996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.
View Poll Results: 996 turbo or C6 Z06: Which is better overall sports car/daily driver?
996 turbo: There is no substitute
76.92%
C6 Z06: There is substitute for cubic inches
23.08%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

996 turbo vs C6 Z06: Which is the better overall sports car?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 09:33 AM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by heavychevy
HAHA, your car is at MTI? Let me know when you get in town. I want to see that bad boy.
Ya man...it's there right now. You can go take a look at it anytime over the next 6 months since it'll be there until I get home from deployment. But I'll definitely give you head's up if I decide to fly down and pick it up.

Your car wont end up looking like his, as will no one elses, he's been developing that thing for almost 4 years now. They took a few hundred lbs out and you'd never know by looking at it
That's good....I definitely don't my want my car to look like his. Heck, if I could get away with using the stock hood, I'd do so. All I want is my car to look like an otherwise stock Z06 that's been lowered on some nice wheels (just like my Avatar) .

I asked him a short time ago if he was going to get a ZR-1, I guess the new SC pretty much settles that. I'm sure your car will turn out great though.
Ya, I think it'll be an animal when all is said and done. The ZR1 seems like a great car, but I think my car when complete will satisfy any itch I may have to get one.

The Z will probably be my only 'fun' car for a year to two until I decide it's time to get into a another Porsche.

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 10-16-2008 at 10:06 AM.
Old 10-16-2008, 09:36 AM
OCTurbo is on a distinguished road
Like so many others, i always dreamed of owning a 911 turbo, not a vette. Even when i was younger i chose an e 46 m3 over the c5 zo6.
a 996tt, even with light mods, such as an ecu, dv's and an exhaust is a pretty fast car (faster than 99% of cars on the road).
if you're primary goal is performance and tracking the car, go for the vette.
If you're looking for an all round car with styling, quality and performance, and you have the money for mantainance and repairs, go for the 996tt.

Old 10-16-2008, 10:04 AM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
I have owned a few corvettes. From a stock '80 vette, to an '87 Callaway,to a modified Procharged '89, to single turbo 98 C5. While every year corvette is better than the next, I am sure the new Z06 is nothing short of amazing, (no, I haven't driven one yet). You will have to pry my 996tt key from my cold dead hands!!! Maybe a z06 for a second car...

Old 10-16-2008, 11:29 AM
richardsjames44 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for all the feedback guys! The info is very helpful in my moment of indecision.

If I get the Z06, it will most likely be an 07, since they have 5 year powertrain warranties. I will most likely keep it stock and drive the heck out of it. I was originally intending to mod it, but I read on the various Vette forums that Chevrolet is voiding warranties on modded cars. I prefer not to take the chance.

If I get the 996tt, I will probably only mod it minimally with a tune, exhaust, coilovers and RWD conversion. I will just have to stay away from Z06's at stoplights. I do like the versatility of the backseat in the 996, but not a deal breaker either way.

My primary goals for my prospective sports car is to have a fast and fun car to drive on the weekends and occassionally on my daily commute. I will probably only attend 3 DE's a year, so it definitely will not be a track rat.

I mainly like to drive the local backroads occassionally and have fun in corners of suburbia. I also like to have the occassional roll on with friends in their cars.

Also, is there any reason to choose an 2002 over a 2001 996 turbo assuming the miles and condition are similar? The only thing I noticed is that the switches in the 01 are shiny black, solid spoke wheels and some have the ugly bumperettes.

Thanks!

Old 10-16-2008, 11:36 AM
stevengerard is on a distinguished road
I'm not expert but from what I know the 02 has a glove compartment, cup holders and much better radio. the 01 even with solid spokes is a lighter car

Old 10-16-2008, 09:47 PM
AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
Ya man...it's there right now. You can go take a look at it anytime over the next 6 months since it'll be there until I get home from deployment. But I'll definitely give you head's up if I decide to fly down and pick it up.

That's good....I definitely don't my want my car to look like his. Heck, if I could get away with using the stock hood, I'd do so. All I want is my car to look like an otherwise stock Z06 that's been lowered on some nice wheels (just like my Avatar) .

Ya, I think it'll be an animal when all is said and done. The ZR1 seems like a great car, but I think my car when complete will satisfy any itch I may have to get one.

The Z will probably be my only 'fun' car for a year to two until I decide it's time to get into a another Porsche.
Reese's car is NOT a street car. It is not a full blown race car but, it is much closer to track than street. Interior gutted, serious race seat, roll bar, I think even a removable steering wheel. There is no way you can drive that thing around town with the front spoiler. Sticks out way too far and way too low. I do know that he has a lot - I mean A LOT of track time on the 454 he took out. It seemed to hold up and the car is fast at the track. The car just doesn't look very stock anymore.

Scott - You will have a monster when they are done. I have put some hard miles on my MTI engine and it has run flawless.

Now as far as the question from the OP. I don't think you can go wrong with either car. Get the one that stirs your soul and enjoy. I currently own two Z06's. One that has been on the slipery slope to a track car - man is it a blast at the track. And the other a bone stock daily driver. I love the car - would recommend it to anyone. With that being said - I do see a GT3 RS or a GT2 sometime in my future.

