996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

OK Chad and Alex...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-27-2004, 12:35 AM
rockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond repute
Question OK Chad and Alex...

What's the poop on the lightweight dry cell Odyssey Batteries. I want to save a lot of weight over the lead acid stocker, but don't want the battery to go dead when it sits for 2 days.

Which Odyssey battery model do I want in order to save the most weight while at the same time being able to start the car on day 2 w/o having the battery on a charger...

Please give specifics on battery weight between the models...I assume S-Car-Go has an Odyssey mounting plate that can be put in my 996 w/o modification???

Thanks in advance for your valued advice...

http://www.odysseybatteries.com/specs.htm

Edit: Will the Porsche cigarette lighter battery maintainer work with keeping a full charge on an Odyssey battery???

Last edited by rockitman; 08-27-2004 at 12:41 AM.
Old 08-27-2004, 01:25 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Re: OK Chad and Alex...

Originally posted by rockitman
What's the poop on the lightweight dry cell Odyssey Batteries. I want to save a lot of weight over the lead acid stocker, but don't want the battery to go dead when it sits for 2 days.

Which Odyssey battery model do I want in order to save the most weight while at the same time being able to start the car on day 2 w/o having the battery on a charger...

Please give specifics on battery weight between the models...I assume S-Car-Go has an Odyssey mounting plate that can be put in my 996 w/o modification???

Thanks in advance for your valued advice...

http://www.odysseybatteries.com/specs.htm

Edit: Will the Porsche cigarette lighter battery maintainer work with keeping a full charge on an Odyssey battery???
Heya Rockit,

Well there are a few options here. First of all do you want the lightest battery out there? OK then you need to be prepared for the shortfulls. It's the oddessy 680 and weighs only 12.5 pounds, however if you do not start the car for three days the battery will go flat. The 960 is the next step up and is about 24 pounds. It's a much better battery and you don't need to worry about leaving the car idle... Right now we have a kit that's pictured on Fred's:

This battery is 22 pounds.

Old 08-27-2004, 01:44 AM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
OK rockitman, here is the lighest available shown with the S Car Go installation. It also shows an electrical shutoff switch. I use a $60. Griot battery maintainer with the provided clips that wire to the battery. Do not have to pull battery cover off. Just open hood and plug in. This battery will be dead in three days if you don't use the maintainer. With the maintainer no issues.

Last edited by cjv; 08-27-2004 at 01:53 AM.
Old 08-27-2004, 01:54 AM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !

Last edited by cjv; 08-27-2004 at 01:59 AM.
Old 08-27-2004, 01:54 AM
rockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for the response guys..

Alex: That battery in Fred's car does not appear to be an Odyssey and it looks like a lead acid type. Am I correct?
Can you maintain that one with the Porsche cigarette lighter mainatiner?

Chad:
I don't want the lightest, would like a little more crank power and charge reserve. Any thoughts on the 15lb model PC 680? Will the Porsche charger work? Thanks

Do you guys know what the stocker battery weighs????

Old 08-27-2004, 02:02 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !

Alex: That battery in Fred's car does not appear to be an Odyssey and it looks like a lead acid type. Am I correct?

Chad:
I don't want the lightest, would like a little more crank power and charge reserve. Any thoughts on the 15lb model PC 680? Will the Porsche charger work? Thanks

You are correct. The one in Fred's is actually a Miata battery. The one I use is the same as Chad's only my cuttoff is a $3 manual disconnect lol.. That's all I could afford

Old 08-27-2004, 02:03 AM
cjv

Chad:

rockitman,

Check the pics, that is the PC680. Anything else doesn't have sufficient power. Yes, the Porsche battery maintainer will work. I believe the stock battery weights 41 pounds.

Last edited by cjv; 08-27-2004 at 02:06 AM.
Old 08-27-2004, 02:21 AM
JakeMate is infamous around these parts
The Optima Red Top has a few more Cold Cranking Amps if I remember correctly. I just replaced my stock battery with one. It didn't feel any lighter. Maybe a few pounds.

Old 08-27-2004, 02:42 AM
Originally posted by JakeMate
The Optima Red Top has a few more Cold Cranking Amps if I remember correctly. I just replaced my stock battery with one. It didn't feel any lighter. Maybe a few pounds.
Yeah, I checked out the Optima's looked great until I felt the weight. Just about as heavy as the stock. Great replacement though if your not interested in weight.

I like the idea of the 15lb Odyssey 680...saves 25lbs, coupled with a CF hood and your looking at shaving 45lbs or so off in the front end....I like my Porsche's anorexic.

Old 08-27-2004, 02:45 AM
Originally posted by cjv
rockitman,

Check the pics, that is the PC680. Anything else doesn't have sufficient power. Yes, the Porsche battery maintainer will work. I believe the stock battery weights 41 pounds.
Chad,

Does S-Car-go have everything I need to mount the 680 in my 996 gt3 without major modification??? Who should I contact there about ordering a setup. Thanks.

I don't know about the Gt3. It might be the same. Give Rob a call.

Last edited by cjv; 08-27-2004 at 08:50 AM.
Old 08-27-2004, 04:02 AM
Alex,

PM me your phone number so we can talk soon about that diet CF hood. Thanks :-)

Old 08-27-2004, 05:25 AM
JRitt is infamous around these parts
I use that 680 battery in my 350Z without any problems. I've left the car for 5 or 6 days with the alarm armed without it dying on me. I'm not sure what the Turbo's power needs are vs. my car, but they're probably not too terribly different. ...just another data point.

Old 08-27-2004, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by JRitt@StopTech
I use that 680 battery in my 350Z without any problems. I've left the car for 5 or 6 days with the alarm armed without it dying on me. I'm not sure what the Turbo's power needs are vs. my car, but they're probably not too terribly different. ...just another data point.
That's good news. I don't even arm the alarm since it stays in the garage.

Old 08-27-2004, 02:39 PM
cjv
Yeah, I checked out the Optima's looked great until I felt the weight. Just about as heavy as the stock. Great replacement though if your not interested in weight.

I like the idea of the 15lb Odyssey 680...saves 25lbs, coupled with a CF hood and your looking at shaving 45lbs or so off in the front end....I like my Porsche's anorexic.
Let's see, the battery, carbon fiber hood, 5 mph bumper, spare tire ................... that's about 120 pounds.