996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Brake Fluid-Low Warning - False

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-09-2004, 10:09 PM
AndyW is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by collin996tt
Yikes. Sounds like another one of those 2nd gear popout phenomenon where the dealer can't prove or disprove?
Better report it with porsche service dept first so they have a record before your warranty is over
Good idea! Thanks.

Andy

Old 09-09-2004, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by KPV
Andy,
First off, it is Ken, not Kevin. No harm, no foul.
I have taken the turbo on the track twice. I have taken many other cars on the track many other times. Gunther's explanation of a sticking float seems to makes sense although it is kind of silly in a car like this. My brakes are the Brembo GT's with 15 in rotors with 8 piston calipers in front and 14 inch rotors and larger 4 piston calipers in the rear. I am using Brembo's own racing brake fluid (600 degree). Even with the disconcerting lights going off, I paused through it the first time and then drove through it the subsequent times without ill effects. I was running Pocono wherein you are constantly braking from 160mph to about 80mph off the front straight. I never experienced any fade or any other detrimental effect.

I am filled to the max line as well on the reservoir. I wonder if the reservoir was less full if the effect would go away. Maybe the high fill level places the float at a point in the reservoir that is more susceptible to binding. Maybe we should try lower fluid levels??? Technically, anything between the High and Low marks is acceptable.
Ken, Ken, Ken, Ken, Ken (pretend I wrote this out on a board somewhere 500 times! ;-)

Thanks for the additional information. I'm wondering what other 'brake fluid' warning indicators/conditions the Porsche can 'flag' to us. If the fluid 'boils', what will the car say to us ? If the fluid is 'low', it seems a bunch of us have gotten THAT message.

When I ran the track, it was at Max. When I ran through the hills, I had just bled out the stock fluid and put in Motul RBF 600 (not quite as high a temp as your Brembo fluid, but pretty good in my book 593 dry, 420 wet) and filled it half-way between min and max (and had the warning come up at least 2+ times). I have since filled it back to max.

Interesting theory/speculation about the level being a factor of where the float might be binding. Both the float being the culprit and the level seem to be plausible ideas to me.

With your set-up, I don't see you boiling your fluid anytime soon! ;-) That's just MASSIVE!!!!

I have always felt my stock 996TT brake set-up "felt" weaker than my brake set-up on my last fun-car, but haven't had time to go take the G-tech to go take "real" measurements to compare the two.

I was hoping the brakes might be sufficient for the track and focus on working the suspension instead. I have a couple of back-to-back track days coming up and want to see if the stock set-up will ever show me fade of any sort. The next step before I get tempted to break down and upgrade, would be to change out the stock pads and possibly get stainless steel brakelines (but I'm not feeling 'mushy' feel in the brakes, I just feel it doesn't engage 'quickly' enough, my foot has to 'travel' more than I think it should, and the braking seems to be linear to pedal travel at best).

Thanks,

Old 09-10-2004, 02:28 AM
collin996tt is on a distinguished road
That's so bizarre. What happens if you stuff a little thick rubber balloon/ball in there, or may be fins?

Old 09-10-2004, 09:28 PM
Interesting idea. but would that effect be any diffferent than further filling the fluid level above 'max' ? If we had an unmounted (userd or new) unit, we could fill it with water or anything and see how far you would have to fill it before short of being upside down, the sensor would never sense 'lack of fluid'.

So far, it sounds like :

1) Float stick
2) ECU programming error
3) <something else?>

seem to be the list of possible causes.

Old 02-29-2016, 11:44 AM
Integral will become famous soon enough
figured i'd revive this seeing as how no one really has a "fix" for this...even 12 years later.

it happened to me yesterday, so i was thankful to see all these "screw it, full throttle - it doesn't matter" replies. however, i'd like to NOT have to clear it or see it in the middle of a session.

any thoughts?

Old 02-29-2016, 10:52 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Integral
figured i'd revive this seeing as how no one really has a "fix" for this...even 12 years later.

it happened to me yesterday, so i was thankful to see all these "screw it, full throttle - it doesn't matter" replies. however, i'd like to NOT have to clear it or see it in the middle of a session.

any thoughts?
It used to happen to me all the time at the track. There is a very simple fit for this. It normally happens when the fluid level is a little too high. Just take a syringe and remove a some fluid making sure that the level is below the max line on the reservoir when hot. Once I did this I never had it happen again. I know, it's a little counterintuitive but it works.

Old 03-01-2016, 09:58 PM
brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !
+1 guys. I had this happen at Motorsport Ranch. Blue fluid with 997 GT3 6 pistons up front. I'm assuming that there is some volume expansion with the heat generated in the system that's just enough to raise the overall fluid level. I removed about a capfull and no more issues!

Old 03-01-2016, 10:35 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by brockster
+1 guys. I had this happen at Motorsport Ranch. Blue fluid with 997 GT3 6 pistons up front. I'm assuming that there is some volume expansion with the heat generated in the system that's just enough to raise the overall fluid level. I removed about a capfull and no more issues!
Correct. Once the fluid heats up from track use, the corresponding level rises in the reservoir. Once it gets above the full mark, the warning light comes on. The key is to start with fluid level about 1/4" below the full mark when cold.

Old 03-02-2016, 08:32 AM
z06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by pwdrhound
Correct. Once the fluid heats up from track use, the corresponding level rises in the reservoir. Once it gets above the full mark, the warning light comes on. The key is to start with fluid level about 1/4" below the full mark when cold.
I've been following this as it happens to me at the track, no real change in the pedal but disturbing to see any brake warning at speed. So last night I pulled some out must have pulled to much because when I drove the car to run a errand got the low brake fluid warning followed by pms failure light. I'll bring it back to that 1/4" below full mark.

Old 03-04-2016, 09:27 AM
Integral will become famous soon enough
nice - don't have another track day for a while, but i'm certainly TOPPED off; i'll take some out and hope for the best.

thanks!