996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Factory Short Shifter Part Number and Best Price for Part?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 11:41 PM
Banned
j.mitchell70 is on a distinguished road
Sorry to keep asking the same thing, but is the factory short shifter for the 997 different than the B&M 996 factory short shifter?

Old 04-21-2009, 11:19 PM
ExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond repute
i believe the factory ssk for the 997 is different fromt he b&m 996 SSk.

While I definitely appreciate the comments and reviews from those of you that have installed the 997 (standard throw kit for 170 bucks), I would really love to hear if anyone has installed the 997 SSK. My biggest fear is that I buy the standard kit and it is still not short enough for me. Id like to do this mod once without regret. Anyone install the 997 SSK rather than the standard kit?

Old 04-21-2009, 11:46 PM
Kato is just really niceKato is just really niceKato is just really niceKato is just really niceKato is just really nice
Originally Posted by ExclusiveTT
i believe the factory ssk for the 997 is different fromt he b&m 996 SSk.

While I definitely appreciate the comments and reviews from those of you that have installed the 997 (standard throw kit for 170 bucks), I would really love to hear if anyone has installed the 997 SSK. My biggest fear is that I buy the standard kit and it is still not short enough for me. Id like to do this mod once without regret. Anyone install the 997 SSK rather than the standard kit?
Plus one!!! I'm trying to decide between the two also... I'm coming from a B&M 996 SSK... Too notchy, especially when cold. Great throws for the most part but I'm ready to try something new!

Old 04-22-2009, 12:05 AM
ExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond repute
es, the b&m is way too notchy, but i suspect that the standard 997 will be too long for me (even though it is shorter than the stck 996tt throw). With this car, I feel like im rowing in a boat for the crew team! Please, somebody with a 997 SSK please chime in!!!!

Old 04-22-2009, 07:40 AM
Originally Posted by Kato
Plus one!!! I'm trying to decide between the two also... I'm coming from a B&M 996 SSK... Too notchy, especially when cold. Great throws for the most part but I'm ready to try something new!
You might want to check out this link for a thread I started. I hope to have some 997guys chime in:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post2355733

Old 04-22-2009, 01:04 PM
Basic Sponsor
SuncoastRyan is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastRyan is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastRyan is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastRyan is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastRyan is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastRyan is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastRyan is a splendid one to behold
The general consensus seems to be that the factory ssk is a great mod. Shorter throw than the 997 console upgrade and not as notchy as an aftermarket ssk.

You guys are in luck because we are running a special on these kits here!

ryan@suncoastparts.com

Old 04-22-2009, 01:11 PM
luva966tt will become famous soon enoughluva966tt will become famous soon enough
I just installed mine last weekend long with an Agency shift link. Did find it notchy but got use to it and love it. I find it to be alot more precise when shifting.

Old 04-22-2009, 02:30 PM
ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !
I have a factory SSK and love it. The throws are much shorter and the engagement is very positive. I wouldn't call it notchy but that's subjective.

Old 04-26-2009, 08:39 PM
stevengerard is on a distinguished road
my linkage just broke and it sounds like from this long thread that the 997 stock replacement shifter is a great way to go, one clarification - does it come with a the aluminum linkage part or do you need to buy that separately. I'd hate to put in a new shifter and then break the plastic linkage all over again

Old 04-26-2009, 08:52 PM
Danyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant future
It comes with a plastic linkage

Old 04-26-2009, 08:59 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by stevengerard
my linkage just broke and it sounds like from this long thread that the 997 stock replacement shifter is a great way to go, one clarification - does it come with a the aluminum linkage part or do you need to buy that separately. I'd hate to put in a new shifter and then break the plastic linkage all over again

The 997 shifter comes with everything you need to put it in. All you need to do is removed the 4 mounting nuts and undo the 2 cables. They give you the alignment tool for the shifter handle too. 45 minute job for someone who knows how to use tools.

and Yes, Danyol is correct, they are plastic too.

Last edited by ttboost; 04-26-2009 at 09:31 PM.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:18 AM
Dock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really nice
The factory short shifter and the B&M shifter both use the same physics to reduce the shift throws...they increase the distance between the shifter pivot and the shift cable attach point. If one of the two units shifts smoother, then it is just a matter of it having more accurate cable length adjustments.

The B&M unit is a great shifter...if the cable lengths are adjusted properly.

Old 04-27-2009, 08:43 AM
CarreraMark is on a distinguished road
yes, so easy a caveman could do it ....

Originally Posted by ttboost
The 997 shifter comes with everything you need to put it in. All you need to do is removed the 4 mounting nuts and undo the 2 cables. They give you the alignment tool for the shifter handle too. 45 minute job for someone who knows how to use tools.

and Yes, Danyol is correct, they are plastic too.

Old 04-29-2009, 05:34 AM
jimmy k is a jewel in the roughjimmy k is a jewel in the roughjimmy k is a jewel in the roughjimmy k is a jewel in the rough
My car came with the B&M SSK, and it's the only thing that I have disliked about the car thusfar. I just recently installed the regular 997 shifter, and although it's a longer throw, it's just sooo buttery smooth.

Coming from an e46 M3 which had even longer throws (school bus like), the 997 shifter is awesome.