996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.
View Poll Results: 996 turbo or C6 Z06: Which is better overall sports car/daily driver?
996 turbo: There is no substitute
76.92%
C6 Z06: There is substitute for cubic inches
23.08%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

996 turbo vs C6 Z06: Which is the better overall sports car?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 05:01 PM
richardsjames44 is on a distinguished road
996 turbo vs C6 Z06: Which is the better overall sports car?

Hey guys,

I am trying to decide which would be the better overall sports car. I am budgeting $50k, so I figure that will buy me a 2002 996 turbo or a 06-07 Z06.

I know the Z06 is clearly the faster car bone stock and probably just as fast as a 996tt with ecu and exhaust upgrades.

I much prefer RWD, which gives the nod to the Z06, but I figured I would disconnect the front driveline if I buy the 996tt. I have driven a friend's 07 z06 and it surely is a beast. The rear end gets a little twitchy on the throttle in corners, but then again, I consider this entertaining. I also like the fact that minor bolt ons on the Z06 can realize some substantial power gains at a reasonable price. I hate the seats in the Vette though.

Also, I don't like the cheap interior of the Z06, but I guess you have to make some concessions, when you consider you can buy a 500+ hp sports car for $45k that is only 2 years old.

Appearancewise, I think it is a toss up with the Vette looking much more aggressive especially in black, but the 996tt is slicker looking in my opinion.

Are both cars reliable over the long haul when slightly modded? I know this is a P-Car forum, but I feel the majority of the members are very open minded.

I plan to drive either car about 10,000 miles a year. Which one do you guys think is the better overall choice?

Thanks
James

Old 10-15-2008, 05:13 PM
BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !
Drive a good condition TT and you will pick the Porsche.

Old 10-15-2008, 06:08 PM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
This is like asking Michelle Obama who she would vote for...LOL.

Old 10-15-2008, 06:11 PM
mcar00 is a jewel in the roughmcar00 is a jewel in the roughmcar00 is a jewel in the rough
I've owned both. For the street the Turbo and for the track the Z06.

Old 10-15-2008, 06:18 PM
LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !
Scott (Diveextreme) has answered this question in another thread. Ill see if I can find it, it was a pretty informative post.

Old 10-15-2008, 06:27 PM
Onetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant future
Looks are purely subjective.

I imagine most people on this forum will say the TT is the better overall sportscar, just as most people on a Vette forum will say the Z06 is better overall. Some people, myself included, have always wanted a Porsche turbo. Some have always wanted a Corvette. There is no definitive answer when you are trying to decide which one is better overall. Better for what? track days? 2+2 seating? modding? resale value? ownership costs? Wow factor?

There are at least a dozen other factors you can throw in when determining which one is better. And not everyone will agree with the reasons you think are important when making that decision. Drive them both and the see which one works for you.

Old 10-15-2008, 06:31 PM
vbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant future
I had the same confusion a few days ago....now i am so close to buying my 996tt (friday). Basically i feel both are great cars , but for me personally i have always dreamt of a porsche and wanted one. Never really was a vette a very special car for me. So this time i am ignoring all the numbers ,performance /cost ratios etc ..and going with a turbo i always wanted.

Bottomline -I think you wont have any regrets with either car.

Old 10-15-2008, 07:14 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
the newer vette would be my choice, sorry guys, just trying to be honest.

would always go with the much newer car at the same performance, and the vette is a great car, I just would never have one.

Old 10-15-2008, 07:28 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
I’ve owned both, so I’ll share my personal thoughts.

Bottom line up front:

-From a purely performance perspective, the Z06 wins, hands down.

-From an overall perspective, the 996TT is the better car.

Performance:

The Z is lighter, faster, handles better and stops quicker. While the Z has a higher drag coefficient for more downforce, it also has much less frontal area thus making it a ‘slicker’ car at speed (needs less power to go fast).

A stock Z is MUCH faster than a stock 996TT. The car runs 10’s at 129+ mph with the right driver under the right conditions on the crappy run-flat tires. It also hits 7:40’s around the ‘ring with the right driver. It’ll also run 60-130 in high 7 seconds compared to 11’s for a stock 996TT.

Modability wise, with just bolt-ons, cam and tune…the Z will make 550-580 rwhp and run dead even with any 700 HP 996TT. It’s a freakin’ animal.

Now, the negatives are that when you start getting up in the higher HP levels…the Z needs more upgrades than the 996TT to keep it reliable. The stock tranny is just so-so, the rear diff and half-shafts are fairly prone to breakage during wheel-hop and the stock pistons are cast and thus not very reliable. Surprisingly though, the Z’s clutch is pretty stout in it’s stock form.

