996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Please Help: another PSM/ABS failure thread... (yes, I used search already)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 08:54 PM
flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !
Update:

So now I am really confused. Today I am on the freeway and cruising with no error codes after 250 miles of driving since the new harness was installed Friday. I come up to a Roush supercharged late model Mustang and get him to have a little fun. From about 75mph we both punch it, I am in 4th and shift into 5th and at about 4500 in 5th (yes, after I pulled on him) the car acts like it just shut off fuel, and then a couple seconds later everything is restored to normal. Car is still driving fine and cruising and no error codes... yet. About 5-10 seconds later the ABS/PSM warning comes back on. Hmmm.... so I cruise another 10 miles to my office and after I get off the freeway I test the car and do a little WOT run in 1st and 2nd and everything seems normal. I turn off and work for a few hours. Then I get back in the car to leave later and after about a 1/2 mile of normal low speed driving in town the Check Engine light comes on. WTF! The car is still running normal and I don't feel anything different than before.

My first thought is the MAF. Thoughts? Did that harness even have anything to do with my issues? Was that an unnecessary thing? Should I have replaced the MAF instead? Hell I dunno what the hell is going on here.....

Old 11-17-2008, 11:17 PM
art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !
After I installed the clutch I am getting it too now. I have the 1000HP MAF on my car so it is not MAF for me now. I have not had a chance to place the lap top and read the code while it is on. Will be in touch.

Old 11-17-2008, 11:20 PM
flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by art4iza
After I installed the clutch I am getting it too now. I have the 1000HP MAF on my car so it is not MAF for me now. I have not had a chance to place the lap top and read the code while it is on. Will be in touch.
Bummer, Art. Let us know what you find out..

Old 11-19-2008, 09:46 AM
imolafem is a jewel in the roughimolafem is a jewel in the roughimolafem is a jewel in the roughimolafem is a jewel in the rough
*Annoyed!*

So I called the Porsche dealer to see what the deal is, and they said, well, after replacing the brake switch that the psm/abs situation did not resolve. So they are continuing to troubleshoot. From the way they spoke before it sounded like it was in the bag, but now they said its only the first on the long list of troubleshooting.

What bothers me even more is when I said, so I'm not going to be charged for this brake switch because it didn't fix the problem right? The guy was all, "Oh, I don't know if it can be reused". I might have to hurt someone if they think I'm going to pay for something my car doesn't need.

Will keep you guys posted.

What recourse do I have if they do try to charge me?

Old 11-19-2008, 09:58 AM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
pay with a CC and dispute the charges.

Originally Posted by imolafem
*Annoyed!*

So I called the Porsche dealer to see what the deal is, and they said, well, after replacing the brake switch that the psm/abs situation did not resolve. So they are continuing to troubleshoot. From the way they spoke before it sounded like it was in the bag, but now they said its only the first on the long list of troubleshooting.

What bothers me even more is when I said, so I'm not going to be charged for this brake switch because it didn't fix the problem right? The guy was all, "Oh, I don't know if it can be reused". I might have to hurt someone if they think I'm going to pay for something my car doesn't need.

Will keep you guys posted.

What recourse do I have if they do try to charge me?

Old 11-19-2008, 07:30 PM
imolafem is a jewel in the roughimolafem is a jewel in the roughimolafem is a jewel in the roughimolafem is a jewel in the rough
Everything goes much better in person....

Rode the Duc down to the dealership to chat about prices and what's going on with the Turbo.

They are great guys to talk to and the technician took the time to chat about my car and show me other projects in the shop.

It looks like the car reports that the valve control box cannot talk to the brake switch, but the replacement brake switch didn't fix it and the wiring harness tested good. So this valve control box for PSM and ABS will need to be replaced as the next step. Since its almost $2k and 3.5 hours of labor for replacement and the issue goes away once the car is warmed up, I'm going to wait until it fails completely.

Old 11-19-2008, 07:38 PM
Everything goes much better in person....

Rode the Duc down to the dealership to chat about prices and what's going on with the Turbo.

They are great guys to talk to and the technician took the time to chat about my car and show me other projects in the shop.

It looks like the car reports that the valve control box cannot talk to the brake switch, but the replacement brake switch didn't fix it and the wiring harness tested good. So this valve control box for PSM and ABS will need to be replaced as the next step. Since its almost $2k and 3.5 hours of labor for replacement and the issue goes away once the car is warmed up, I'm going to wait until it fails completely.
Yep. My tech tested everything and said the problems were pointing to a bad ABS control unit ($2800 here). I said no no no, we are not going there yet. So we tried the harness for $120 and that seemed to fix it, but then I blew the MAF and need to determine if the codes are interrelated once I replace MAF and get the CEL to go off.

The trials and tribulations.....

Old 11-19-2008, 11:26 PM
art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !
Just change the MAF clear the code and let us know what happens.

Old 11-19-2008, 11:29 PM
Just change the MAF clear the code and let us know what happens.
Yup. MAF shipping and will be here next week. Gonna install and will report back.

Old 11-20-2008, 10:41 PM
Do you have the evo cold air intake? If yes, do you have the waffle? If you blow another MAF, I suggest you install the new Hitachi MAF, good for high HP cars. I blew 8 MAF's with my evo cold air intake even with waffle. With stage II you should be ok for now.

Old 11-20-2008, 10:46 PM
Do you have the evo cold air intake? If yes, do you have the waffle? If you blow another MAF, I suggest you install the new Hitachi MAF, good for high HP cars. I blew 8 MAF's with my evo cold air intake even with waffle. With stage II you should be ok for now.
Yup. I have the older EVO intake it appears. So no waffle. LuisGT2 said he would send me the extra one he has so that is cool of him. I have the MAF on the way from SpeedTech. I just wanna get it running right again and last awhile til I upgrade to a larger turbo kit - I am leaning toward k24/18g but I may go GT660 kit cuz Sharkwerks is here and I prefer they handle my car as far as upgrades.

How is your situation?

Old 11-20-2008, 10:50 PM
Well the clutch smoked two weeks ago in 1/4 mile run with street tires. Ran 12.8 sec (@1.2bar) slipped first, second, third, fourth, hit the rev limiter on all gears. I installed stage IV clutch with drag radials now. Back in track on 12/06/08, Famoso raceway. I will post the numbers soon. My ABS/PSM is still on, can't be the MAF now?? I will keep you posted.

Old 11-20-2008, 10:57 PM
Well the clutch smoked two weeks ago in 1/4 mile run with street tires. Ran 12.8 sec (@1.2bar) slipped first, second, third, fourth, hit the rev limiter on all gears. I installed stage IV clutch with drag radials now. Back in track on 12/06/08, Famoso raceway. I will post the numbers soon. My ABS/PSM is still on, can't be the MAF now?? I will keep you posted.
Nice. What are you hoping for? Low 11s? Crack into the 10s? Good luck.

Yeah you have the Hitachi so that doesn't make sense. Did you get the error code it is throwing?

Old 11-20-2008, 10:58 PM
Why would a failed MAF cause a PSM/ABS light?

Old 11-20-2008, 11:04 PM
Why would a failed MAF cause a PSM/ABS light?
Apparently the PSM/ABS error is a sort of catch-all for all kinds of issues.... which is why it is so tricky to identify and solve the problems sometimes

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Please Help: another PSM/ABS failure thread... (yes, I used search already)