Old 10-16-2008, 09:51 PM
AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by WOODTSTER
Heavy,

What lap times does MTI racing (Marietta), run in their track car?
Do they run it on the street and do you have any pics of it?
Eric's (Atomic's) car has really been stepped up for track duty and
he will have some superb track times next year.

MK
Marty - Don't give away my secrets - the car is bone stock.

Heavy - Are you going to VIR on 11/2 & 11/3. I am looking into to going. Probably an 80% chance at the moment.

Old 10-17-2008, 12:45 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by AtomicZ
Marty - Don't give away my secrets - the car is bone stock.

Heavy - Are you going to VIR on 11/2 & 11/3. I am looking into to going. Probably an 80% chance at the moment.

No chance for me to make that event, though would have loved to. There will be some folks from Atl there though. Manalex and some others I think.

Old 10-17-2008, 05:44 AM
Banned
Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mcar00
For the street the Turbo and for the track the Z06.
Agreed.

Old 10-17-2008, 06:41 AM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
Dez, Yup that's Jim's Red/white/Blue Zo6 that's now making 588WHP. They installed a new shortblock built to ALMS standards. That motor has a lot of one off LG parts that are only on his personal race cars, and now Jim's car. Jim's car was in Corvette Enthusiast November edition, but without the graphics...

Here are a few pics of it...

They installed LG's drop-spindles/coil overs/sway bars, upgraded to the Brembo 15inch rotor/caliper, installed a heavyduty diff/axles/carbon shaft/raceclutch, installed better coolers on the diff/tranny/motor, LGs header/exhaust, two different sets of wheels, a Cobra Halo style racing seat, rollbar, and a bunch of other stuff I'm sure I've forgotten, along with the exterior aero-mods...

Jim's cracked 2:01s at VIR's full course, but the car has so much more in it, and Jim has spent the bulk of his 3.5 years tracking in a GT3, so there's a learning curve he's still getting over... This thing is god awful fast...

Mike

Old 10-17-2008, 08:14 AM
Bluecuda is on a distinguished road
I currently own one of each, and I agree with most of the comments on here. Stock vs Stock, the Z06 owns in the performance category. On the flip side, I feel like the 996 is much more polished inside, if a bit dated... Now that I've mod'd my 996tt, it out performs the Z in just about every category, save one.

The single biggest complaint I have with the 996tt is the clutch. It absolutely blows goats. Can't stand it with a passion!!! I'm pretty sure it's the slave assist, but it never seems to engage and disengage in the same spot, and I have a hard time hitting it hard from a stop. Once I'm in 2nd, I don't have any issues, but getting going and into second can be a real pain in the butt. Never had an issue with any other car I've owned until I got the P-car. The car will definitely be going back to Tym Switzer's shop to get something done with it this winter.

Old 10-17-2008, 11:40 AM
rolfjahn is a splendid one to beholdrolfjahn is a splendid one to beholdrolfjahn is a splendid one to beholdrolfjahn is a splendid one to beholdrolfjahn is a splendid one to beholdrolfjahn is a splendid one to beholdrolfjahn is a splendid one to behold
I totally agree with the clutch engagement, time for the gt2 clutch conversion...

Old 10-17-2008, 11:47 AM
Originally Posted by Mikelly
Dez, Yup that's Jim's Red/white/Blue Zo6 that's now making 588WHP. They installed a new shortblock built to ALMS standards. That motor has a lot of one off LG parts that are only on his personal race cars, and now Jim's car. Jim's car was in Corvette Enthusiast November edition, but without the graphics...

Here are a few pics of it...

They installed LG's drop-spindles/coil overs/sway bars, upgraded to the Brembo 15inch rotor/caliper, installed a heavyduty diff/axles/carbon shaft/raceclutch, installed better coolers on the diff/tranny/motor, LGs header/exhaust, two different sets of wheels, a Cobra Halo style racing seat, rollbar, and a bunch of other stuff I'm sure I've forgotten, along with the exterior aero-mods...

Jim's cracked 2:01s at VIR's full course, but the car has so much more in it, and Jim has spent the bulk of his 3.5 years tracking in a GT3, so there's a learning curve he's still getting over... This thing is god awful fast...

Mike
Holy Smokes!!! He has more in mods than he paid for the car. That thing should be a serious track weapon.

Old 10-17-2008, 01:14 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
Yup, And it's the only way I'd personally build a Z06. This thing is a true one of a kind beast!

Mike

Originally Posted by AtomicZ
Holy Smokes!!! He has more in mods than he paid for the car. That thing should be a serious track weapon.

Old 10-17-2008, 01:35 PM
IamRobG is on a distinguished road
I was in the same boat as you were and in the end chose the Z06 and put an intake and exhaust for a little extra juice. I couldn't substitue the raw power and race car feel it had. The 996 was much more quiet and comfortable but I dont drive it every day. When i do it puts a smile on my face every time. Now if i had the money i'd get a 997TT. Thats a whole different story.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 996 turbo vs C6 Z06: Which is the better overall sports car?