The 996TT on the other hand can make a lot of power and more importantly handle that power with very few aftermarket upgrades. The stock transmission and diffs are damn near bulletproof. The engine internals are damn near bulletproof. The only thing I think needs to be done on the 996 for those that launch hard (other than the clutch) is to swap out the rear axles. A plus with the 996 is that it can hook very well with fairly narrow but moderately sticky tires, while the Z really needs some large and very sticky meats out back to hook at high power levels. Also, it can remain very smooth with a lot of power, while a Z with a big cam can be a little rough and lopey (which some people actually prefer).

IRT price, even though you need to swap out more parts on the Z06, It’s still cheaper to modify a Z06 to 600 rwhp than a 996TT. Not forgetting the 996 still needs a proper aftermarket suspension and some weight reduction to adequately compete with a Z on stock suspension around a track.

Interior:

I believe the Z06 has a better looking interior, but the 996 uses better materials. The Z also has a great NAV system, a very impressive stock stereo and lots of useful high-tech gadgets. The P-car interior is a bit dated (not it’s fault) but again the materials are better overall. It was a significantly more expensive car when it was released and it shows it. IMO, the NAV and stereos in the 996 are only decent.

As a daily driver, the Z is outstanding it has tons of room and can easily get 30+ mpg on long drives. It’s smooth, rides softer than the 996 and is extremely comfortable.

Overall (I’ll leave looks out as I know they’re the most subjective of all car discussions):

Bone stock performance:
Z06 - A+
996TT - B

Modability ($$ not of major concern):
Z06 - B+
996TT - A

Interior/comfort:
Z - B+
996TT – B-

Build quality:
Z06 - B
996TT - A

Overall:
Z06 - A-
996TT – A

I hope that helps.

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 10-15-2008 at 07:31 PM.
Old 10-15-2008, 07:46 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
The Z06 is an astounding sports car in every sense of the word. Extremely high potential. And is much sexier IMO.

But

After driving a TT, modding it and it never missing a beat I cant convince myself to get a Z06, and I've been trying really hard. There are still some Z06's puking engine guts through the tailpipe. And the brakes are crap. I cant see myself leaving the peace of mind I've had in my Porsche. Because of how I drive, and like to mod, I dont want to increase my chances of having to buy a new motor, which I've built over and over again on a 427 in a C5.

But I will warn you, there is a lot more to making a TT RWD than what you listed in case you didnt know. Coilovers, Corner Balancing and LSD are the major things, but if you plan on tracking better be ready to add some serious front DF.

Honestly, an 05,06 viper coupe may be the best of both worlds, other than the calf-kabobs.

But from the two, I'd take a 996 TT, put about 7-8k in it, easily as fast as a Z06 with more piece of mind. Or just buy a modded one or Turbo S and cut that cost down (ECU flash, Coilovers, exhaust).

Old 10-15-2008, 07:56 PM
Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !
If you have to ask this question than you do not deserve the Porsche TT, no offense

Christian

Old 10-15-2008, 08:11 PM
Shark01 is just really niceShark01 is just really niceShark01 is just really niceShark01 is just really nice
Like all Corvettes (I've had 4) its very well engineered but built with a budget of about 50 cents......very cheap materials, cheap paint, etc.

Then, it looks just like the other 45,000 Corvettes built EACH YEAR. Compare that with 8,000 total 996TTs.

Then, you have to deal with Chevy dealers....yuck

Maybe I'm being a little snobbish.....but I'm used to better cars now.

Old 10-15-2008, 08:48 PM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
Agree with Scott's assessment,

If you have driven, ridden in or raced against the Z06 you would realize what an amazing achievment this is. Oh sure it is easy to nit pick some of its faults but this
(Z06) is absolutely amazing. Stock vs Stock it is no contest, the Z06 hands down.
Modded vs Modded it is just what you prefer (opinions). They now are very even in their intial outlay but mods still cost more on the Porsche. Some of us call it the P tax.
Good luck!

MK

Old 10-15-2008, 09:07 PM
Acropora has a spectacular aura aboutAcropora has a spectacular aura about
If you plan to track the car the Z06 is very quick. As you noticed however, the tt for many "fits" the driver better. If the glove don't fit, you must not buy it. (Johnny Cochran)

Old 10-15-2008, 09:10 PM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
^^ so true! ^^^ seating position alone is QUITE DIFFERENT, as is feel, but still...

MK

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 996 turbo vs C6 Z06: Which is the better overall sports car?