozen no front plate tickets. But it's only a $10 fix it ticket and I can't stand the look of it so I'd put it on drive and get it signed off and then take it back off.

I still don't have one on and haven't gotten a ticket for it in about 2 years. Most of the times I was ticketed for it, I came out on top because I was usually pulled over for more drastic issues.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: front license plate removal ??